PDA

View Full Version : Fuel questions.

blenderblast
01-07-2012, 05:06 PM
Okay, I need to know how the fuel system works. My '97 isn't getting any fuel pressure. I've changed the fuel pump to a known working walbro 255 (my car is turbo-ed), still nothing. Changed the fuel pump relay. Nothing.
What do I need to check? Are there any areas that could have a clogged line by any chance that wouldn't allow any fuel pressure?

adamvanxxx
01-07-2012, 05:46 PM
The fuel filter?

blenderblast
01-07-2012, 06:41 PM
Are there any visible signs that would let me know the fuel filter is bad? Or do I have to take it off to run liquid through it?

adamvanxxx
01-07-2012, 07:39 PM
Its a maintenance part, just replace it.

Soledad
01-07-2012, 09:01 PM
Can you hear the FP turn on when you turn the ignition to the 'ON' (engine not running) position?

revlimiter
01-07-2012, 11:39 PM
There's a fuel pressure check pin in the little diagnostic box (used for TEN and GND when setting timing).

http://www.miata.net/garage/images/diagpins.gif

Put a jumper between F/P and GND and you'll be able to pressurize your fuel rail. Or you will when things are working. =)

Did it just suddenly stop getting fuel? Or did you change an engine and get into your fuel system, possibly crossing the feed and return hoses when you put things back together?

blenderblast
01-08-2012, 12:35 AM
I've been looking for that rev limiter!
It just suddenly stopped working. It has done this before, but I swapped a different fuel pump relay and it worked fine. That didn't work this time.
My fuel pump makes noise when it wants to. Sometimes I'll hear it, sometimes I won't. It has a mind of its own. I have asked around from a few guys who have walbro 255s in their car, and they say they have the same problem. Makes the whining noise whenever it wants to.