PDA

View Full Version : The Roar is getting closer

Thumper13
12-18-2013, 07:02 PM
Jan 3,4, and 5...The Roar before the 24

Who's going besides Me Kabel and f86 ???

f86sabjf
12-19-2013, 03:54 PM
no race fans left I guess????

Thumper13
12-19-2013, 06:15 PM
Deep sigh, how depressing.

Unk577
12-19-2013, 11:36 PM
I'm in...

Phatmiata
12-20-2013, 09:13 AM
you might get interest from new members if you post more details, such as; date, time, location address, etc. Only the guys that have been going for a while know what you are talking about. just my .02 cents

SM16RMSM
12-20-2013, 10:37 AM
I'm in. I've signed up a while ago.

Thumper13
12-20-2013, 10:52 AM
OK, the Roar before the 24, Jan 3-Jan5. This is the last official testing for the teams competing in the 24 hrs at Daytona. This year will be MUCH busier than previous years due to all the new rule changes. Since Rolex DP and GT merged with the American LeMans series there have been wholesale changes to both groups and elimination of a few classes. This is an opportunity to get right up against these fantastic machines. You get to hang out at the fences along the infield within 20 feet of the track. If you're any kind of gearhead this is the one time each year to get a hi tech, hi speed fix.

I flagged for the trials in November and DP's were having one dickens of a time finding speed while the Ferrari GT cars were killing everyone. The new Delta Wing Nissan,unveiled last year has changed slightly and looks super cool. It is wearing the number 0 because there is no official class for the car. The real purpose of the whole thing is to now have American based series cars that will compete at LeMans. The new Ford DP is amazing,powered by a twin turbo 3.8 ecoboost motor. It's LOUD and fast.

The Roar is an opportunity to walk through all of the garages,talk to mechanics and drivers. During the 24 it gets so crazy nobody has the time to chat with the fans. With the exception of the " Hot Pits" and the racing surface itself you have all access to anywhere you want. The drivers and crew make time for the fans. Grass Roots Magazine leads a guided tour through all the pits and usually gets the Sahlen boys and one of the Nonamakers to speak with the group and answer questions until you guys run out of things to talk about.

Kabel and I will be flagging for the Roar as well as the 24. I know the both of us are really excited about this opportunity and hope to see a lot of you out there. If you happen to pass by a corner one of us is working at,shout out and let us know you're here.

f86sabjf
12-20-2013, 11:05 AM
were just going to hang out and shoot some photos no real meet up. Probably going sat to shoot and sunday to hang out

kabel
12-31-2013, 09:42 PM
Saturday would be a great day to go, especially because there will be a USCC evening practice.
A great chance for you photographers wanting to get some practice in on shooting the track after sundown.

Thumper13
12-31-2013, 09:57 PM
Saturday would be a great day to go, especially because there will be a USCC evening practice.
A great chance for you photographers wanting to get some practice in on shooting the track after sundown.

Ohhhhh ahhhhhhhh...nothing quite like glowing rotors and off throttle flames shooting out exhaust pipes.

Actually for the true gearheads this weekend is better than the race weekend. You can get face time and access to drivers and other notables that is impossible during the race weekend. I'm so stoked I can't stop smiling. My wife keeps asking me what I am on and can she have some of it ?

Best part yet........( if you're willing to put in four or five weekends to do some volunteer work ) .....it's FREE !!!

Unk577
12-31-2013, 10:00 PM
Will be there Friday and Saturday. Any one know if there is infield parking for the Roar?

Thumper13
12-31-2013, 10:19 PM
Will be there Friday and Saturday. Any one know if there is infield parking for the Roar?

Yes and lots of it.

Unk577
12-31-2013, 11:39 PM
Look for the Silver NC and black 911. That will be us

kabel
01-01-2014, 12:29 PM
Ohhhhh ahhhhhhhh...nothing quite like glowing rotors and off throttle flames shooting out exhaust pipes.

http://kabelphoto.smugmug.com/ROLEX-24-Hours-of-Daytona/USCR-DIS-test-days-Nov-2013/i-cjKzk3x/0/L/kabel_DSC0665-L.jpg

Thumper13
01-02-2014, 07:45 PM
Holy Frost Bite Batman..................Kevin, did you see the morning temps for Daytona 40+ frigging degrees. Could be worse,I guess,we could be living up North. That makes me feel warmer already !

f86sabjf
01-03-2014, 10:06 PM
Have fun gang one of my coworkers who wouldn't stay at home has infected me with one of the seasons colds . I'll be sleeping this weekend:(

Unk577
01-03-2014, 10:11 PM
Does anyone know who has the galaxy grey NC with removable hardtop, rollbar, RPF1's(I think) that was wondering around the infield?

Thumper13
01-04-2014, 05:31 AM
Have fun gang one of my coworkers who wouldn't stay at home has infected me with one of the seasons colds . I'll be sleeping this weekend:(

OMG, Jeff, I worked 6 safety yesterday.i now know what they mean by once you live in florida for a while you can't move back

It was mid 40's with nasty winds. I worked6safey. Which is a good 6ft above the cars. I has on two tees shirts a hooded sweat shirt and winter Mazda coat and gloves. It was stil effing cold,althoug I am sure any Canadian would have been in shorts and a tee shirt looking for the beach.

I had a blast though. Too bad I don't have a camera, I had company up there all day long with photogs wearing the blue vests. I can't do it justice but THIS was the best place ever to watch this race,not to mention a porta potty not 20 ft from my position

I'll try and do it justice when I get home Sunday nite.

Cheera old buddy !