PDA

View Full Version : The "Rooster" aka the Miata formerly as "Phat" for sale!

The Driver
09-15-2013, 02:46 PM
No joke, here is the link!

http://www.dfwautoclub.com/forums/showthread.php?p=124069

horribleR
09-15-2013, 03:41 PM
Interesting choice.

SM16RMSM
09-15-2013, 03:56 PM
Wait, the roadster that Phat built himself?

The Driver
09-15-2013, 03:58 PM
Wait, the roadster that Phat built himself?

Well that he built, and sold...

Madaboutmx5s
09-15-2013, 04:31 PM
Blimey this and the Blue Potato were iconic cars for me from you guys stateside on roadsters done right. Sorry to see both with parts removed to varying extents.

theothersawyer
09-15-2013, 04:49 PM
This is sad for sure!

Don't bring up the blue potato, sadly I have to see what's left of that car all the time and it's in rough shape.... :(

morr
09-15-2013, 05:37 PM
For the love of all that is Miata-related, I hope if someone buys the car "outright" that it isn't some teenage hipster. I understand a car is a car, but it'd be such a shame to see another beautiful car go to waste.

Phatmiata
09-15-2013, 05:58 PM
Steve told me the car was already sold. :(

Ihatecars
09-15-2013, 07:32 PM
Next up for sale: Sharka.
Honestly, I'd sell my Miata if I had the chance to get a 911. Anyday.

BoBo
09-15-2013, 07:34 PM
That was a nice roadster, I would have kept it even if I wanted to get s 911. I would use the roadster for track and DD beater and the 911 for mostly track .However, wouldn't go too crazy on the Porsche at HPDE, too much at stake. Most people that I meet at the track use their miata more, but sometimes go a bit easy on their Porsche for the same reason. Maintenance is crazy on those German toys, at least for me until I finish school.

Stealth97
09-15-2013, 07:45 PM
Nicest looking Miata that ever has been, IMO

R2Limited
09-15-2013, 07:47 PM
Request to change this thread title to include the name "Rooster".

And, yup, sale pending. The new owner seems to be the type to continue the legacy. He is buying it mostly as is with very little parting out being done

Ihatecars
09-15-2013, 07:53 PM
Please tell me you're buying a 911.
I think I'd kill myself if you bought a Cayenne or Boxster.

revlimiter
09-15-2013, 08:10 PM

Sharka will be for sale when I'm no longer breathing. I'd rather cut off an arm.

And Steve - hope the sale goes through for ya!

revlimiter
09-15-2013, 08:18 PM
As for the rest of this thread, I feel the need to put in my 2 cents.

Randy's car was always an inspiration to me. A hero car. Seriously, not just saying. Phat, TBP, and Hakuna were 3 of my very first Roadster Muses. I loved them immensely. Each were drooled on over the net for many hours, both late night and at work.

When I got the chance to see THE PhatMiata in person I was giddy. You know... getting to meet one of your heroes. It's a big day. And then Rooster drove up.

It really wasn't the same car. Steve changed enough on it that it ceased to be PhatMiata and became Rooster. I feel confident saying that due to how big a fan I was. I might not have known EVERY mod on PhatMiata, but I knew most mods at a glance. They had changed. The car grew.

Steve really took the car and made it his own. It actually evolved. One of my hero cars became something greater. It really wasn't Randy's car anymore. It was Rooster. I think I attempted to babble this out to Stoly over dinner once. Not sure if it was successful either then or now. To sum up, it was the exact opposite of what happened to The Blue Potato.

So, I disagree with the thread title. The original PhatMiata hasn't existed in a long time. It evolved into something else. Something more.

The Driver
09-15-2013, 08:23 PM
Request to change this thread title to include the name "Rooster".

And, yup, sale pending. The new owner seems to be the type to continue the legacy. He is buying it mostly as is with very little parting out being done

Permision granted, will do when I get home.

Oldgrayfrog
09-15-2013, 09:13 PM
Well I kept my Miata when I bought my 911. Two totally different types of cars.

BoBo
09-15-2013, 09:32 PM
Please tell me you're buying a 911.
I think I'd kill myself if you bought a Cayenne or Boxster.

The 3rd gen Boxster's are much better than the 986 & 987 . Those early Boxster's had multiple engine problems specially on the standard models, It's ticking time bomb.

