PDA

View Full Version : help with frozen door locks

JLBMX5
12-11-2013, 07:10 PM
I have a 93 Miata with an aftermarket alarm and door lock actuators . This morning it was so cold out my car was frozen. I hit my keyfob and the doors would not unlock. I put my key in drivers door and it was so frozen I could not turn it. I was able to turn passenger door lock. But still would not open so I poured hot water on the door itself to see if that would work and it finally let me in the car. We had a lot of rain yesterday morning so I am thinking I got water in the door and everything froze up. my question is does anyone know of a lubercant I can spray in door to stop this from happening again.

Agent☣Orange
12-11-2013, 07:14 PM
Man, don't pour water in there, it'll freeze again in even smaller spaces. Auto parts stores carry that door lock de-icer that you shoot into the cylinder to unfreeze and lubricate door locks.

JLBMX5
12-11-2013, 07:15 PM
I only poured the water on the outer door shell not the inside of the door

BlitzWing
12-11-2013, 07:35 PM
if you have a soft top with a zip window you could try and unzip it from the outside. turn the car over and let the heater and car engines slowly heat the car up.

ibid
12-11-2013, 07:45 PM
things I've done in the past include:

'heat up the key itself with lighter or stovetop burner... nice and hot so it slides into keyhole no problem'

hair dryer onto lock

get in the other door

JLBMX5
12-11-2013, 09:44 PM
I am leaving my car doors unlocked tonight. will go to auto store tomorrow after work to see what they have for the door locks. I will also give the heated key a try if the spray does not work.

kung fu jesus
12-12-2013, 09:35 AM
WD40 is a water repelling agent. When I rebuilt my door lock on the BMW, it came with a small tube of what looked like silicone grease.

FWIW, I have lived in placed cold enough to shatter door handles. I have pissed on my door lock to free it up because it was frozen. True story. :)

tsingson
12-12-2013, 10:07 AM
FWIW, I have lived in placed cold enough to shatter door handles. I have pissed on my door lock to free it up because it was frozen. True story. :)

Vladimir Guerrero did the same thing on his hands to toughen them up for batting. True story. Just saying.

The De-Icer in a spray should work great.

kung fu jesus
12-12-2013, 10:51 AM
Oh yeah, forgot about those deicer things. Looks like a little bottle of mace with a little tube injector on the top.

JLBMX5
12-12-2013, 11:51 AM
I left my car unlocked this morning and sure enough the locks were frozen again.hopefully this spray works because I do not feel safe leaving car unlocked.

lowandrusty
12-12-2013, 03:31 PM
yeah, I've been having the same problem as well. I've been leaving mine unlocked, but that is definitely not an ideal or permanent solution. :lol:

theothersawyer
12-12-2013, 03:35 PM
Get a garage! That'll solve your problem! :P

JLBMX5
12-12-2013, 04:02 PM
I just added that de-icer I bought two cans. It seems to be a little easier to turn the key but I never used the key to unlock or lock my doors. I still leaving it unlocked tonight so in the morning after a good freeze I can see if the locks are frozen if not great but if still frozen I will be able to get in car still. If I had a garage I would install my new top and rollbar :( hell I would settle for a friend with a garage to get those installed.

kung fu jesus
12-13-2013, 09:54 AM
James, there is either water condensing on the mechanism and/or the lubricant is old and dirty. Those deicers are good to use when you really need them, but there is a bigger issue at hand. To really solve the issue, consider removing the mechanism, cleaning them, lubing them with a high grade lube that will help reduce the friction and keep the water out of the moving parts.

JLBMX5
12-13-2013, 11:46 AM
If its nice on Sunday I might try to get them out then and clean and lube them. I just hope they don't fall apart in my hand. When I took them out of my truck they fell apart but then again those were not working at all so I was replacing them anyways

JLBMX5
12-13-2013, 05:07 PM
I did some searching online and found that locksmiths use graphite powder to lubricate door locks so I ordered some in hopes of it helping me in restoring my door locks.