PDA

View Full Version : Stance passé?

Johnnie
08-20-2013, 12:20 PM
The mods at Miata.net have recently created a "slammed" sub-forum that offers a place for m.netizens to discuss stanced cars without being ridiculed by the majority.

So, does this signal the beginning of the end for the stance trend? What's next?

Discuss.

tsingson
08-20-2013, 12:43 PM
Maybe they are realizing that this is one area that they were getting killed in by the other sites?

The Driver
08-20-2013, 12:52 PM
Never been a fan of the "low and slow" cars. But it ain't my money, they should do as they please. Just don't try to tell me that those Chinese coilovers are as good or work as well as the FCM/XIDA/AFCO stuff, and we'll be alright.

etikoner
08-20-2013, 01:04 PM
They were smart and made a subforum so that people can talk slam all they want and not ruin the search function on the normal suspension forum? Lol

Either way, they're a bit late to the game lol

Johnnie
08-20-2013, 01:16 PM
My take on the creation of the forum is that they are trying to expand their membership. Good job, m.net is a big board and there is room for every kind of Miata.

To my other point, can anybody enlighten me as to the direction the form-over-function cars are headed next? The current trend has legs, but it will go out of style eventually. Remember supra-style wings in the 90s? And body kits that looked like a carp? Where are they now (other than on the occasional shitbox mustang or sentra or whatever.)

The Driver
08-20-2013, 01:19 PM
^ It's just a fad, like drifting was. Drifting is still fairly big, but nothing like it was 3-4 years ago, and shrinking.

In 3-4 years, that whole stance thing will be a thing of the past. Frankly I'n surprised how long it has lasted, I mean; who wants to buy tires every 5-6 months?

afc2112
08-20-2013, 01:37 PM
New tires every 5-6 months? Jeez and I thought rear engined cars were hard on tires.

I<3flippyheadlights
08-20-2013, 02:06 PM
You should see the old M.net trolls in the subforum; it's fantastic.

How is drifting dying out? That stuff has been around forever

SM16RMSM
08-20-2013, 02:20 PM
You do as your please. Now that I look back at it, do you thing the Fast & Furious movies help push certain things like drifting. I never heard about drifting until Tokyo Drift came out. Next thing I knew, my buddies where all into drifting.

tsingson
08-20-2013, 02:27 PM
There were a lot of underground people that knew about drifting prior to Tokyo Drift. I knew about it but I never really got into it. I saw all the money that would be wasted on tires and it just wasn't worth it to me.

Fads come and go and stance has really started to kinda drop off from what I am seeing. What I love reading is how people bash the trend when they were one of the ones who helped push it into the mainstream.

The Driver
08-20-2013, 03:13 PM
How is drifting dying out? That stuff has been around forever

Huh, forever? Come on man, that stuff didn't even exploded in America until around 2003-2004, how is that forever?

How many thousands of people flock to see those events, more like hundreds. I've ran 10K foot races that had more runners than the average drifting event!

morr
08-20-2013, 04:48 PM
My take on the creation of the forum is that they are trying to expand their membership. Good job, m.net is a big board and there is room for every kind of Miata.

To my other point, can anybody enlighten me as to the direction the form-over-function cars are headed next? The current trend has legs, but it will go out of style eventually. Remember supra-style wings in the 90s? And body kits that looked like a carp? Where are they now (other than on the occasional shitbox mustang or sentra or whatever.)

I'll admit, I appreciate a well taken care of slammed Miata like Nate (purple NA) or CJ's (93 LE). I just can't stand seeing people purposely take a crap on their cars cuz they "don't give a sh*t."

That being said, it seems like the "track style" is coming up sorta like a "track oriented rice" phase. People are all about aero, big wings, flares, etc. Granted, I know a few of those people do actually track their cars and at least get good tires and suspension upgrades. But I'm noticing a lot of people just doing flares and a wing to fit in. Sure it might look good, but it bugs me if they're just doing it for the look. To me it's just as impractical as slamming a car. Only difference is it's still drivable.

SM16RMSM
08-20-2013, 05:24 PM
^^^ sound like me. I like the whole race look and I'm a pretty good driver overall. It kinda what I planning the MSM as, a DD track car that actually runs some track events.

morr
08-20-2013, 05:34 PM
Yeah I plan to make my NA a pure driver's car while still being comfortable since it's my DD. But if I were to get a giant wing or something for function, I definitely would only put it on for track days. I feel like it's just asking for attention whether it's other drivers or police. I understand some people do it just cuz they like the way it looks. But to me, unless it's fully functional, it's just as ricey as the Fast and Furious days. It's just less slightly less obnoxious cuz it isn't a body kit or loud color.

mini_fd
08-21-2013, 04:31 PM
Rally cross is the new thing. Even though its old, the new ford st is bringing it back.

Dmn2258
08-21-2013, 04:41 PM
those guys earned mad respect in my book....branching out and shit

mini_fd
08-21-2013, 05:22 PM
I am also entertained by the most recent event a couple weeks ago on tv

SM16RMSM
08-21-2013, 06:11 PM
Yeah I plan to make my NA a pure driver's car while still being comfortable since it's my DD. But if I were to get a giant wing or something for function, I definitely would only put it on for track days. I feel like it's just asking for attention whether it's other drivers or police. I understand some people do it just cuz they like the way it looks. But to me, unless it's fully functional, it's just as ricey as the Fast and Furious days. It's just less slightly less obnoxious cuz it isn't a body kit or loud color.

For function, something along the lines of the spoilers on Bill Schenker CSP Miata. But I would have it on a spare truck lid. Switch the racing lid for track days and swap the street lid on other days.

