PDA

View Full Version : The Miatapalooza 2014 Thread

Phatmiata
09-24-2013, 09:38 AM
This is the Official Thread for the 2014 Miatapalooza event, this is a discussion thread about the event. Please stay on topic

We will post more event details as we start to plan the event.

Any important details of the event will be posted in this thread first, and then to follow on the facebook page.

I will most likely not have a separate thread on all of the other forums as it was just too much extra work, and extremely time consuming. If you guys have questions about the event you are welcome to post them here in this thread. Please do not start a Miatapalooza thread on the other forums as it will most likely just cause more confusion and or mis-information.

Phatmiata
09-24-2013, 09:43 AM
Last year we had some tuners show up at the actual event and set up booths, everyone really liked this, and the tuners really seemed to have a good time chating with Miata Owners from all over the state and beyond. I think that Planet-Miata.com wants to come down and set up a booth for the 2014 Miatapalooza this time too. So chances are this will be a much bigger event as some others have expressed interest as well.

Which tuners would you guys like to see out there?

HELLIONMX5
09-24-2013, 09:46 AM
Which ones? Hell, just look at the sponsors of this site! I want all of them!

Btw 1st!

Phatmiata
09-24-2013, 10:01 AM
Which ones? Hell, just look at the sponsors of this site! I want all of them!

Btw 1st!

For those of you that missed out on the previous year, here is a recap of the show.
http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread.php?5492-Miatapalooza-2013-Recap-of-the-Show!!!

Here is the Sponsors that setup a booth last time around.

MazdaRoadster.net
Classic Mazda
MazdaMovement
Redline Autosports
RoadsterTECH
V8Roadsters
5XRacing
BSIRacing
TreasureCoastMiata
Turbos 'n' Tuning Done Right
The Dentman
Polar Cup
BumbleBeadery

and the sponsors that sent us gifts that could not attend

Mazda North America
Project-G
Planet-Miata
GarageStar
Boss Performance
Revlimiter
Grassroots Motorsports Magazine
Track Dog Racing
Panic Motorsports
Garage5
Ferman Mazda
Lakeland Mazda
Rspeed
enthuzacar
EcheverriLaw.com

Thumper13
09-24-2013, 10:42 AM
Little Rob and I have been doing some preliminary unofficial hunting for sites that could be considered as an option to Lakeland. We stopped out at Rossmeyers in Ormond Beach off of I-95 and US-1. That place is perfect,huge all the amenities including a 36,000 sq ft covered pavilion. I have no idea if they are going to charge for use of their back parking area but it can easily hold more than twice what Hooters can as far as parking.

I hope to hear back from them this week.

It would be great if Phat could get a little tighter date. I told them we are looking at late April as a MAYBE date.

Phatmiata
09-24-2013, 10:49 AM
Little Rob and I have been doing some preliminary unofficial hunting for sites that could be considered as an option to Lakeland. We stopped out at Rossmeyers in Ormond Beach off of I-95 and US-1. That place is perfect,huge all the amenities including a 36,000 sq ft covered pavilion. I have no idea if they are going to charge for use of their back parking area but it can easily hold more than twice what Hooters can as far as parking.

I hope to hear back from them this week.

It would be great if Phat could get a little tighter date. I told them we are looking at late April as a MAYBE date.

I would shoot for around the same date

Remember we have to watch out for;

Love Bug season (Twice per year)Late April-May and August-September
Hurricane Season
Overly Hot Summer & Fall Season
Rainy Season

Thumper13
09-24-2013, 11:00 AM
So.....late March or Early April ???

SM and I are also looking at the Shrine in Maitland off I-4. While we are the self appointed "unofficial" alternate site finders if you have any sites you can think of,feel free to post up. Rob and I are looking for something that would make it a little more attractive for Miata owners from the other Southeastern States to attend

Unk577
10-14-2013, 08:23 PM
Anyone want to talk to Richie Brother's auction on I4? They have enough room to run 3-4 different autocrosses, the show, and anything else you wanna do

morr
10-14-2013, 08:30 PM
I plan to attend the 2014 event, but was hoping to find a place to crash for the night since it's a 5+ hour drive. I believe I had a few forum members (mini fd?) offer up a couch or floor space but I can't remember. So any room and board is appreciated. I'd be happy to buy dinner and drinks or something to compensate for sleeping space.

