PDA

View Full Version : Cruise Control Combo Switch

AndyB
01-04-2014, 08:18 AM
Installing cruise control in a 2000 Base model that has fog lamps. All parts are installed except the combo switch for fog lamps and cruise control. Combo switch connector is different for the fog lamp switch connector and I can't seem to locate a connector for the combo switch. Would Mazda have used two different wiring harnesses? One for fog lamp cars and one for fog lamp and cruise options. Need some advise from some one who has done this modification.

Agent☣Orange
01-04-2014, 09:34 AM
When you say all parts are installed, do you mean factory vaccuum actuator, cruise control module, stalk switch, clutch switch and wiring harness? Because the harness for a base will not include the wiring and connector for the dual fog/cruise switch if not equipped from the factory.

Satisaii
01-04-2014, 11:47 AM
I just did this on an NA. Even though it may not be a direct A to B comparison, the NA dash harness did not have the cruise wiring. The body harness did. I had to run wires from the switch to the existing body harness wiring. Lots of fun.

AndyB
01-04-2014, 01:02 PM
The Vacuum actuator is installed under the hood, cruise module installed under dash at left above foot rest (there was a connector for this module), stalk switch is installed, clutch switch is installed. Just can't locate a connector for a combo switch!

I was thinking if there was a connector for the cruise control module then the other connectors must be there somewhere. Also, since fog lamps were not standard on the base model and I have them on my car that there would be wiring for OEM cruise as well.

Would removing the gauge cowl give me a better view to look for "hidden connector"?

Agent☣Orange
01-04-2014, 02:21 PM
That's interesting and does sound hopeful since the other plugs were there. You can remove the knee panel under the steering column and have a good look up there. Just follow the fog light wiring back and maybe the cruise control plug would be there somewhere taped away.

If the wiring for the cruise control module is there then it's reasonable to expect the wiring for the switch should also be there. You could remove the gauge hood and cluster, sure, but you'd have a better view and easier time removing the knee panel.

tsingson
01-04-2014, 07:32 PM
Did you have the factory fog switch? Is your cruise control unit OEM? I went from just a cruise switch to a combo switch when I added my fog lights and the connectors are different. The cruise control wires are the same color but the connectors to the switch are different. I hoped even that helps a little. Let me know if you have any other questions and if you could take pics, it may help as well.

AndyB
01-04-2014, 08:54 PM
I have the factory fog lamp switch. The cruise control is all OEM. I guess I need to do some more hunting under the dash to see if I can locate the combo connector. It's just hard on my old guy back!

tsingson
01-04-2014, 09:14 PM
I don't think you are going to find the combo connector there. When I swapped switches with an NB that had the combo switch, I had to cut his connector off of his NB and solder it to my NB. I then had to solder my connector to his NB.

Now you say it's the factory cruise. Have you pulled the switch out and looked at the connector? If you can grab some pictures, it may help.

Agent☣Orange
01-04-2014, 09:43 PM
I think he was saying he has a base, then acquired all the factory CC parts to add to his base and discovered everything is plugging in except the dual switch. Not much detail on how the OP got these CC parts or if it was the previous owner.

I've seen base Miatas with wiring for fog lights even though not installed but I believed that base Miatas had a different main harness that didn't allow for someone to just add factory CC later. Now I'm reading that all his CC components are plugging in just fine except for that dual-switch connector which might be just a matter of locating it.

tsingson
01-04-2014, 09:56 PM
The one thing that confuses me is if the fog lights work with his current switch because the fog lights and cruise switch connector are one solid connector with I believe 9 wires. It isn't just 2 separate connectors.

Agent☣Orange
01-04-2014, 10:13 PM
Yes, it's hard to say without knowing more detail and some history. Did the PO install fog lights and the switch? Is the wiring to the switch spliced or taped off? Another way to peek up there is to unscrew the fuse block, pull it out of the way and the view of the switch area will be pretty unobstructed.

AndyB
01-05-2014, 06:42 AM
OEM fog lamps work fine. I think that one has six pins. The combo switch has 9 or so pins. Hoping there in a pigtail for the combo switch hidden under the dash some where as well. Just can't seem to locate it yet. If there isn't a plug and play for the combo switch what are my options?
Thanks for the input.

tsingson
01-05-2014, 10:05 AM
I can get you the wire colors for the cruise from my switch. Just let me know.

AndyB
01-05-2014, 10:30 PM
That would be great thanks.

tsingson
01-06-2014, 09:07 AM
I will try and get the picture today. It's not pretty outside and I get out from work when it's dark.

tsingson
01-10-2014, 10:19 PM
Andy, I could not get that switch out for the life of me. I will try and have Steven post up the wire colors for the switch that we had found.