PDA

View Full Version : Planning on buying a miata soon, which one should I get?

rustytuna
09-19-2013, 07:24 AM
Hey forum, I am planning on purchasing a miata soon. I found someone
selling a 1994 stock miata with 127k Miles with an upgrades sound system, he
is also selling a partially built 1990 miata with the rod millen package which has the 1" drop sportier suspension.
He also has a full exhaust, aftermarket stereo/sub, upgraded swaybars, rx7 brakes, rx7 LSD, but the downsides
are that the horn doesn't work, there is rust on the passenger side rocker panel, the top is torn, the horn doesn't work,
and it has 147k miles on it. He wants $1,200 for this one, and $2350 for the blue 94 miata. Since I am planning on tracking
it, I will probably end up doing some of those upgrades for the stock miata if I end up getting it. Which do you think would be
the better choice? I heard the 90's have a problem with the camshaft.

atank
09-19-2013, 07:42 AM
What is your budget? Make him an offer on both of them, package deal!!!!!

Shortnose Crankshaft problem on the early NA's, here's a link / fix for that: http://www.miata.net/garage/crankshaft.html
http://www.miata.net/garage/hsue/crank/loctite_1.htm

Oh yeah, Welcome to the forum!!!!!!!!!!

rustytuna
09-19-2013, 07:51 AM
My budget would probably be $2,000 since I already have another car and will be going to college soon. The camshaft problem looks
like a big one, if the 1994 is more stable, I think I might go with that, and upgrade/modify it myself.
I got him down to $1,800 on the 1994 and $1,000 on the 1990. Are there any known general problems
on the 1994? One downside I believe on the 1994 is that it comes without power steering.

atank
09-19-2013, 07:59 AM
I have a 94 Laguna Blue, and its great, most people like the non power steering, does this 94 you are looking at have a front lower spoiler, rear trunk spoiler? If it could be a very rare Laguna Blue R package (only 140+/- Laguna Blue 1994 "R" Packages were produced), by any chance does it have Bilstein shocks? They should be yellow. The 1994 R package is a Base 1994 Miata with higher rate springs, special shocks, [Bilsteins] anti-sway bars, torsen limited slip, and spoilers on the front, rear bumper, trunklid, and hollow 7 spoke alloy wheels. Air conditioning was the only available option.

OR it could be a 1994 M Edition, Montego Blue 1994 B Package Miata with polished aluminum wheels, do you remember if the front fenders have an M edition on them?

Factory Options

A Package: (New) Torsen limited slip differential (manual transmission only), power-assisted steering, leather-wrapped steering wheel, power mirrors, aluminum alloy wheels and headrest speakers.

B Package: Package A items plus cruise control, power windows and power antenna.

C Package: (All colors) B package items, plus tan interior with leather seating surfaces and tan vinyl top.

R Package (New Mid-year intro): Sport suspension with Bilstein shock absorbers, rear spoiler, front air dam, rear skirt, aluminum alloy wheels and Torsen limited-slip differential (not available with automatic or other option packages).
Removeable hardtop with defroster.
Automatic Transmission with (New) lockup torque converter, and Hold mode.
Anti-lock brakes (requires Package A, B or C).

M Edition (Montego Blue Mica only):
This special Miata includes Montego Blue Mica paint, Package C items plus polished alloy wheels, Nardi wood shift knob, wood parking-brake grip, logo floor mats and special M Edition key fob and interior/exterior badges. Other options include a removeable hardtop, anti-lock brakes and a 4-speed automatic transmission. Approximately 3,000 '94 M Editions were sold in the US.

Phatmiata
09-19-2013, 08:36 AM
buy them both, then sell one off for a profit!!! WIN

rustytuna
09-19-2013, 09:57 AM
I have a 94 Laguna Blue, and its great, most people like the non power steering, does this 94 you are looking at have a front lower spoiler, rear trunk spoiler? If it could be a very rare Laguna Blue R package (only 140+/- Laguna Blue 1994 "R" Packages were produced), by any chance does it have Bilstein shocks? They should be yellow. The 1994 R package is a Base 1994 Miata with higher rate springs, special shocks, [Bilsteins] anti-sway bars, torsen limited slip, and spoilers on the front, rear bumper, trunklid, and hollow 7 spoke alloy wheels. Air conditioning was the only available option.