Johnnie
08-21-2013, 07:14 PM
For function, something along the lines of the spoilers on Bill Schenker CSP Miata. But I would have it on a spare truck lid. Switch the racing lid for track days and swap the street lid on other days.

Bill's setup is autocross specific and would have too much drag to be worthwhile at track-day speeds.

The cost of an aero setup versus the benefit for HPDE isn't worth it, in my opinion. Even Spec Miatas, which are actual race cars, don't employ aero, but that's part of the spec formula. They could employ aero and reap a benefit in races, I'm sure, but it just adds more complication to a grassroots racing series that's meant to be simple and inexpensive.

The big wings and flares and splitters and diffusers that seem to be the next trend may seem functional, but they really aren't if you're just doing DE with your street car.

Spend your money on seat time and tires and suspenion. (more or less in that order, too) You'll get more from that than anything else.

Edit: I say all this as a person who has not yet done a track day, but my car is legal to run with SCCA and NASA and any other group, so I'm ready when the funds and time become available. If I spent even a dollar on aero, that would be one less dollar I'd have for getting out on the track.

SM16RMSM
08-21-2013, 07:28 PM
:fp: I said it wrong. I would use use that type of spoiler for autocross days, not track days. I wasn't thinking. For track day, I would go wingless. The miata is well rounded for it being a race car with no aero support.

wannafbody
08-21-2013, 07:29 PM
Unless you are putting times down close to Spec Miata times then you aren't going to realize the benefit of aero work.

Johnnie
08-21-2013, 07:39 PM
Unless you are putting times down close to Spec Miata times then you aren't going to realize the benefit of aero work.

You may notice a benefit with a proper aero setup even with street tires, but setting the fastest lap isn't the goal in HPDE. It's not racing.

Unless guys are entering their dds in races, and there's no class for it really (unless you want to chump or LeMons your daily where aero mods would be legal) it's still not *really* functional aero.

It might be legal for time attack. Is there a time attack series that people do?

SM16RMSM
08-21-2013, 08:27 PM
When I look at a Miata, I honestly think an aero package will help some to a certain degree. After that, it will do more harm than good. You want to be fast, have minimal drag and still be planted on a track. Look at 949 Racing for example, until 2012, there Miatas had no aero support. They were still fast and light as can be. Our cars are light enough that we can work without a aero package. Heavier cars will need more aero support to have the grip. When autocross come into the fold, your not concerned with top speed, but more grip to maintain a faster pace. You want to get as much grip as possible. I've seen some wild Time Attack and Autocross cars.

Phatmiata
08-21-2013, 08:38 PM
that section would be a great place for MR and CR trolls to lay waste to. :toofunny:

Massiah
08-22-2013, 12:21 PM
Never been a fan of the "low and slow" cars. But it ain't my money, they should do as they please. Just don't try to tell me that those Chinese coilovers are as good or work as well as the FCM/XIDA/AFCO stuff, and we'll be alright.
So, I'm probably going to get some (a lot of) flack for this but Ricelands can and have been successfully used in competition, and have won. Both in NASA TT and in some local STS AutoX. For the street, installed by someone who isn't an idiot, they can and have lasted for 3yrs/60k miles. Just need to change the spring rates and not run at rail scraping heights, is all.

Now, I'm definitely not saying they're better. I've driven a couple of cars with this setup and the damping is sketchy and bouncy at best. I'm also not looking to compare dyno/argue for. Just simply giving information :)

The Driver
08-22-2013, 12:36 PM
So, I'm probably going to get some (a lot of) flack for this but Ricelands can and have been successfully used in competition, and have won. Both in NASA TT and in some local STS AutoX. For the street, installed by someone who isn't an idiot, they can and have lasted for 3yrs/60k miles. Just need to change the spring rates and not run at rail scraping heights, is all.

Now, I'm definitely not saying they're better. I've driven a couple of cars with this setup and the damping is sketchy and bouncy at best. I'm also not looking to compare dyno/argue for. Just simply giving information :)

I don't see why you need a flame suit. I can tell you that when I tracked my car during the FM summer camp, I did not set the track on fire. There where a bunch of guys with KYB AGX that kicked my ass at the track. They had honed skills, and I (been a first timer) didn't. But whenever they drove my car, they were amazed of how my suspension work. A ride does not have to be punishing, to be sporty, even if the car sits low. BTW, my ride heights are 12.25F, 12.75R; so it's not like my car sits on stilts.

afc2112
08-22-2013, 01:14 PM
:fp: I said it wrong. I would use use that type of spoiler for autocross days, not track days. I wasn't thinking. For track day, I would go wingless. The miata is well rounded for it being a race car with no aero support.

You're topping out at 60mph for an autoX, how much would a spoiler like that help you?

Johnnie
08-22-2013, 02:17 PM
You're topping out at 60mph for an autoX, how much would a spoiler like that help you?

Aero can come on around 35mph from what I hear. I suppose I could use a big wing on the rear. Set up the car to be loose in the tight stuff and rely on downforce to keep the tail from wagging in the slaloms.

Massiah
08-22-2013, 02:53 PM
I don't see why you need a flame suit. I can tell you that when I tracked my car during the FM summer camp, I did not set the track on fire. There where a bunch of guys with KYB AGX that kicked my ass at the track. They had honed skills, and I (been a first timer) didn't. But whenever they drove my car, they were amazed of how my suspension work. A ride does not have to be punishing, to be sporty, even if the car sits low. BTW, my ride heights are 12.25F, 12.75R; so it's not like my car sits on stilts.
Flame suit because most of the time even mentioning the things starts arguments, haha.

DK Wolf
08-24-2013, 07:41 AM
You guys are lucky I'm no longer a rage-aholic on this kind of stuff. (or in general)

I'd join M.net just to cause some well-needed destruction and stir a few pots here and there.