BoBo
09-15-2013, 09:44 PM

+1
I made a mistake in selling my pumped up 92, but I'm not making the same mistake on my 96. For the little money that I paid on my miata, I got a lot in return, a lightweight roadster that's cheap on consumables and all it needs is power. I gotta say, the 911 is a different animal, it is complete sports car. What model is your 911?

Ihatecars
09-15-2013, 10:33 PM
Sharka will be for sale when I'm no longer breathing. I'd rather cut off an arm.

And Steve - hope the sale goes through for ya!

If my roadster was as special as Sharks or Rooster I don't think I could ever sell it.
I'm glad to know you at least feel the same way, Revlimiter.. Err or Adam?

On a side note. I feel weird calling you by your first name, but I feel dumb for not using your first name when I know it. I guess I'll use both.

R2Limited
09-15-2013, 11:09 PM

If I had a 4 car garage and an even more ridiculously understanding wife (she is already ridiculously understanding) this might be an option. My daily driver is a bit of a high maintenance, modified car. So that would make 3 total "fun" cars for me. Not bloody likely. Rooster is making way for the next blank canvas.

For what it's worth, I am aiming for a clean 996 turbo.

Phatmiata
09-16-2013, 09:22 AM
I pretty much stripped that car down to bone stock condition, save the red interior (and I kept my old seats) before selling it to Steve, he did a great job building it back up again into his own creation.
I'm glad the car stayed classy, Steve has good taste :cheers: , let's hope the new owner keeps it that way.

FWIW I never saw what happened to Peter's Blue Potato? Just seen / read internet chatter about it getting totaled, is there a photo somewhere on the ATL forum?

revlimiter
09-16-2013, 09:46 AM
It requires a bit of instagram research, Randy. The new owner is called something like pitcrewracingkid. You can see pix of his car in there.

Phatmiata
09-16-2013, 09:57 AM
It requires a bit of instagram research, Randy. The new owner is called something like pitcrewracingkid. You can see pix of his car in there.

Looks like pitcrew no more from what I found ............

R2Limited
09-16-2013, 10:02 AM
The TBP pitcrew nose is presently being repaired and installed on another Miata (http://clubroadster.net/vb_forum/89-roadster-projects/53841-phillyb-s-little-white-bitch-52.html#post2645129).

Dandy
09-16-2013, 11:13 AM
I didn't realize that R2Limited's roadster was once Phat's. I do see the differences as well as the similarities. Two really great builds. Still less than 50k miles . . . she's been doing a lot of modeling without a lot of exercising - and still looks great. I hope she gets another fine home.

That 3 window soft top is really growing on me. I did a quick search and it looks like they are not currently in production anymore. I'd have interest if a good condition one became available.

The Driver
09-16-2013, 11:16 AM
I didn't realize that R2Limited's roadster was once Phat's. I do see the differences as well as the similarities. Two really great builds. Still less than 50k miles . . . she's been doing a lot of modeling without a lot of exercising - and still looks great. I hope she gets another fine home.

it's like Woodstock, or when the BUCS won the Super Bowl, you had to be there!

Unk577
09-16-2013, 11:19 AM
Honestly, I'd sell my Miata if I had the chance to get a 911. Anyday.

Yeah but not for a 996. Should be able to buy a 996 with the change you find under the seat.
Now a 930, 964, 993....yeah that would be a different story

Also don't count the Cayman out, it is a very capable car

R2Limited
09-16-2013, 11:28 AM
You must have lots more change under your seat than I do.

Martin
09-16-2013, 11:41 AM
That 3 window soft top is really growing on me. I did a quick search and it looks like they are not currently in production anymore. I'd have interest if a good condition one became available.
Go Miata still lists 3-window tops:

http://www.gomiata.com/keeautopmxmi4.html
http://www.gomiata.com/keeautopmxmi3.html

Dandy
09-16-2013, 11:45 AM
Go Miata still lists 3-window tops:

http://www.gomiata.com/keeautopmxmi4.html
http://www.gomiata.com/keeautopmxmi3.html

Thanks Martin! Like I said, I did a quick search. I'll have to check those out.

Edit: Not sure I like the non-zip window on those. I'd be worried about creasing.

