PDA

View Full Version : Newbie here - what suspension mods do I need for the track?

Sydewaysix
11-07-2013, 11:44 PM
I'm new to the miata world and just picked up a 1990 A-package. The car came with quite a bit of suspension mods but I'm wondering if you suspension gurus think I need more/less/other suspension components to make this car handle well for track days. I have owned several mustangs, my last being a highly modified 98 cobra, and the suspension mods on these cars were endless since they handled like boats stock.

I understand the miata is a whole other animal when it comes to handling but I really want to dial it in well enough to handle just as well, if not better, than my last mustang with full suspension.

Current suspension mods:

Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2 Wheels (15x7)
Kumho Ecsta XS 205-50-15
Koni Sport Shocks (rebound adjustable)
SSS Springs (500 lb/in front springs, 300 lb/in rear springs)
Fat Cat Motorsports coilover kit
Fat Cat Motorsports NB upper shock mounts & bump stops
Racing Beat Front Sway bar
949 Racing End Links
Racing Beat Front Frame Brace
Racing Beat Rear Frame Brace (not installed but I have it)

Thanks!

Slampen
11-08-2013, 02:16 AM
You are set.
Drive it.

Mazdaspeed003
11-08-2013, 02:49 AM
Sounds like a great miata. Drive it and see what you think it needs. Remember to set the right tire pressure. After driving it a couple of times on the track, look into getting a race alignment.

BoBo
11-08-2013, 03:40 AM
Your set! It should handle equally or better than the stang due to lighter weight. Fat Cat setup is one of the best for miata. Try the FM alignment specs.

kung fu jesus
11-08-2013, 06:21 AM
Only mods you need are seat time and patience. People mod the crap out of their cars for track events and all it does is hinder your skill improvement by masking your deficiencies. Learn the skills to counter the negative handling traits. THAT is the challenge and fun doing track events. :)

Enjoy it!

Sydewaysix
11-09-2013, 03:36 AM
What do you guys think about my open diff for the track? I've never driven a car on a track with this type of rear diff. Do you think it's necessary to upgrade to a torsen or at least a vlsd?

I'm still reading up on the differences and what needs to be done to do this swap on my car. If you guys can chime in on what I'd need and what setup would be ideal for my plans I'd really appreciate it!

Phatmiata
11-09-2013, 07:18 AM
wow your Miata came with all that? you got lucky! sounds like the previous owner really knew Miatas! keep what you have and get to the track, you are ready to go as is!

atlnb
11-09-2013, 07:45 AM
Don't touch it, you're good. Have fun!

Filipe Dias
11-14-2013, 07:07 AM
What do you guys think about my open diff for the track? I've never driven a car on a track with this type of rear diff. Do you think it's necessary to upgrade to a torsen or at least a vlsd?

I'm still reading up on the differences and what needs to be done to do this swap on my car. If you guys can chime in on what I'd need and what setup would be ideal for my plans I'd really appreciate it!

Donīt know your power level. But If stock the Open diff may not be a big issue if you Race at bigger tracks with few (or none) slow sections where you use 2nd gear.

Anyway, since the stock diff (1.6) is prety weak I would do a torsen swap (Final ratio depending on your future plans regarding engine) as soon as funds allow.

Have fun with it, seems a very good set up.

Ps: Regarding the alignment. 949 Racing.

kung fu jesus
11-14-2013, 08:10 AM
Leave it alone until you are ready. I tracked my '92 for years with virtually an open diff. I finally went to a Torsen because I found one at a pick and pull for $200. Your suspension will counter most of the deficiencies of it being open.