PDA

View Full Version : Miata 92 shakes 2-3 rpm -out of gear.

MartinInShorts
08-04-2013, 05:29 PM
Recently bought a 92 Miata. The engine is all stock. Ca turns on fine and idles well. Drives in gear fine as well. At time when I am driving between 2-3k rpm the car can shake, and when I say car I mean the whole thing shakes. I have tried to see if the car shakes when in gear and when out of gear- I notice it doesn't matter what gear. I changed thee oil to 5-30w Castro full syn. Changed new spark plugs. When I removed the 4th spark plug today, I noticed oil on the spark plug thread. Looked in the spark hole and noticed minimal oil between the head and block. Than I looked into the cylinder and noticed the piston has small indentions as appose to the 1st and 2nd cylinder , which where smooth. The 3rd had a little but not much. Any who, I Im wondering if anyone has experienced this and has any input? The previous owner told me the water pump and timing belt had recently been replaced. Being overwhelmed with the purchase I didn't ask for paper or date. Any help ? 1992 Mx-5 1.6 . 132,xxx miles .

MartinInShorts
08-04-2013, 10:40 PM
15 views I appreciate, but any input?

I<3flippyheadlights
08-05-2013, 12:10 AM
Have you tried revving the engine from the engine bay and seeing what shakes? Sounds like motor mounts to me.

BoBo
08-05-2013, 01:11 AM
That's a good one, check motor mounts. Have somebody rev it for you while you check. If it's not, check your ignition components. Vibration can come from a lot of places and the only way to find out is to have someone look for it, while the other rev the motor.

kung fu jesus
08-05-2013, 06:45 AM
Sounds like driveline issues. If it isn't motor mounts, I would suspect your driveshaft may have bad u-joints.

MartinInShorts
08-05-2013, 10:27 AM
I checked the mounts and they all seemed fine. I drove her yesterday with zero issues and I also drove in 3-4k rpm in most gears and expirienced little to no shaking.

MartinInShorts
08-05-2013, 10:30 AM
Sounds like driveline issues. If it isn't motor mounts, I would suspect your driveshaft may have bad u-joints.

I have had that isuse on my S13 whick had a bad mid-shaft mount. It would shake the whole car, but it would shake all the time until I changed it. Thank you for the tip. I'll Jack it up and check. Does it seem odd that it only happens in 2-3k rpm and or in 3rd gear?

kung fu jesus
08-05-2013, 10:49 AM
OK, here's a problem...This is some advice to give you so the community can help you. It's not criticism.

The original post says the car shakes at 2-3k rpm in gear, but you don't state if the car also shakes OUT of gear, in neutral. The rest of the post is pretty much unrelated to the issue you created in the thread title. It's vague and scattered. People cannot help to what they don't understand, you know? We DO want to help you, but you have to help yourself for that to happen. So, 15 views and no answers means you are not stating your problem clearly enough or those that HAVE seen it just don't know. If you can't describe the problem, use pics or videos. Most people have smart phones. Use that. They don't need to be archive quality, but documenting the issue helps others to see and understand. :)

The Miata and S13 have different driveline setups, so your experience with that car has little to do with the Miata.

If you checked the mounts, that means you removed them? The OEM mounts are rubber and hidden behind metal 'cups'. They age, tear, separate. It's pretty common, especially if yours are original and twenty one years old.

If your mounts are good AND it happens ONLY in one gear, it is gearbox-related. If it happens in most gears, mounts are good, it's most likely driveline related, like the bad driveshaft mentioned above. If it is a bad driveshaft, it will soon be a bad differential, too.

I<3flippyheadlights
08-05-2013, 12:46 PM
If you haven't changed your motor mounts, they are shot. My car used to shake like crazy. Then I replaced both motor mounts and the car feels great.

MartinInShorts
08-05-2013, 12:52 PM
OK, here's a problem...This is some advice to give you so the community can help you. It's not criticism.

The original post says the car shakes at 2-3k rpm in gear, but you don't state if the car also shakes OUT of gear, in neutral. The rest of the post is pretty much unrelated to the issue you created in the thread title. It's vague and scattered. People cannot help to what they don't understand, you know? We DO want to help you, but you have to help yourself for that to happen. So, 15 views and no answers means you are not stating your problem clearly enough or those that HAVE seen it just don't know. If you can't describe the problem, use pics or videos. Most people have smart phones. Use that. They don't need to be archive quality, but documenting the issue helps others to see and understand. :)

The Miata and S13 have different driveline setups, so your experience with that car has little to do with the Miata.

If you checked the mounts, that means you removed them? The OEM mounts are rubber and hidden behind metal 'cups'. They age, tear, separate. It's pretty common, especially if yours are original and twenty one years old.

If your mounts are good AND it happens ONLY in one gear, it is gearbox-related. If it happens in most gears, mounts are good, it's most likely driveline related, like the bad driveshaft mentioned above. If it is a bad driveshaft, it will soon be a bad differential, too.

Thank you for the advice. Appreciate the input.
Back on track.
It shakes only in the 2-3k rpm range it can start while in gear (3rd usually) , but if I clutch and remove it from gear it will continue to shake. Once I break or slow down , the shaking will stop and idle peRRRfectly. I will check the car this week and get back to you guys. Thank you.