OR it could be a 1994 M Edition, Montego Blue 1994 B Package Miata with polished aluminum wheels, do you remember if the front fenders have an M edition on them?

Factory Options

A Package: (New) Torsen limited slip differential (manual transmission only), power-assisted steering, leather-wrapped steering wheel, power mirrors, aluminum alloy wheels and headrest speakers.

B Package: Package A items plus cruise control, power windows and power antenna.

C Package: (All colors) B package items, plus tan interior with leather seating surfaces and tan vinyl top.

R Package (New Mid-year intro): Sport suspension with Bilstein shock absorbers, rear spoiler, front air dam, rear skirt, aluminum alloy wheels and Torsen limited-slip differential (not available with automatic or other option packages).
Removeable hardtop with defroster.
Automatic Transmission with (New) lockup torque converter, and Hold mode.
Anti-lock brakes (requires Package A, B or C).

M Edition (Montego Blue Mica only):
This special Miata includes Montego Blue Mica paint, Package C items plus polished alloy wheels, Nardi wood shift knob, wood parking-brake grip, logo floor mats and special M Edition key fob and interior/exterior badges. Other options include a removeable hardtop, anti-lock brakes and a 4-speed automatic transmission. Approximately 3,000 '94 M Editions were sold in the US.

Thank you for the detailed specs! I have not looked at it personally yet, but I will tomorow and will probably post back on the forums to give you guys the result. It is a very light blue, not laguna blue, but the owner says it needs a paint job. It does not have power steering or air conditioning. It also did not have a trunk spoiler in the picture.

rustytuna
09-19-2013, 09:57 AM
buy them both, then sell one off for a profit!!! WIN

I wish I had the money for both. Do you think with the descriptions I gave, it would be worth reselling?

Phatmiata
09-19-2013, 11:06 AM
I wish I had the money for both. Do you think with the descriptions I gave, it would be worth reselling?

I sure would, but you know your finances better than me, Ill bet you can haggle a little if you take both, I would hit someone up for some loaner money!

Dandy
09-19-2013, 11:34 AM
Of your two choices, I'd go with the '94 blue. There's nothing particularly special (IMO) about the Rod Millen (now defunct) and RX-7 junk yard parts. You can replicate those mods relatively cheap yourself, learn about your car, and know the exact quality of the parts and installation performed rather than relying on someone else's possibly misguided attempt at modification. It is most certainly better to start with a clean rust-free platform. Steer clear of rust. The '94 gives you more hp to begin with and is generally considered the most desirable year platform for adding boost should you have that desire at some point.

BlitzWing
10-09-2013, 02:57 PM
So its between a rusty 90 with some parts and a 94 that's stock but clean?

I guess you have to ask your a few questions. Do I want to repair rust or buy a few bolt-ons? Do a want a revy 1.6 or a more torquey 1.8?

I'd go for the 94 its going to be a smother ride if you want a well finished car as the end goal.

wannafbody
10-09-2013, 06:29 PM
Buy the one without rust

WASABI
10-10-2013, 05:25 AM
Welcome to the forum! Personally, of the two choices you presented, I would go with the '94. I would also look the cars over very closely, as many parts are interchangeable between them, and you don't want one that's been cherry picked of it's parts either. The best bet would be if you could find a knowledgeable Miata owner to take with you and check things out before you lay your money down. I've done that for a couple local people around here, and it's pretty important in New England to know what you're looking for, and where rust parts might be hiding. Good luck, and post some pictures!

-Cheers,

Jim

Vegard
10-10-2013, 05:34 AM
For na's the way to go is early 1.8. Just change the dash and you have the best of both worlds.