PDA

View Full Version : Looking for info about speed gauge

BlitzWing
10-08-2013, 03:53 PM
So I'm looking to replace my current dials. Not a hard task but my car a 94 Mk1 import with dials that end at 110MPH and while I will never hit those speeds I would like it to at least be 120mph just for looks.

From what I know their are 2 main ways to get a car swapped from KPH to MPH one is to install a box to alter the input so that the factory KPH dials actually read in MPH. The other is to keep it mechanically the same but to replace the dials so that the top speed on the dials is lower however its much easier to install with the only downside being the mileage is still in KPH.

So my questions are...

1 how does the 110MPH differ from the 120MPH dial? I think its just a case of graphic design but i'm not sure. Looking at them both side by side the gaps between the numbers look the same as the 120MPH dial it just has an extra 10mph tagged on the end making it look lopsided. This leads me to believe that it's only a cosmetic choice and any after market kit could be correct that lopsided look if I also moved the needle.

2 if it is just cosmetic is their a limit on the needles rotation? I've noticed some kits going up to 130MPH so am I right in thinking that the needle will keep going past 360 degree's?

SM16RMSM
10-08-2013, 04:20 PM
One issue you will run into is that the Speedo is cable driven on the NA chassis. Either than that, I don't know the difference is the gauge itself. So you can rule out the black box to alter the input reading.

wannafbody
10-08-2013, 04:39 PM
How about getting a different gauge cluster

psulja
10-08-2013, 05:13 PM
get revlimiter gauges?

revlimiter
10-08-2013, 09:26 PM
So I'm looking to replace my current dials. Not a hard task but my car a 94 Mk1 import with dials that end at 110MPH and while I will never hit those speeds I would like it to at least be 120mph just for looks.

From what I know their are 2 main ways to get a car swapped from KPH to MPH one is to install a box to alter the input so that the factory KPH dials actually read in MPH. The other is to keep it mechanically the same but to replace the dials so that the top speed on the dials is lower however its much easier to install with the only downside being the mileage is still in KPH.

So my questions are...

1 how does the 110MPH differ from the 120MPH dial? I think its just a case of graphic design but i'm not sure. Looking at them both side by side the gaps between the numbers look the same as the 120MPH dial it just has an extra 10mph tagged on the end making it look lopsided. This leads me to believe that it's only a cosmetic choice and any after market kit could be correct that lopsided look if I also moved the needle.

2 if it is just cosmetic is their a limit on the needles rotation? I've noticed some kits going up to 130MPH so am I right in thinking that the needle will keep going past 360 degree's?

Quoting so I can read easier. :)

UK Eunos import cars came with 110 and 120 mph speedometers. There is no difference other than the fact that one has an extra 10mph tacked onto the scale at the end. I make gauges with 130 mph speedometers to match a 9000 rpm tach. The speedo has no idea there's extra tick marks added to the end of the scale. It is happy to keep counting up. It will stop counting about 1cm counter clockwise from the zero. So I think 135 is possible, but not 140.

I've also had some customers with 180 mph units over there. They just had the 180 kph clock fitted with a sticker over the KPH part and put an adapter drive on the end of the transmission. (The black box you mentioned).

So... I think that answers your questions.

0: There are a number of black boxes to convert the speedo reading. There's also a few gears that you can swap in. But the easiest thing is to just stay with what you have, keep the mileage (er, kilometers) reading correctly on the odometer, and do new gauge faces.

1: No difference. They use the same speedometer. 110s and 120s are the same.

2: Yes, there is a hard stop on the speedometer.

SM16RMSM
10-08-2013, 10:55 PM
They actually make a black box for changing the ratio on cable driven Speedo? News to me. Ignore my first post then.

BlitzWing
10-09-2013, 03:35 AM
Quoting so I can read easier. :)

UK Eunos import cars came with 110 and 120 mph speedometers. There is no difference other than the fact that one has an extra 10mph tacked onto the scale at the end. I make gauges with 130 mph speedometers to match a 9000 rpm tach. The speedo has no idea there's extra tick marks added to the end of the scale. It is happy to keep counting up. It will stop counting about 1cm counter clockwise from the zero. So I think 135 is possible, but not 140.

I've also had some customers with 180 mph units over there. They just had the 180 kph clock fitted with a sticker over the KPH part and put an adapter drive on the end of the transmission. (The black box you mentioned).

So... I think that answers your questions.

0: There are a number of black boxes to convert the speedo reading. There's also a few gears that you can swap in. But the easiest thing is to just stay with what you have, keep the mileage (er, kilometers) reading correctly on the odometer, and do new gauge faces.

1: No difference. They use the same speedometer. 110s and 120s are the same.

2: Yes, there is a hard stop on the speedometer.

cool thanks for the info.

get revlimiter gauges?
thats the plan I just want to make sure I'm ordering the right parts (don't want to be caught going 35 in a 30 zone)

Dandy
10-09-2013, 11:02 AM
cool thanks for the info.

thats the plan I just want to make sure I'm ordering the right parts (don't want to be caught going 35 in a 30 zone)

Don't get caught. :blaugh2: