PDA

View Full Version : Stumbles on Acceleration

Redokc1
12-02-2013, 06:43 PM
I have a 1991 that had not been driven much for the last 2 years and have started to restore and get it back on the road.
I bought the car about 5 months ago and drove it home (about 15 miles) and the car ran fine.
As I have been doing the body work, I will start the car to move it around the garage but I have notice that the car really stumbles or bogs down as I press the accelerator even thogh I am not releasing the clutch to put a load on the engine.
It had about 1/4 tank of gas and I put another 5 gallons of fresh 90 octane and some fuel stabilizer in it to give it about 3/4 of a tank.
The car will start and idle very smoothly all day long but as soon as you hit the gas, it stumbles.

I am new to the Miata scene and don't know where to begin.
A few questions I have are:
1) Does this car have an inline fuel filter?
2) Where can I check for specs on fuel presure and where to check?
3) Are the fuel injectors easy to pull and check for clogs/clean?

Thank you for any help to be offered!

toms96mx5
12-02-2013, 08:14 PM
It does have an inline fuel filter it is near the rear right tire and supposedly under a plastic cover but mine was missing the cover. Fuel pressure should be 30 to 38 with the vacuum hose connected to the regulator and 38-46 with it disconnected. I haven't pulled the injectors on mine yet so I don't know how hard they are to pull.

Redokc1
12-04-2013, 11:50 AM
Ok, thanks for the info. I think I will just replace the filter before I go any farther.
Do you know if there are issues with vaccuum leaks or airflow sensor emulating the same symptoms?