PDA

View Full Version : Magnaflow Cat back, is it good on the miata?

toms96mx5
11-22-2013, 12:46 AM
I work in auto parts, and I know Magnaflow makes some excellent stuff, just wondering who if anyone on here has been running a Magnaflow catback, and how it has been holding up. I am asking specifically about the magnaflow because i can get a substantial discount on it through my work, I was sold on racing beat until I found out how much cheaper I could get a Magnaflow system. From the youtube clips I have seen of it, It seems to have a pretty good sound to it, but clips and real life can be very different sometimes. I would like something that is slightly more aggressive but not the crazy loud tuner car sound. Anyways any thoughts on it would be greatly appreciated!

kung fu jesus
11-22-2013, 08:22 AM
Used to live around the corner from Magnaflow in SoCal. They ARE good products. The systems I have heard tend to be a lower tone, but can be loud and a tad boomy in the cabin at speed. If you find this is the case, often the addition of a mid-pipe resonator (like a bullet muffler) can help change that frequency at speed.

I have a RacingBeat rear section on my NB. It sounds very subtle, very mellow. When I added a custom 2.25" midpipe, it definitely made it louder, surprisingly so, actually.

I have heard a few on Miatas, had one on my e36M3. They sound great, very serious, not raspy at all. With that exhaust, I have set off a few car alarms while it was on the bimmer, including my neighbor's truck. He was an Orange County sheriff. :teehee:

miata2fast
11-22-2013, 08:52 AM
I have heard of people stuffing pretty good sized Magnaflow mufflers under Miatas. It takes some creative fabricating, but it is pretty quiet. I am not real familiar with the cat back version, but I suspect they use a smaller muffler than what is possible to install.

kung fu jesus
11-22-2013, 09:13 AM
^that. The 949 racing cars had ginormous mufflers to pass sound regs at the track. All Magnaflow stuff. Probably the quietest races cars I have heard.

toms96mx5
11-22-2013, 12:29 PM
I will probably go for it in the spring. Since I don't have a garage I tend to only work on things that are a necessity in the winter when it is cold out and there is also the whole kids and Christmas thing that always puts a hiccup in the budget lol.

modernbeat
11-23-2013, 10:27 AM
I've got the boxed Magnaflow kit on my NA6. Not a custom setup. And it's the best kit I've put on a Miata, even better than some custom exhausts I had. And I work for a shop that builds custom performance exhaust.

jnshk
11-23-2013, 04:56 PM
This probably doesn't apply directly, but might be helpful to some. I've got a custom ARTech exhaust that uses Magnaflow components, and the tone is great. It's a Racing Beat header, Magnaflow 2.5" metallic cat, Magnaflow 2.5" resonator, and Magnaflow 2.5" oval muffler out to a 3" tailpipe tip. From what I understand the muffler he used is slightly larger than the usual choice, but I don't think it's as large as the cans that 949 use. It can get a little boomy/resonance under certain load conditions, but it's not unbearable by any means. I do sometimes find that it's changed my driving habits a little bit to avoid the drone zones in the rev/load range though.

meehata
02-23-2014, 01:22 AM
I had my magnaflow catback on my 96 for about a year and a half now. I simply love it. The sound just wakes up the car. It's not too loud like corksport, but a good tone especially at WOT. The biggest difference was in performance.

wannafbody
02-23-2014, 09:08 AM
Price wise it's hard to beat the Cobalt catback.

Flyin 92
02-23-2014, 09:23 AM
Ansa makes a nice muffler as well. Combine it with a strait mid-pipe and you have an awesome tone, zero rasp and zero drone exhaust. It sounds stock-ish while cruising, but really shines under WOT. I loved driving my brother's '90 more than mine just because the exhaust sounded that good.

Raisin
02-27-2014, 01:10 AM
Had one back when my car was stock engine. In this video I had the Maxim Works header and a 2.5" testpipe, with a cat I'm sure it'd be a lot quieter. I personally really like the tone, and as you mentioned the price is pretty darn good! Lifetime warranty on the cans too.

http://youtu.be/ZJlR-deEwMw

Ingallinero
03-21-2014, 08:10 PM
I work in auto parts, and I know Magnaflow makes some excellent stuff, just wondering who if anyone on here has been running a Magnaflow catback, and how it has been holding up. I am asking specifically about the magnaflow because i can get a substantial discount on it through my work, I was sold on racing beat until I found out how much cheaper I could get a Magnaflow system. From the youtube clips I have seen of it, It seems to have a pretty good sound to it, but clips and real life can be very different sometimes. I would like something that is slightly more aggressive but not the crazy loud tuner car sound. Anyways any thoughts on it would be greatly appreciated!

I Have a full Magnaflow exhaust system and i LOVE it sounds so good.

BoBo
03-22-2014, 03:04 AM
I had magnaflows on different cars, and they sound really great. I had a magnaflow custom welded for my 91 mr2 and 93 Mr2 Turbo. It's one of my favorite brands of mufflers because it's sound clean. Meaning, not too loud or raspy. It's like one of my favorite brands of exhaust systems. I'm looking to upgrade my exhaust on my 96 in the future and it's either gonna be magnaflow or racing beat. I wish I had one for my car right now.