PDA

View Full Version : Please tell me if this is Worth anything

MANAEUNOS
09-21-2013, 12:13 PM
New to the forum, and relatively new to miatas.
To make the long story short, this is what I found on local craigslist:

"Selling my turbo kit out of my 97 1.8l miata
Bought the car know nothing about turbo so I pulled it out
Has the piping, blow off valve, turbo and intercooler.
Not sure if it will fit other cars.

Looking to get $200obo
Email me or text me"

I texted the dude, asked for the info. He again claimed that he knows nothing about the turbo.
He said that the turbo itself is by Garret (which made me thinking FM kit).
And this is the picture he sent me http://cs421429.vk.me/v421429395/7b41/V4-D5fJyPZE.jpg

He said that his friend who helped him take it off the car, took fuel management setup and manifold as a payment (real friend...)
anyways, I talked to him and he said he needs some wheels, so I'm trading him 4 stock steel wheels of an integra, for this kit,
but fellow miata drivers, please tell me if by the looks of it it's worth anything, is it an Ebay kit, or what is it??

Sincerely, thanks for all the responses

pasha

MANAEUNOS
09-21-2013, 12:34 PM
Very urgent!

BlitzWing
09-21-2013, 12:45 PM
honestly kinda looks like junk to me. Its cheap, so cheap I'd be tempted. But without the ECU, down pipe and manifold you could end up spending more to get this mess and the new parts to work together then it would cost to just buy a whole kit.

MANAEUNOS
09-21-2013, 12:47 PM
Hmm. That's discouraging, but big thanks for response BlitzWing
Anyone else?

speedypenguin
09-21-2013, 01:04 PM
I don't know much about the turbo kits available specifically for Miatas, but like Blitzwing said, you're going to have to get a turbo manifold and ECU to get it running. ECU tuning can costa lot and take a lot of time...and getting a good manifold may be costly as well...

If you're keen on going turbo, go for it, but be prepared that you may end up spending a lot more than you intended.

MANAEUNOS
09-21-2013, 01:05 PM
Because yes I know it's not a brand new kit from FM lol, but is it junk to the point where it
Wouldn't be a decent trade for a set of 70 dollar wheels?
I'm on the budget, but if couple people say this thing is not worth driving for 40 miles and exchanging it for some steelies, then I obviously won't.

MANAEUNOS
09-21-2013, 01:07 PM
Tnx, see you see while I'm doing it. I'm not a complete noob, I have fee low tuners who can tune this thing for me,
What ecu options do I have for my car. May be someone is selling any used ones or manifolds etc

MANAEUNOS
09-21-2013, 01:45 PM
I Just want a response from someone who does turno miata ( thats why I am on mazdaroadster duuh)
Someone who bought complete kits as well as assembled kits from different sources
from what some of you might call (junk).
Someone who can tell me ok it's this and that set up, this and that IC, and this is the parts, you will need to make it any roadworthy, for approximately this amount of money considering the region.

wannafbody
09-21-2013, 01:59 PM
If the turbo is good, I'd trade for a set of wheels.

I<3flippyheadlights
09-21-2013, 08:56 PM
What that guy said. It the turbo is good, it could be worth it.

Intercooler piping isn't super expensive. BOV's aren't either.

Honestly, it isn't a "great" deal, but an average one. If it is a garret turbo from a FM kit, you can get a FM manifold and DP from them (or used)

What gauges are those? They might be worth something.

In the end, you will need a manifold, downpipe, oil lines, Fuel management, and a wideband.

BoBo
09-21-2013, 09:13 PM
That's definitely worth $200 bucks. Just get a manifold, voodoo box, and all the little stuff to run it.

DK Wolf
09-21-2013, 09:38 PM
That kit looks like it's seen some use. Google how to inspect used turbos and get the model down and decide for yourself. Odds are if it's in good shape it's worth the $200.. but if it's damaged, someone with experience rebuilding turbos could find this worthwhile, but since you're new I wouldn't bother.

Check out the turbo, if it's good.. snag it. If not, I'd gladly pass. Better safe than sorry.

MANAEUNOS
09-22-2013, 11:02 AM
So i Talked to the guy in person, inspected the turbo. It had shaft play, was all flimsy.
I went there mostly to see what I can get for my miata for $200.
Ended up just wasting time, but considering buying a complete used kit later.
This thread can be closed now.

P.S. anyone here from New England?

I<3flippyheadlights
09-22-2013, 06:29 PM
Don't close this thread. It can help others in seeing what stuff if worth.

And if you need turbo management, I will be selling some soon! :D

WASABI
09-22-2013, 09:43 PM
Sucks about the turbo being junk, but you get what you pay for (80% of the time). There are a couple members on here from New England, not as many as from California and Florida, but we're growing... slowly.

-Jim