PDA

View Full Version : My brakes are squealing.

triptop
10-14-2013, 11:43 PM
Title says it all. I've been hearing a lot squeal whenever I brake and I've isolated it to my driver's side rear brake pads. I tried changing the brake pads myself but a stainless steel brake line is in the way of the bolt that retracts the caliper (see pic). So now I'm trying to find a good miata mechanic around San Jose, Ca. Does anyone know of any? Or is there anyway to move the brake line without removing the bolt it's attached to?

snake520
10-15-2013, 01:53 AM
should be able to break the banjo bolt lose and just move it up and then re tighten?

Tech3 in SJ knows a lot about miatas. I think Mr Mazda and rotorsport are also pretty good.

Massiah
10-15-2013, 02:10 AM
Mr. Mazda (Mike) is a good friend of mine and could help here. Before you take it to him, though, you can disconnect the e-brake line with a 14mm and then undo the 14mm bolt cover for the hex. Should be pretty easy.

SM16RMSM
10-15-2013, 11:43 AM
Looks like a custom built line for the caliper. Have you tried using a socket with an extension? I can't tell from the photo but maybe you can get a short socket on with an extension.

The Driver
10-15-2013, 04:29 PM
OP, I moved this to the NA section, as your car is an NA.

triptop
10-16-2013, 08:25 PM
should be able to break the banjo bolt lose and just move it up and then re tighten

Tech3 in SJ knows a lot about miatas. I think Mr Mazda and rotorsport are also pretty good.

I'm new to this. What is a banjo bolt? What's it holding on? What would happen if I took it off or loosened it? Would fluids leak? Is it attached to a brake line?
thanks again sir

triptop
10-16-2013, 08:28 PM
Which bolt holds the ebrake line? Would disconnecting that line leak anything? Is your friend open on the weekends?

Mr. Mazda (Mike) is a good friend of mine and could help here. Before you take it to him, though, you can disconnect the e-brake line with a 14mm and then undo the 14mm bolt cover for the hex. Should be pretty easy.