Also, I'm down for a hardparking show and/or an autocross event. Either way I'll be there. Last years photo have me regretting I didn't come down for it!

Agent☣Orange
10-14-2013, 08:37 PM
Yeah, I was thinking about that the past couple years. It would be cool to have an after-hours party but it would have to be at one hotel and no driving home drunk at 3am. Folks would have to check in and stay 'til the next day. Probably too much liability because there's always that one guy...

morr
10-14-2013, 08:43 PM
I'd be happy to pitch in on a couple hotel rooms with a few other out-of-towners if it came down to it. I agree, because this past year at MATG's beer swap there were some people that shouldn't have been driving, even being within 2 mins of their cabin. But I hear what you're saying... hopefully we can figure something out since we're planning it more in advance.

HELLIONMX5
10-14-2013, 10:57 PM
In reference to the matg event (beer swap) I might know who your taking about LOL!

Anyone hear back from anyone?

Agent☣Orange
10-14-2013, 11:09 PM
Not referencing any names about anyone about any event, just saying that if a group of us decided to hang out, it would be outside the purview of any MR.net sanctioned event. Basically, you'd be on your own but with the burden of maintaining the rep of not only MR but the Miata community at large.

HELLIONMX5
10-15-2013, 02:21 PM
the last time I went there were some folks who can drink and drive around the mountains. at night too..... I don't condone it. but nothing bad happened, so its cool I guess.... not really. but what can you do?

Thumper13
10-15-2013, 02:58 PM
Anyone want to talk to Richie Brother's auction on I4? They have enough room to run 3-4 different autocrosses, the show, and anything else you wanna do

Certainly lots of room,that's for sure. We'd need porta potties and catering services but that's not a lot of $$$. I have nothing but time on my hands,I'll cruise over there this week.

I'm thinking we'd probably need to post a hefty insurance bond for auto xing though.

Phatmiata
10-15-2013, 03:13 PM
The goal is to keep the event free to the Miata guys, if you start adding stuff like autoX and other race events you have to have liability insurance, like in the million dollar range, that is not cheap, I really would like to avoid all of that if possible.

RuckkehrMiata
10-15-2013, 05:44 PM
The goal is to keep the event free to the Miata guys, if you start adding stuff like autoX and other race events you have to have liability insurance, like in the million dollar range, that is not cheap, I really would like to avoid all of that if possible.

Yeah, if this were to happen it should be a separate "sister" event. Miatapalooza should just be a gathering with some benefits and phat wearing a goofy hat.

blu92
10-15-2013, 07:21 PM
I may come down from PA for this. I plan on visiting morr in april sometime, so maybe i'll schedule it around this.

SM16RMSM
10-15-2013, 07:43 PM

Free is nice but the plans Thumper has together, I feel like this could go to a whole new level.

Free = Car Show
Paid = Track and Autocross

Thumper has some big plans but he put it all on hold for reasons I'm not going to mention. If we try to do someone like a track event/meet then the liability insurance will be the biggest deterrent. But when you can get enough cars together, BIG paying sponsors, classic/historic race cars maybe :shock:, then I think a meet like that will turn into one of the greatest.

Thumper13
10-16-2013, 02:59 PM
Lets keep on focus for the next Miatapalooza meet.

FREE IS FOR ME..................Randy's one core principle and it should be that way. This is his baby and with some help it has done pretty well.

My plans are for something different and this is and should be just about Miatapalooza.................so................... .I do believe we need either a bigger place ( which SM and are hunting for ) or shoot for the same size meet as this year's. The other thing ( while I am on my soap box ) is it would be nice for more people to step up and help Randy.

