PDA

View Full Version : heat issues with Miata aftermarket headers?

Ihatecars
10-28-2013, 04:44 PM
I was speaking with a friends that was telling me about heat issues on my Miata using aftermarket headers. Not just heat soak in the intake, but heat inside the cabin. I was doing a little bit of Googling on the subject and found a story about somebody melting the bottom of their shoe while driving a modded Miata because of the Massive amounts of heat.

I'm interested in purchasing a Racing Beat Header for my Miata, but I've become slightly hesitant because of my fear of ruining my shoes. Has anybody ran into any issues with heat? Maybe not to the extent of shoes melting, but perhaps to the point that you can feel the excess heat inside the cabin? I live in south Texas and don't need any extra heat coming from my car.

speedypenguin
10-28-2013, 05:01 PM
I noticed more heat in my cabin after I installed my JR header...I've been thinking of installing some sort of heat shield around my exhaust. Adam wrote up a blog post about he addressed a similar issue.

horribleR
10-28-2013, 05:57 PM
wrap it with fiberglass and be done.

it'll help with emissions too!

Ihatecars
10-28-2013, 06:10 PM
Do wraps help that much? I've seen people say that it's the end all be all, and I've seen people say it's snake water.

I've also looked into Thermal Ceramic Coatings, but I've seen a few people bitching about them also.

horribleR
10-28-2013, 06:56 PM
Stock exhaust don't lie (fiberglass with metal shielding). My buddy seems to love his ceramic coated exhaust.

Ihatecars
10-28-2013, 07:11 PM
Oh, horribleR. I should know to never doubt you. :teehee:

speedypenguin
10-29-2013, 12:36 AM
The JR header is ceramic coated FYI. Even with that, I feel the added heat in the cabin.

Ihatecars
10-29-2013, 01:51 AM
Wait. So what your telling me is horribleR is wrong, kinda?

I'll never trust him again.

BlitzWing
10-29-2013, 10:33 AM
my old MX5Parts header used to get the cabin a bit tosty I also noticed how on cold days it used to warm the hood up faster. Saying that so far my Fujitsubo has been almost as cool as factory.

freedomgli
10-29-2013, 10:44 AM
My aluminum hood used to get so hot from the aftermarket header that I couldn't open the hood without burning my hands. When I wrapped the pipe I noticed a significant improvement. I've got a spare RB header that I'm going to send out to Jet Hot to get ceramic coated for this very reason.

wolfgang
10-29-2013, 11:03 AM
i have the racing beat header. hi flow cat and straight through exhaust. no carpet. driven in 100+ temps over the summer. never melted any shoes with my toes against the trans tunnel/firewall where the exhaust runs. just saying.

kung fu jesus
10-29-2013, 11:41 AM
I used a trackdog blanket on my coated JR header. Helped a lot. Also sheathed the heater hoses in some pyrotech(?).

psulja
10-29-2013, 11:53 AM
My turbo/downpipe keep my feet nice and toasty on cold top down nights.

atlnb
10-29-2013, 01:47 PM
You shouldn't feel enough heat for it to matter on your feet anyway. I'd worry about engine efficiency going down as opposed to a hot foot.

iKhanh
10-29-2013, 03:02 PM
i have a Racing Beat header and it hasn't been any noticeably hotter than the stock one in the cabin in my opinion. i do plan to put a trackdog header blanket on it though so the engine bay isn't as hot though.

has anyone ever tried this product? i was thinking about it...

http://youtu.be/pFxWOdOMrgM