PDA

View Full Version : Classic Issue. No dash/tail/day-time-running lights on my Miata

MANAEUNOS
09-26-2013, 06:33 PM
Maybe this thread will finally receive a solution.
Saw numerous threads with the same symptoms.
So the Miata interiors and dash lights are out. So are tail lights. Day time running lights don't turn on in 2nd position.
Headlights work, brake lights work, everything on a cluster besides the gauges works.
All of the fuses are good, both under the hood and in under the dash.
No exposed wire behind the radio. TNS relay is not an issues either.
WHAT IS IT??
:shock:

atank
09-26-2013, 08:39 PM
The dash lights are likely using the headlight circuit as a ground. When the headlight circuit is powered it cancels out the normal power to the dash lights. Oddball symptoms like this are usually grounding problems rather than fuse problems because the same grounds are involved but not the same fuses. Do you have a volt/ohm meter???

MANAEUNOS
09-26-2013, 10:03 PM
No, I do not. But I can possibly buy/rent one if that's my last hope to find that short. I don't know if that a coincidence or not but the same second I noticed the dash lights out, my passenger window wasn't going down. After a few dozens if clicks it went down a little. Then went up a little, then worked just fined ever since, but the dash didn't. Also if there was a short in a headlight circuit, wouldn't it make headlight dis functional? Also if it's a headlight ground that also causes a short for all if those lights how come the headlights work but nothing else in that circuit

mini_fd
09-27-2013, 07:24 AM
I would double check the fuses under the dash once more. Its not a room fuse but its another fuse that i can't remember that would cause that issue. Pull them all out.

atank
09-27-2013, 07:30 AM
I would double check the fuses under the dash once more. Its not a room fuse but its another fuse that i can't remember that would cause that issue. Pull them all out. I do believe it is a 15 amp fuse......
http://i316.photobucket.com/albums/mm351/atank_1/fuse_zps3fe6403a.jpg (http://s316.photobucket.com/user/atank_1/media/fuse_zps3fe6403a.jpg.html)

SM16RMSM
09-27-2013, 07:48 AM
This is where a POWER PROBE come in handy. I found most of the time that the TNS relay is the issue. Have you swapped the relay out with another Miata relay with working lights? The relay might have a bad ground connection or it not working at all. 3 NA, all the same issues as you, all lead to the TNS relay.

MANAEUNOS
09-27-2013, 08:13 AM
I swapped it with horn relay. Horn worked with both relays, while lights did the complete opposite. Also a new symptom.
Turning signal! Left turning signal blinks faster on both dash and the bulbs. I came outside of the car to check if any of the bulbs are out but no, both front and back are still functioning properly. Just blinking faster. And I checked all of the fuses again, still all good.

MANAEUNOS
09-27-2013, 08:22 AM
The headlight switch??

MANAEUNOS
09-27-2013, 08:29 AM
If you guys are referring to the tail fuse and/or meter fuse they are both fine as well as every other fuse I found in a car.
All of the non working illumination is obviously on the same circuit. Since the turning signal blinks faster, where should I look for a short

SM16RMSM
09-27-2013, 10:47 AM
Start checking your ground cables. You have a grounding issue if the blinkers are now blinking fast.

MANAEUNOS
10-15-2013, 10:59 PM
So all I did since a last post was nothing. Today I was driving home worrying about my tail lights being out, while everything started working again.

ADOBOMiata
09-08-2014, 05:37 PM
Any updates on this? I'm running through the same issue. Dash/headlights/tails/signals/signals on dash aren't working. If it's the ground, which ground wires am I looking at? Where are they located? If this may play a role, my headlights w/ motors are not connected at the moment.

My reverse lights are working.
Fuses are all good
Main relay checks out
Flashing unit is fine (solders are clean, no holes, clicks quickly when I signal left or right)

ADOBOMiata
09-08-2014, 10:14 PM
Got the chance to work on it today. Dash lights, turn signals, and brake lights do not light up. Hazards don't work either. The headlights work (low & high beams) and so does my radio. Some lights work on the cluster (check engine, air bag, and belt), the mechanical things work as well. I added another ground from the battery to the chassis, cleaned the ground wire that connects from the harness and grounds to the trunk, switched relays; LA10, switched flasher units with my dad's 95 miata (mine worked fine on his), switched clock springs (both worked fine). Not too sure what else it could be. I'm going to check out other ground cables and swap ALL of the fuses on the driver side (possibly a hair line crack?) The wiper harness isn't connected at the moment. So is the passenger side headlight.

ADOBOMiata
09-11-2014, 11:03 PM
Ah! found the problem. My BTN fuse was missing 1 prong. Therefore nothing was receiving power.

Phillip Sablan
11-03-2015, 06:52 PM
I'm having the same issues... any suggestions??

kung fu jesus
11-03-2015, 07:42 PM
Did you do all of the above? Generally, it is the TNS relay on the drivers side in the engine bay, just in front of the clutch master.