PDA

View Full Version : Interesting NA data logging session.

TheButcher
11-01-2013, 03:25 PM
My car just for informational reasons is set up according to 949 racings website for a track purpose car. I do have a GV front splitter and also have cut the rear bumper pretty high up. My car is on Koni race coilovers with 700 and 450 Springs. I have the big Racing Beat sway bar on the front and I also have a Racing Beat the intake for the 1.8L.

So I was driving on the freeway and noticed my intake temperature was 104F. I thought that was pretty high considering the ambient temperature is 57F. So I open my headlights out of curiosity to see if it would change the temperature the temperature dropped down to 71F.

So I decided to do a proof positive experiment. The road I was on is very flat and straight. So I turned around put the cruise control on at 71 and turn the data logger on. I drove for 5 miles with the headlights down and record the data. Then I got off the freeway got back on and drove for 5 miles with a headlights up. Then reported that data.

So the results for the headlights down came out to 109F of a high with an average of 106F. With the headlights up the high was 71F with an average of 69F. I have removed the little flap on the hood behind the headlight. But other than that there is no modifications to the hood or the headlight. I did notice an slight increase in fuel economy also but I didn't really Datalog that so the data is not concise.

I gave the car 1 mile of equalization before data logging on each run. So each five mile section was a true representation of what the car was doing as opposed to turn around and getting back on the freeway having an effect on the experiment.

Just thought I would pass this information on. Well not an completely empirical test it does give us a pretty good idea of what the intake temperature doing in the engine bay.

Cheers!

horribleR
11-01-2013, 03:30 PM
interesting!

BigWaveDave
11-01-2013, 05:23 PM
A well crafted little experiment! Thanks for the info.

John J
11-01-2013, 05:55 PM
In my V8 conversion when my air filter was under the hood with a vented driver's side light cover AIT's ran in the 140 degree range. This occurred with an ambient temperature in the 80's. The air filter/intake was upgrade to an LS7 Corvette intake. AIT temps now run in the 90-100 degree range in traffic when temps outside in the 80 range.

kung fu jesus
11-01-2013, 06:32 PM
That is pretty interesting.

Using datalogging, would love to see if a cutout rear bumper decreases drag too.

Martin
11-01-2013, 06:56 PM
:( I don't have pop ups

jnshk
11-01-2013, 07:28 PM
I can reinforce the OP's findings. A few years ago I tested fuel economy of popups up versus down (courtesy of gulf coast TX's long straight flat roads for testing), the change in fuel economy was statistically insignificant, however the change in intake temperatures was dramatic (ambient temps of 99F constant cruising at 65mph, intake temps of 130F down vs 110F up).