Thumper13
10-16-2013, 03:00 PM
Yeah, if this were to happen it should be a separate "sister" event. Miatapalooza should just be a gathering with some benefits and phat wearing a goofy hat.

Xactly

Unk577
10-16-2013, 03:05 PM
I don't really care for an autocross, just trying to illustrate how much room they have.
I'm still waiting for Randy to call me and let me know what he needs help with instead of just sending me "boooo hsssss" texts

maharaj
10-16-2013, 04:32 PM

Certainly agree, especially the goofy hat. Some people. :roll: If you start to add autox and events that will increase liability then it opens a can of worms from the insurance standpoint, security, safety, people to WORK the event and so on. Phat has done an excellent job and it has flourished so if it ain't broke.....

mini_fd
10-18-2013, 07:46 AM
I plan to attend the 2014 event, but was hoping to find a place to crash for the night since it's a 5+ hour drive. I believe I had a few forum members (mini fd?) offer up a couch or floor space but I can't remember. So any room and board is appreciated. I'd be happy to buy dinner and drinks or something to compensate for sleeping space.

Also, I'm down for a hardparking show and/or an autocross event. Either way I'll be there. Last years photo have me regretting I didn't come down for it!

Yeah Dood I'm down for that. I'd like to also try to do something else since you'll be in town. It won't be like the gap driving around but there's cocoa beach Disney Busch Gardens and universal so let's plan

And if you guys want to do a dinner that night as a group that would be awesome. Mystery dinner or show like midevil times lol would also bring in tighter relationships and build friendships

Ciotti
10-18-2013, 08:33 AM
By the time this rolls around next year I'll be living in South Carolina so I am IN!!!!!

blu92
01-05-2014, 09:42 PM
Any updates on this?

mini_fd
01-06-2014, 10:23 PM
It's 4 months away now.

HELLIONMX5
01-06-2014, 10:51 PM
Doesn't look good for me :/

Ihatecars
01-06-2014, 11:17 PM
I almost want to drive to Florida to meet all of you guys in person.

mini_fd
01-07-2014, 07:43 AM
A few of you guys from out of state seem to be joining us but I feel so bad that it's for only one day 6 hours or so event.If this was a weekend event that would seem better.

Dandy
01-07-2014, 09:39 AM
I'm sure there will be a few people that will book a room nearby. I know there has been some talk about add-on events. The simplest thing we could do would just be to add a drive. This could just be a grassroots sort of thing and not necessarily part of the event. I don't want to derail this thread and I'm anxious to see what unfolds first, but if it makes sense, maybe we could add an impromptu Sunday drive followed by a good meal before calling it a weekend.

Martin
01-07-2014, 10:19 AM
I've warned my wife I want to go. Not sure if it will happen, though.

tsingson
01-07-2014, 11:12 AM
So is there a date or is it just in the March-April timeframe?

Phatmiata
01-07-2014, 11:43 AM
So is there a date or is it just in the March-April timeframe?

Time frame looks about right, no date set yet as Im not sure if it will happen this year or not.

tsingson
01-07-2014, 11:54 AM
Ok. I will put in my request once something definite comes out if it does.

Hyper
01-07-2014, 12:46 PM
Let's do it in Miami!!!!!!

Phatmiata
01-07-2014, 02:33 PM
Let's do it in Miami!!!!!!

Was actually considering alternating it, from West Coast (CA) and then East Coast (FL) back and forth each year so that the planners, and volunteers don't get burnt out like we did last year. Its actually a TON of work. Pretty burnt out myself. Thumper13 and myself are still looking at a few other options though.

mini_fd
01-07-2014, 03:09 PM
I'd be happy to volunteer to help out

SM16RMSM
01-07-2014, 04:46 PM
I haven't seen anything good lately. I haven't heard back from Thumper about Daytona spot.

Thumper13
01-10-2014, 02:14 PM
I am still looking around,but,I am busy until after the Rolex 24...then I can get back into it.

I really think Randy has a really good idea of alternating years. I like that A LOT. People get tired if we do the same thing year after year. I really believe last year was so great because we skipped 2012 !

