PDA

View Full Version : Got a bunch of switches, wire spool, fuses. Help me with project ideas.

silvermazda
10-07-2013, 06:57 PM
So I was a bit premature when buying electrical stuff and I'm still not done I need another 20 bucks of crimp connectors,ect.
Can you please suggest electrical projects that I can do with my miata and your favorite mods.

Here's a pic(s) of the damage to my wallet. More to come. Mostly 15 & 25 amp swiches even those 10amp small switches revlimter put under his gauges. EVEN a horn switch.
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3810/10032067846_cd46c635a2.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/78609132@N08/10032067846/)

horribleR
10-07-2013, 08:11 PM
make a panel for the lights.

light switch panels are the best.

psulja
10-07-2013, 08:47 PM
get a megasquirt, wire switches for launch control, traction control, high/low boost, etc, etc.

kill switch

Hyper
10-07-2013, 08:57 PM
keep it simple!!

Agent☣Orange
10-07-2013, 09:38 PM
http://farm2.staticflickr.com/1062/5123443349_51e477ff0e_b.jpg

silvermazda
10-08-2013, 12:20 AM
make a panel for the lights.
light switch panels are the best.YESSSS!!!! GOT 3 red and 3 blue. Rock auto was out of green which would be perfect for my 00 green interior/guage lights.

get a megasquirt, wire switches for launch control, traction control, high/low boost, etc, etc.
kill switchBut I got no boost or ABS or TCS.

OH and the kill switch is why I bought a 12ft pack of 12GA wire to make a 4 inch clutch switch bypass. I think they are 1/4" blades. Just got to go the the local store to get those and wire them to a appropriate switch. The stock wire are thick like thicker than 18GA, which means there's a ton of juice going thru them? Is the switch used only during cranking? I dont see why would you need a ton of wire unless its going from the ig switch to the starter.

keep it simple!! Then what am I going to do with 70 bucks of stuff?

IMGUh...next life time.

Hyper
10-08-2013, 06:33 PM
you really wanna know??

CMP
10-09-2013, 01:28 PM
Build this.

silvermazda
10-10-2013, 02:52 AM
think functional please. If anyone has measured current thru the clutch interlock switch please chime in.

Agent☣Orange
10-10-2013, 08:29 AM
I did a dual-fan mod that involves some adtermarket switches. At least that was a useful mod for one of them.

http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread.php?1796-DIY-dual-fan-mod&p=92406#post92406

http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa375/YellowYata/Misc/Dual%20fan%20mod/45ecaa4b.jpg

Hyper
10-10-2013, 08:29 AM
think functional please. If anyone has measured current thru the clutch interlock switch please chime in.

there is a build thread somewhere SILVER NA, it wll not work on your ride tough as is for NA the guy made a simple dash no radio, A/C panel parts, ect. He used toggle switches for the hazard lights and like more switches. It looks freaking cool. Look it up.

silvermazda
10-11-2013, 03:18 AM
I did a dual-fan mod that involves some adtermarket switches. At least that was a useful mod for one of them.
Looks sweet! I am fan of your work. Your aftermarket gauge in the place of the factory oil pres. gauge is sweet. At the end of this I hope to achieve something similar in levels of quality/finish you put into your car.

there is a build thread somewhere SILVER NA,He used toggle switches for the hazard lights and like more switches. Thank you. That's a good start/response.

Agent☣Orange
10-11-2013, 08:14 AM
Hey thanks! Didn't think anyone remembered that. I loved tinkering with my Miata.

silvermazda
10-21-2013, 02:28 AM
any ideas guys?
So far I've printed about 80% of the 00 wiring manual. Everyday I learn something like the evap pump in the gas tank that turns on in the on position. You know that thing we think is the fuel pump and makes a 3 second whine when you flick on the key. Well that's it.

Current goals:
-see if I can put a switch so I'm not accidentally flicking the windshield wipers when I have a ton of dust on the windshield.
-wire windows so they work on ACC or just all the time. (any safety stuff I need to know about?)
-bypass/put a switch on the starter bypass (turns out it does carry quite a bit of current as the wires are 12GA and run to the starter solenoid, if anyone know how much current you'll be saving me major hair pulling)
-wire my WBO even better.
-ect.

feel free to suggest things.

PS: how much of the ABS is prewired on a non abs 00 car?

Agent☣Orange
10-21-2013, 07:29 AM
This is a little hard because you have a bunch of parts looking for a project instead of the other way around.

silvermazda
10-21-2013, 06:13 PM
yeah...but its more expensive the otherway around.

silvermazda
11-12-2013, 10:18 PM
Well, got the T-taps from Rockauto and plenty of buttconnectors. Basically set for life. I thought when they showed 1 buttconnector they meant 1 buttconnector. Turns out it was a package. Then I got a assorted 101pcs set from oreilies for 6 bucks.

Current goals:
-manual switch for AC fan
-another switch for dual fans (depending on which I end up liking)
-probs sourcing some power from wipermotor, abs, bose 20A circuit to power gauges: WB, coolant temp, if I ever get around to getting the begi spacer.
-still going back and forth on having B+ to window switch all the time. (it can be useful, or annoying)

silvermazda
07-07-2014, 03:07 PM
Okay, update!!!
Wired my non existing AC back. TO be able to use the AC switch as intended.
-jumped the red "pressure switch" in the engine bay. Measure refrigerant pressure and says yes or nay to computer to click the ac clutch.
-reconnected the evap box thermocoupler that stops ac if it starts to freeze the evap box.

With all of that it allows me to push the AC switch when the blower fan is on and activate both fans (for cooling) and increase rpm to around 1200 (again, cooling and for increased batt load). I still have to find a way to unlink the AC switch from the blower motor. hm... This may also help warm up the car or at least I've been tinkering with the idea of having a switch that will run it at 1500rpm while I'm leaving the house.

I also spliced the coil ground side of the AC fan for manual control, did the wiring, but not the switch yet. (todo list)
I found the yellow cigarette lighter wire B+ 20A fused is of 16ga (i think) so that could be a useful source of power for aftermarket temp gauges.
I ran the windows off of that circuit using a harbor freight voltmeter each window motor uses 2.5a initially to 5amps. Quite low. For some reason mazda used 30A fuse there...

silvermazda
10-26-2014, 11:29 PM
Update:
The AC switch actually activates both fans (some load), and raises ignition timing (from what I felt driving around, and that's why idle goes up as well). I am not to happy to put the ~5amps from blower fan, 15A from main fan, and another 5A from AC fan on the alt. (guesstimating). For the most part I only need one fan on a switch, so I will get working on a switch to ground the splice I made at the AC fan-ecu ground wire.
It would be nice to know what the ecu does to bump timing, without resorting to turning on both fans and the blower, which results in a medium sized load that makes the engine and alt work harder. In addition, more load equals more heat and fuel use.