PDA

View Full Version : Timing belt failure on my Miata

Carroll Boy
09-11-2013, 11:12 PM
I'm a newbie. Sorry, this is probably the oldest question on the forum. Can't find an answer quickly. Is the Miata valve train free wheeling or interference? I've read in some places that failure of the timing belt does not result in valve/piston interference. The Haynes manual says that belt mistiming at installation will "result in significant engine damage" - hinting that it is an interference design. Which is it?

3MiataFamily
09-11-2013, 11:36 PM
totally a NON INTERFERENCE motor...that statement in the Haynes manual is incorrect, but kinda generic for a lot of motors.

worst thing that will happen is you will be horribly inconvenienced, at night, with your girlfriend/wife all hot and bothered, in a rainstorm...and you coast to the side of the road...SOL on multiple levels...:fp:

that said, these things go for lots of miles...over 100k in most cases...and 20+ years in other cases...

BoBo
09-12-2013, 03:33 AM
Non interference.

WASABI
09-12-2013, 06:05 AM
you will be horribly inconvenienced, at night, with your girlfriend/wife all hot and bothered, in a rainstorm...and you coast to the side of the road...SOL on multiple levels...:fp:

Happened to me, except it was a hot coworker, in the hot afternoon... we had to walk a mile back to the office, and I to tow the car back to my house to do the repair. No issues with the car after I replaced the timing belt. (true story)

-Jim

JUST KIDDING... HAPPILY MARRIED!

atank
09-12-2013, 06:26 AM
It happened to me on a test drive, with the seller............got the Roadster for a steal after that!!!!
(true, true)

WASABI
09-12-2013, 08:04 AM
Anthony, talk about perfect timing. (pun intended). Out of curiosity, how much did the price drop?

tsingson
09-12-2013, 08:13 AM
Anthony, talk about perfect timing. (pun intended). Out of curiosity, how much did the price drop?

Yes, I am curious as well.

atank
09-12-2013, 08:32 AM
Okay, so after we pushed it back to the house, I made an offer (1/2 of what I was going to offer originally), and they took it. Nice wheels, with new tires, good body, interior was shot. They were asking $1.5k obo...

BlitzWing
09-12-2013, 09:55 AM
this thread reminds me I need to take a look at my timing belt I cant find any record of it being swapped in the last 6 years. Still its good to know I wont be out an engine if the worst does happen

Carroll Boy
09-12-2013, 09:39 PM
Thank you to all for the comments. Now i'm confident in knowing it's non-interference. My son had a Mitsubishi that experienced a belt failure and trashed the engine. Expensive lesson and leaves a lasting impression. The car is at 84000 miles and next i'm going to inspect the belt. More help to a newbie? I can't figure out how to register the "Thanks Given" message at the lower left corner of a post. Help?

Martin
09-13-2013, 01:46 PM
More help to a newbie? I can't figure out how to register the "Thanks Given" message at the lower left corner of a post. Help?

Should just have to click the little "thumbs up" picture.

Carroll Boy
09-13-2013, 10:21 PM
But, it's not always there. I only find it when someone else has said thanks. Sorry to be a dummy.

psulja
09-14-2013, 12:04 PM
It should be in the left corner of the light blue bar at the bottom of each post. Except for on your own posts. Right beside the "Report Posts" triangle button.