Phatmiata
01-10-2014, 04:00 PM
I am still looking around,but,I am busy until after the Rolex 24...then I can get back into it.

I really think Randy has a really good idea of alternating years. I like that A LOT. People get tired if we do the same thing year after year. I really believe last year was so great because we skipped 2012 !

Agreed, back then we did get a lot of folks that just said, meh, Ill go next year, and once they realized we skipped a year they made sure to attend the following event. :teehee:

Thumper13
01-10-2014, 05:24 PM

Hmmm, I am fixated on really for some really weird reason.......really. Must be brain freeze from the cold snap.

minuteman048
01-10-2014, 08:36 PM
There is probably a big cost involved, but what about the Sebring Race Track? They have a sea of concrete for parking and sponsors and maybe we can do a few parade laps like in October 2011 that would really attract a lot of cars. It's also centrally located.

At about 05:22 I put it to music. I think this would be awesome.

http://youtu.be/wVPXKVooPSY

Spinnywhoosh
01-10-2014, 09:17 PM
Good lord, how am I just now seen that thread.. I've been curious about this for some time. I'm all for helping out. As far as alternating coasts, just a newb guess but doesn't the east coast already have a few events throughout the year like this? I remember drooling over Project G's meet last year. What I loved about this is that it was OUR'S, man! Oh well, if there isn't one this year I guess that just gives me more of a reason to join Miatas at the Gap :)

Thumper13
01-10-2014, 10:05 PM
There is probably a big cost involved, but what about the Sebring Race Track? They have a sea of concrete for parking and sponsors and maybe we can do a few parade laps like in October 2011 that would really attract a lot of cars. It's also centrally located.

At about 05:22 I put it to music. I think this would be awesome.

http://youtu.be/wVPXKVooPSY

Sebring,only wants 20k a day to use their facility, how much room do you have on your credit card ????? Uh centrally located, for who ?????

minuteman048
01-10-2014, 10:53 PM
Sebring,only wants 20k a day to use their facility, how much room do you have on your credit card ????? Uh centrally located, for who ?????

Geographically in the middle of the state.

atank
01-10-2014, 11:13 PM
Anyone from Georgia or elsewhere that will be traveling down I-75 going????? Maybe we could have a Roadster convoy????:whistle:

Thumper13
01-11-2014, 07:04 AM
Anyone from Georgia or elsewhere that will be traveling down I-75 going????? Maybe we could have a Roadster convoy????:whistle:

You planning a meet for 2014 ? I know Randy and I would LOVE to attend a meet we didn't have to lift a finger or spend a dollar to make happen.:mrgreen:

Details please

ANYBODY want to take charge of planning a meet for 2014 ???? You'll only need a grand or two up front,don't worry,if you sell enough tee shirts you may not go in the hole too badly, and a couple of hundred hours or so of "free time " That's assuming you want to have an even bigger meet than 2013 or even 2011. This may sound like a load,but,check with Phat for more details on the "how to"

I know I am willing to put in the time and money but not till 2015 . 3 or 4 months is just not enough time to pull a meet together. Especially if we want a two day meet with activities instead of just looking at the same cars as last year and get people from out of state to drive in.

curvingedge
01-11-2014, 10:29 AM
Time frame looks about right, no date set yet as Im not sure if it will happen this year or not.

Hey Randy, take your time. 2011-2012 Miata meets really took ALOT of TIME and DEDICATION from you and other members. It'll be ok to take a break until you find time... we are still going to be here. Spend some time with your family, you miata NUTCASE! :)

Come on Fred and Jeff! lol

mini_fd
01-11-2014, 11:40 AM
If you don't want the meet to be showing the same cars but want to draw from some other southern states as people show interest in why don't we go to gainsville or ocala

Ps I'm okay paying 7-10 dollar fee.

Phatmiata
01-11-2014, 12:42 PM
There is already a big FAST meet at Sebring each year in October if you guys want to check that out please do! I still have not heard back from Mazda yet, working on some other things. Project-G is doing their open house every year around the same time so Miatapalooza will stay here in Florida, no worries there.

Spinnywhoosh
01-11-2014, 03:21 PM
If you don't want the meet to be showing the same cars but want to draw from some other southern states as people show interest in why don't we go to gainsville or ocala

Ps I'm okay paying 7-10 dollar fee.

Gainesvilllle!

osprey2000
02-12-2014, 10:32 AM
Jacksonville is at the junction of I-10 & I-95...

Regardless of where it is, sign me up to help. I'll do my best to enlist additional help from fellow FCMC members up here. Several members mentioned the idea of traveling down the night before next time, and might be willing to come early to help with setup and parking.

Phatmiata
02-12-2014, 10:53 AM
James from the Treasure coast gave me some great ideas, let me try to iron some more stuff out guys. I don't want to confirm any locations or dates as folks will get confused reading the threads.

mini_fd
02-12-2014, 01:38 PM
no problemo... i just want to see everyone again. Im okay with Ocala, Jacksonville, hell daytona would be sweet. I want to get the miami guys here along with the georgia drivers and extend this two states wide.

theothersawyer
02-12-2014, 02:36 PM
Depending on if this happens/when this happens/where this happens, I may come down again! Had a lot of fun last time!

Johnnie
02-13-2014, 10:29 PM
There is already a big NASA meet at Sebring each year in October if you guys want to check that out please do! I still have not heard back from Mazda yet, working on some other things. Project-G is doing their open house every year around the same time so Miatapalooza will stay here in Florida, no worries there.
Fixed.

Amati
02-25-2014, 06:09 PM
Jacksonville is at the junction of I-10 & I-95...

Regardless of where it is, sign me up to help. I'll do my best to enlist additional help from fellow FCMC members up here. Several members mentioned the idea of traveling down the night before next time, and might be willing to come early to help with setup and parking.

It would be great IF your club were to participate. Announce it early and recruit hard.

Joker
02-25-2014, 10:08 PM
I'm glad the ball is rolling on this. Keep up the good work!

Andy
04-07-2014, 03:15 PM
Any updates on the all florida meet for 2014?

mini_fd
04-07-2014, 03:27 PM
Or at least a site meet for a get together bbq or just to drive around

Andy
04-07-2014, 03:32 PM
Yah I would really like something like we had last time where everyone met up in the hooters parking lot and hundreds of people showed up.

mini_fd
04-07-2014, 03:40 PM
That isn't going to happen. We should take a poll to make a date may to have a meet

Andy
04-18-2014, 08:52 PM
So what is happening this year?

mini_fd
04-18-2014, 08:56 PM
How about doing something in may in cocoa for a bbq and beach or sebastian inlet

Andy
04-18-2014, 09:19 PM
Are you suggesting you and I make something or are you making a suggestion for the actual event?

mini_fd
04-18-2014, 09:59 PM
I say we have 4 places and take a vote.

RuckkehrMiata
04-18-2014, 10:00 PM
I would like to see Project-G / KINOD make an attempted showing, especially since ArtCenterMiata is getting featured in SpeedHunter now.

mini_fd
04-18-2014, 10:16 PM
How would they since they are located in southern California?

RuckkehrMiata
04-18-2014, 10:25 PM
Jeremy is driving out for my wedding in June. It isn't like there is some giant wall in between us. They wouldn't even need to bring their cars, I just miss them all :(

mini_fd
04-18-2014, 10:52 PM
What city are they staying in?

RuckkehrMiata
04-18-2014, 11:28 PM
Only ArtCenterMiata is coming for the wedding, down here in St. Pete. I am trying to talk him into bringing Kimochi so I can drive off in her haha

Andy
04-22-2014, 06:06 PM
So is it safe to assume that there will be no miata palooza this year?

SM16RMSM
05-05-2014, 06:32 PM
Nothing planned as of yet. A Mazda meet this year most likely won't happen unless someone small come up with an idea and can put something together with very little time. It won't be a Miatapalooza event, just a small gathering of locals Floridians basically.