JDMPalace
09-16-2013, 02:19 PM
I'm sure you are going to miss the rooster. But you will enjoy the new project what ever it might be !! It's always nice to get your hand on something different and start fresh.

R2Limited
09-16-2013, 02:36 PM
I'm sure you are going to miss the rooster. But you will enjoy the new project what ever it might be !! It's always nice to get your hand on something different and start fresh.

Thanks, man. I wish I had a warehouse in which to store all of my creations ;) I'm excited, though, to get on to the next one.

You're right. I will miss Rooster. Just like I miss my NB and most of my cars before that.

94R
09-16-2013, 03:32 PM
I wish I had the balls to sell my NA so I can buy a 911 (my preference is a 993 or 964). Alas, the thought of maintaining such a car scares both my mechanical ability and my financial ability. Good luck to you and post up on the new project once you have it, I'm certain it'd be just as classy as rooster.

DK Wolf
09-16-2013, 03:58 PM
I wish I had the balls to sell my NA so I can buy a 911 (my preference is a 993 or 964). Alas, the thought of maintaining such a car scares both my mechanical ability and my financial ability. Good luck to you and post up on the new project once you have it, I'm certain it'd be just as classy as rooster.

Porsches are pretty damn reliable young Padawan.

Reeves Callaway once told me this

"If you want a fast car.. get a Chevy... you want a fast reliable car? Get a Porsche"

Anyway, I did order my Xidas with 949 already, but they haven't shipped yet. If this sale falls through, I'll snag the ones on Steve's car and pocket the extra couple hundred.

DK Wolf
09-16-2013, 04:00 PM
Mine is at 380k and still strong! WOO!
http://i.imgur.com/2ehym3k.jpg

R2Limited
09-16-2013, 04:15 PM
Porsches are pretty damn reliable young Padawan.
Everything I've read in my small amount of research thus far would indicate that the 996T is pretty damned reliable. A few plastic bits here and there that might wear out due to heat cycling. But nothing that can't be handled reasonably.

Anyway, I did order my Xidas with 949 already, but they haven't shipped yet. If this sale falls through, I'll snag the ones on Steve's car and pocket the extra couple hundred.
Not so fast, mister. Check your FB messages. Car is being sold as-is.

DK Wolf
09-16-2013, 04:29 PM

Damn Texans

BoBo
09-16-2013, 05:07 PM
Everything I've read in my small amount of research thus far would indicate that the 996T is pretty damned reliable. A few plastic bits here and there that might wear out due to heat cycling. But nothing that can't be handled reasonably.

+1 the 996t,gt3,gt3rs all have bullet proof engines.Excluding minor bits and pieces, but that's normal on Porsche. It was the 996 911 & 996 911s and early the boxsters that had multiple engine failure. I was lucky enough not run into (intermediate shaft bearing issue) on my old 2000 Boxster S because I had the 3.2L motor.

My grandfather has the 996T x50 package its stupid fast with plenty of potential. I thought my Boxster S was fast till I drove the 996T. I gotta say that my dads 997 C2S was almost but not quite as fast as the 996T, but using the sports button that comes with the (sports crono package) with minor ecu tuning. The only thing that your going to be replacing is the clutch maybe every 15-25K and the rear tires often more than the front and it's not cheap.

R2Limited
09-16-2013, 05:21 PM
+1 the 996t,gt3,gt3rs all have bullet proof engines.Excluding minor bits and pieces, but that's normal on Porsche. It was the 996 911 & 996 911s and early the boxsters that had multiple engine failure. I was lucky enough not run into (intermediate shaft bearing issue) on my old 2000 Boxster S because I had the 3.2L motor.

My grandfather has the 996T x50 package its stupid fast with plenty of potential. I thought my Boxster S was fast till I drove the 996T. I gotta say that my dads 997 C2S was almost but not quite as fast as the 996T, but using the sports button that comes with the (sports crono package) with minor ecu tuning. The only thing that your going to be replacing is the clutch maybe every 15-25K and the rear tires often more than the front and it's not cheap.

Thanks for the input. I'm still learning so this is helpful. I'd love an x50 car. We'll see if I can drum one up in my price range.

