PDA

View Full Version : NA Miata MX5 Future Collectible

MRnewsBot
01-06-2014, 03:46 PM
MAZDA MIATA TURNS 25:

FIRST GEN PRICES ARE STILL ATTRACTIVE

(FOR NOW).......................... :whistle:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7300/11806066356_8a4800297e_c.jpg

This is bound to send a shudder up the spine of any 40-something—the Mazda Miata turns 25 next year. It seems like the first spy shots turned up in Road & Track a few years ago. But the fact of the matter is that the Miata predates social media by about 18 years, and widespread use of the Internet by five or six years. In those days, you really did get your first look at significant new cars like the Miata in the buff magazines.

Fast-forward 25 years and the Miata has a lot of mileage on it. Several generations, more power, complications like a retractable hardtop and lots more weight make many of us pine for the simplicity of the car that bowed as a 1990 model in the fall of 1989. Those who have never driven one dismiss it as merely “cute.” Those who know a thing or two about driving recognize that it’s one of the sharpest drivers’ cars since the Lotus Elan that Mazda designers so wisely cribbed from.

Happily, to the collector car market, early Miatas are still just used cars to which the unkind rules of depreciation still apply. But probably not for long. Rich Pennington (www.miatasportscars.com) may be one of the only dealers in the U.S. specializing in first-generation Miatas (1990-97). “They look, sound and feel like a sports car. They’re bouncy, simple, low to the ground and you can put the top up with one hand. It carries on from the MG and Austin-Healey and Triumphs of the ’60s, except they start and they’re really nice on the inside, with A/C and heat that work. I genuinely like the style of car.”

Pennington started out as a VW dealer almost 50 years ago. “It’s the first car that I felt had some of the same qualities as the VW Beetle. Plus, they’re bullet-proof, with 300,000-mile engines and — with the exception of the white cars — good quality factory paint.” Nice examples of first-generation cars can still be found on eBay Motors for around $4,000. We’d wager that in 10 years or so, we’ll all be saying “coulda, shoulda, woulda.”

source: http://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2013/11/19/Mazda-Miata-turns-25?utm_source=ExactTarget&fb_action_ids=551055571651073&fb_action_types=og.likes&fb_source=other_multiline&action_object_map=%5B647008382004809%5D&action_type_map=%5B%22og.likes%22%5D&action_ref_map=%5B%5D

Flyin 92
01-06-2014, 03:51 PM
Mine turns 22 in April :)

It's white and the paint has held up exceptionally well. All of the other colors show fading MUCH sooner than white and look like crap compared, but I am a little bias.

Blueiii
01-06-2014, 05:31 PM
Mine turns 22 in April :)
Which is why your don't suffer the white paint problems. I believe they fixed it after the 91s. (Could be wrong on that, though.)

WASABI
01-06-2014, 06:53 PM
Even though I look at pictures of Miatas every single day, I never get sick of them. They really are the perfect roadster, and I think history will prove that. Add another ten years and there will be few NA Miatas under $3500.00, never mind the '93 LE, Merlot and '91 BRG.

miata2fast
01-06-2014, 11:06 PM
I have owned a Miata for as long as they have been around, and I still think they are the most fun car you can have for the money. I knew from the beginning that this car would be very desirable some day.

I have endured all the gay Miata jokes for years, but I am pretty sure who will have the last laugh.

Andy
01-06-2014, 11:52 PM
Which is why your don't suffer the white paint problems. I believe they fixed it after the 91s. (Could be wrong on that, though.)

Oh so wrong. I had it on my 92.

Ihatecars
01-07-2014, 12:13 AM
Sometimes I wonder if I'll look back at my Miata and regret modding it.

WASABI
01-07-2014, 05:29 AM
Sometimes I wonder if I'll look back at my Miata and regret modding it.

You should buy a couple extras, just to make sure.

Phatmiata
01-07-2014, 08:04 AM
With all the Miatas that get parted out by owners, salvage yards, and those built for Spec-Miata or other racers and then crashed im sure in 10 years we will see the number of clean, rust free, wreck free 1st Gen examples shrink up fast.
The 1st Gen Miatas are still VERY cheap to buy and lots of parts available to fix them up. IIRC the 1st GEN RX7 had the same amount or maybe more produced than the 1st GEN MX5? And I rarely see those old RX7s driving the streets anymore.

edit here is the Wiki info

The first generation RX-7 were a total of 474,565 cars produced;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda_RX-7

The MX5's first generation, the NA, sold over 400,000 units from 1989 to 1997
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda_MX-5

Dandy
01-07-2014, 09:24 AM
Fuel injection drop-top roadster FTW!