Rogue
05-05-2014, 06:58 PM
We will be getting a couple Miata's together this Saturday in D/FW! :lol:
http://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o756/RogueRace/Propwash%20Party/FewTaters_zps3e7d665d.jpg (http://s1341.photobucket.com/user/RogueRace/media/Propwash%20Party/FewTaters_zps3e7d665d.jpg.html)
http://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o756/RogueRace/Propwash%20Party/PW10Sunset_zpsf7676377.jpg (http://s1341.photobucket.com/user/RogueRace/media/Propwash%20Party/PW10Sunset_zpsf7676377.jpg.html)

Andy
05-06-2014, 12:01 AM
Nothing planned as of yet. A Mazda meet this year most likely won't happen unless someone small come up with an idea and can put something together with very little time. It won't be a Miatapalooza event, just a small gathering of locals Floridians basically.

I made a thread to do just that. We are trying to do an all Florida meet June 21st.

etikoner
05-06-2014, 10:43 AM
Can this even happen on a Sunday so us nice Jewish miata owning dudes can join?

Thumper13
05-10-2014, 06:26 AM
I found a site for Miatapalooza BUT Randy and I agree this meet should be held every other year. It requires a shitload of time and planning. For those of you who have never been involved in working with us to set up Miatapalooza....You have no friggin idea just how much time it takes and how little help we actually get. Randy and I have spent well over 100 fours planning each of the last two.

It seems like everybody wants to attend Miatapalooza but no one wants to put in the time and effort to help. So if it's just Randy,me and the 4 or 5 other dedicated volunteers ( the same few every time )

If you don't like my rant.....too bad,step up and put your balls on the table and help out.

Andy
05-10-2014, 08:40 AM
Tell me how to help you. In the mean time it looks like the only way is to have a non official one which I am not fond of.

Thumper pm me if you want. I really want to help for next year.

mini_fd
05-10-2014, 09:19 AM
I can help out too Fred

HELLIONMX5
05-10-2014, 11:25 AM
If you want the help. ask.

I think the way to go about it is to spread the work load.

how many people would you need to help out?

what do you need people to do?

is there a time frame you want things done?

what's all involved that you can tell others to do?

etc etc etc.

You get the idea.

RuckkehrMiata
05-24-2014, 01:32 PM
I am here to help also, I have never done car events but I have event planning experience in general (mostly stage-oriented, with an audio background).
But I am willing to do whatever needs done!

Jscarrozzo
08-14-2014, 09:17 PM
Any news on this? I can assist where needed.

Mycoftsmith
10-14-2014, 04:39 AM
Hey i missed that event but i am waiting for the next one , anyone here knows that when will be the next one will held?

Phatmiata
10-14-2014, 06:41 AM
We would have to see which local Miata Clubs have members that are willing to help. Last event we had 14 guys from TampaBay Miatas, 2 from Orlando Roadsters, and several from Treasure coast help. Something like 20 people that stepped up to help guide traffic, set up the signs, post on the forums, design flyers, check folks in, help make goodie bags, fold tee-shirts, setup cones, park cars, give out tickets, help the vendors, etc etc. I will see if the Tampa Club is willing to help again since 80% of the staff came from that club.

If I can get enough locals to help we can try to do this again, I can start a 2015 thread if that happens

tsingson
10-14-2014, 06:42 AM
If this happens while my wife and daughter are in Europe, I can maybe make it.

SM16RMSM
11-11-2014, 11:40 PM
As much as I want to jump in and help, I have to see I can plan home time to even come out and play.

Hammerhead
11-12-2014, 08:29 AM
I can help for the 2015 event.

Thumper13
12-14-2014, 06:25 PM
Randy, you know where to reach me when it's time ! Even if the only way my Miata makes an appearance is on a trailer.

Unk577
12-14-2014, 07:32 PM
Yeah Randy!!!

Jscarrozzo
12-16-2014, 10:01 AM
I can help for the 2015 event.

Mark me down as well. Haven't met anyone on the board yet, but want to be part of putting this together. I'm in Clermont and would love to help out with whatever is needed.