I'll put maybe 6-7k miles/year on the car. So I'm not too terribly worried about consumables. :)

BoBo
09-17-2013, 04:07 AM
Thanks for the input. I'm still learning so this is helpful. I'd love an x50 car. We'll see if I can drum one up in my price range.

I'll put maybe 6-7k miles/year on the car. So I'm not too terribly worried about consumables. :)

No problem,the 996T are getting lower in price now, which is a good thing. If your not in a hurry, you can find a clean one for 38-40k. Since Porsche tires are wide and low profile, I would recommend using tirecradle or Reifenkissen Tyre Cushion if your putting 6-7k a year. When I use to leave my old car in the garage for more than a week, I would get these nasty flat spots and my steering wheel would shake for a while when coming out of a garage. It would take a few miles for the flat spots to go away. Using one of those tire ramp cushion got rid of the problem. Anyways, good luck and have fun on your Porsche hunt:).

Grip Driver
09-20-2013, 09:14 AM
sad that this car is sold, definitely one of my favorites but happy that you're getting yourself a Porsche, been a life long dream of mine as well.

Toolman
09-21-2013, 01:24 PM
The Blue Potato, Woolery, PhatMiata, Rooster, Sharka...all iconic Roadsters. There are many more, of course.

Soon, there will be Pitcrewb from PhillyB, the person who bought the damaged Blue Potato front end.

But..."there...is...another".

Ihatecars
09-21-2013, 04:44 PM
^Woah. A wild Tim Allen has appeared.

DK Wolf
09-22-2013, 01:29 AM
^woah. A wild tim allen has appeared.

use masterball!!

Phatmiata
09-25-2013, 01:25 PM
The Blue Potato, Woolery, PhatMiata, Rooster, Sharka...all iconic Roadsters. There are many more, of course.

Soon, there will be Pitcrewb from PhillyB, the person who bought the damaged Blue Potato front end.

Pics and build thread ...................... :popcorn:

Stoly
09-29-2013, 06:44 PM
http://clubroadster.net/vb_forum/89-...-bitch-54.html

Food for thought... if you treated him the same way you treat DK he'd not be banned from your site and you'd not have to make such silly inquires.

Phatmiata
09-29-2013, 06:59 PM
http://clubroadster.net/vb_forum/89-...-bitch-54.html

Food for thought... if you treated him the same way you treat DK he'd not be banned from your site and you'd not have to make such silly inquires.

I was talking about Blue Potato (Peter) and I saw a youtube video of his old Blue Miata, pretty much looks like every other miata out there, nothing special like it once was.

on a side note, if there is an issue with DK then you should take that up with him.

Ihatecars
09-29-2013, 07:01 PM
http://i.imgur.com/agJIP.gif

Phatmiata
09-29-2013, 07:02 PM
^^^^ nope there is not a thriller movie here, sorry folks

Ihatecars
09-29-2013, 07:03 PM
Phat, you're too cool of a guy.

Phatmiata
09-29-2013, 07:13 PM
Phat, you're too cool of a guy.

Nah, just cool-headed

Ihatecars
09-29-2013, 07:14 PM
Swooooon~*

Phatmiata
09-29-2013, 07:20 PM

I was talking about the 2020 build or bust thread from Tim in his reply FWIW :teehee:

RE: this......... http://thumbs3.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mrSNhMjShM_ynhLUuhkvNoA.jpg

theothersawyer
10-04-2013, 01:30 PM
Looks like what's left of The Blue Potato is now for sale!

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/cto/4105172926.html

speedypenguin
10-04-2013, 03:21 PM
Looks like what's left of The Blue Potato is now for sale!

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/cto/4105172926.html

Someone go save "The Blue Potato"!

Phatmiata
10-04-2013, 05:47 PM

atank beat you to it..........

http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread.php?7031-Looks-like-the-Old-Blue-Potato-is-up-for-sale-trade

atank
10-04-2013, 05:52 PM

Not for 8k.............

Dandy
10-04-2013, 05:53 PM
aww . . . boo, hiss

theothersawyer
10-04-2013, 06:23 PM
How did I miss that thread!? Damn you Atank! :P

atank
10-04-2013, 06:45 PM
How did I miss that thread!? Damn you Atank! :P

Sawyer I am sorry, I am always looking, plus I want that engine, and shiny bits!!!!:twisted: