PDA

View Full Version : Advice on DSLR purchase please

Dandy
12-22-2013, 07:45 AM
I'm planning on taking a digital photography class in the evenings at my local high school in the new year. I'm supposed to bring my DSLR to class but since I don't have one, I'm looking for some advice on what to get. I'm definitely a novice and mostly just looking to be able to take some nice pics of my car, Jenny. In the coming year I plan to take a very extensive road trip across the country and I hope to be able to document my trip with pictures.

Also, If you have any advice on some easy reading, I'd like that too. The class I am taking is supposed to be geared to the beginner and intermediate so I figure the more familiar I am with the camera and digital photography, the more I will get out of the class.

I have never been much more than a point and click type of guy, but if there are features that aren't too complicated to use and will make my pictures look more interesting, that will probably make using the camera more interesting to me.

kung fu jesus
12-22-2013, 08:30 AM
Though not touching on models specifically, look for a used body and a couple of basic lenses and equipment. As you learn more, you will understand what you prefer and how to use it. A good bag is a must, too.

Dandy
12-22-2013, 04:37 PM
What are the basic lenses and equipment? I'm a complete novice.

kung fu jesus
12-22-2013, 04:41 PM
Decent article

http://gizmodo.com/5331109/the-3-dslr-lenses-you-need-and-2-more-youll-crave

You want a GOOD padded bag with adjustable compartments. No need to drop a mint. Just enough to get you started and figure out where you want to go with it.

Pfunk
12-22-2013, 05:26 PM
While I think Canon lenses are slightly better than Nikon, I find that Nikon cameras are much nicer to use due to control and menu layout. I've been using Nikons for 20+ years as a result. I agree with KFJ--go used. One combo that cannot go wrong would be the D200 with the VR18-200mm zoom; it is older, but the image quality is fine and the lens can go forever. You can run a D300 if you want newer.

Or: if you want a camera that you could never need to upgrade from, go with a used D700 (full-sized sensor rather than cropped) and the VR28-300mm zoom. It's the full-sized equivalent of the 18-200. I used to have a bag full of primes (single-size lenses) but when I got this zoom, I did a side-by-side comparison of image quality for all lenses and I lost nothing other than a bit of speed, but with the ISO capabilities of the full-frame sensor on the D700, that just doesn't matter. The joy of having just a few lenses rather than a bag of them... amazing. Also, whenever you swap out lenses, dirt gets on the sensor, so you want to do that as little as possible. I now run the 28-300VRII, the 16-35VRII, and an old-school manual focus 600mm for my wildlife shots. It's the lightest, smallest 600mm ever made. Sometimes I think about swapping out the 16-35 for something a bit wider, but I am waiting until they bring out the full-frame version of their ultra-wide zoom.

speedypenguin
12-22-2013, 05:42 PM
Dandy, I am a Canon user, but honestly, both Canon and Nikon are good. I started off taking photography by purchasing a Canon Rebel T2i w/18-55mm kit lens and 50mm f/1.8 prime lens a couple of years ago. I am only a "hobby photographer", but since then I've upgraded to a Canon 60d w/28-135mm lens and still have my 50mm prime lens. I'm sure other photographers will chime in, but as good as a camera body may be, it's crucial to have a good lenses with good optics for good pictures.\

So I'd say, it wouldn't hurt to pick up a "beginner" camera with kits lens, because it helps to familiarize yourself with how the camera works and its settings. It's useful to understand exactly what adjusting aperture does, exposure compensation, adjusting white balance, etc...once you feel more comfortable with the camera, you can play around with which focal lengths you like and/or aperture setting you like, and then decide which lens to upgrade to, even upgrade the camera body down the line as well.

Flyin 92
12-22-2013, 06:39 PM
Buy the most expensive one on the market.

Problem. Solved.

SM16RMSM
12-22-2013, 07:57 PM
I started off on a Canon EOS D1 Mark II. It was a $3000+ camera 8+ years ago. My grandfather is looking to sell it. They don't go for much these days.

Agent☣Orange
12-22-2013, 08:06 PM
I used to shoot professionally back in the film days with my Nikon F3, F4 and Olympus OM-1 as a backup. Quality Nikkor lenses made the difference in hardware quality but understanding depth of field, aperture to speed relation and so on takes a while to master.

If I were to take a road trip, honestly, I'd pick a nice point-n-shoot so I could enjoy the trip rather than camera settings. My current camera is a Canon G11 which is a compact magnesium body with great auto settings but ability to go full manual.

Dandy
12-23-2013, 05:49 AM
Man, I didn't realize just how much coin this could cost me. Other than looking at the upcoming schedule of adult-ed photography classes, I hadn't looked at anything before coming here. I knew we had a few experienced photogs that might be willing to share some advice. I was a little surprised that all the classes offered expect you to show up with a camera. I was kind of hoping to learn a little bit and then make a camera selection.

Agent*Orange, you make a good point with the point and shoot for my trip. I like to keep things simple. I figure I can use the DSLR for when I want to stage a shot and for things like the Grand Canyon. Of course I'll have my camera phone with me at all times.

Since I have no experience whatsoever, I don't think it makes any sense for me to spend more than I have to and a good used camera probably makes the most sense for me. Where should I be looking to find a decent price on good used equipment? Should I go to a camera shop or are there good sources online for decent equipment? Maybe someone wants to sell their beginner's camera?

Pfunk
12-23-2013, 06:42 AM
It might help if you let us know what you're looking to spend: preferred range, max. Also, please look into some of the models suggested so far and then tell us which appeal to you. With a bit more information we might be able to better work with you.

Dandy
01-20-2014, 07:09 PM
I want to thank everyone for their advice. I was a little overwhelmed at first with all the alphanumeric nomenclature so I took a step back and let my weary mind rest. When I read over everything again and started reading other information online and then comparing, it started to make a lot more sense. I read very good things about Nikon and Canon and the advice you guys provided was spot on.

I found a good deal on a used Nikon D200 and a new Nikon 18-55mm II lens for a combined price of $315. I figure this will be good to get me started for my class which starts next Monday (another $65 for 16hrs. of instruction). The D200 sounds like a good base and as I learn more I can invest in lenses and accessories if I find myself getting more serious.

Pfunk
01-20-2014, 07:50 PM
Excellent! I used the D200 for years and years--it's a great camera, and the lens you got will be fine to start. Great price, too!

Ihatecars
01-20-2014, 09:16 PM
As somebody that owns a 4/3 frame, don't buy a 4/3 frame.

Stey
02-20-2014, 02:56 AM
It's been a month now? How do you like the Nikon? And photography in general? Anything specific you'd like to learn/know?

Dandy
02-20-2014, 09:49 AM
I'm still learning. I don't really have anything to compare the Nikon to. I'm timid about actually shooting pictures and the learning process is not really drawing me in. I'm glad I'm doing it. Things will click eventually.

Thanks for asking. It's good to know we have experienced people willing to offer help.