PDA

View Full Version : NA to NC3 Club, I'm a believer!

The Driver
01-22-2014, 06:12 PM
Thanks to TDR (Tuning Done Right, not affiliated with Track Dog Racing), I no longer aspire to have Mustang BOSS. I mean I do, but reallistically, I'd enjoy an NC3 Club with this: http://www.tdr-mx5tuning.com/?page_id=729

Now, if I ever marry "money", I'll have both the BOSS and the Turbo NC3, but given the unlikely event of that happening, the Turbo MX-5 should be plenty fun!

I<3flippyheadlights
01-22-2014, 06:44 PM
I don't mean to poop on your thread, but please do some more reading on Tuning done rights NC3 miata with boost. I don't know everything in the world about turbos, but the turbo gurus at MT literally flipped their lid over this car and how bad it is. When they confronted him on his tune, he couldn't answer anything.

Once again, don't mean to kill your dreams, but its just a heads up

fwdtamiya
01-22-2014, 06:44 PM
Needs more V8

The Driver
01-22-2014, 06:49 PM
Needs more V8

Will you pay for it? To have a V8 engine on my soon to be NC3? Man, you sure are a nice feller!

fwdtamiya
01-22-2014, 07:45 PM
In that case, have fun with your highly acclaimed turbo kit. Since you were considering a mustang I figured you could just have the best of both worlds instead of failing to make the miata more like a mustang. :lol:

The Driver
01-22-2014, 07:52 PM
In that case, have fun with your highly acclaimed turbo kit. Since you were considering a mustang I figured you could just have the best of both worlds instead of failing to make the miata more like a mustang. :lol:

I don't know what you are LOL about. I want a Mustang BOSS, but I also live in a world of limited resources. I also happen live in an area where tiny houses (1,700 sq ft) go for close to $300K. Though I make a fine living, I'm not one of those persons who blows his entire paychek in just one hobby. Heck, I just started sky diving, which on top of been a runner, a skier, a rock climber and a single man who LOVES the ladies; I'm just not planning to go insolvent over a toy, specially when I already have a SWEET NA.

So an NC3 Club, with some FCM coilovers and a TDR turbo fits that bill just fine.

Phatmiata
01-22-2014, 10:47 PM
I drove a NC with Header, Intake, Exhaust, Clutch Flywheel and I can tell you they are pretty damn fast right outta the box..

There is a local one I play with on the interstate onramp every morning and he can keep up most of the time, add a turbo and that miata would be scary fast.

I say go for it man, also check out the PROJECT-G/KRAFTWERKS Rotrex Supercharger kit for NC Miata :whistle:
http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread.php?7713-NC-KraftWerks-Rotrex-Supercharger-Kit-Sneak-Peek

The Driver
01-22-2014, 11:10 PM
Nice plug boss, but when FI, only turbo for me.

Unk577
01-22-2014, 11:15 PM
Coming back to Tampa anytime soon?

The Driver
01-24-2014, 11:33 AM
Coming back to Tampa anytime soon?

I phucked up didn't I?

When we went to Plant City, it turned out to be the day my BIL was skydiving, off of CR 39. One thing turned into another and I wound up sky diving also. Didn't get back to Plant City (Parkesdales) until we were on our way to BOrlando International, as that was the airport I was flying out of.

On top of that, I got sick, and then my poor Mother got sick, so I had to look after her. Not that I mind, she did change my diapers when I was a baby!

So when will I get back to Tampa??? If my family comes for Christmas over here to the North Pole, I should be spending Thanksgiving there. Otherwise, I have trips schedule to Philly (for a cousings wedding, he's marrying a yankee girl) and I got a couple of races to (a 50K and a half marathon) run in Oklahoma and a marathon in Washington State.

Phatmiata
01-24-2014, 11:37 AM
You went to parksdales and did not come visit me? :angry::wtf:

No Miata T-shirt for you!!! :blaugh2:

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/012/980/soup_nazi_large.jpg

The Driver
01-24-2014, 11:42 AM
You went to parksdales and did not come visit me? :angry::wtf:

No Miata T-shirt for you!!! :blaugh2:

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/012/980/soup_nazi_large.jpg

You were at that time still posting snowy pics from TN, genious... :rolleyes:

wannafbody
01-25-2014, 11:17 AM
I'd buy the Boss just because it's more iconic and looks better than the NC, actually I'd probably buy a regular 5.0 and upgrade to the Boss intake.

HELLIONMX5
02-02-2014, 02:02 PM
hmmm. Changed my decision real quick. Got excited till i saw the TDR vs. MT.net LOL

theothersawyer
02-03-2014, 11:59 PM
I'd buy the Boss as well, but that's because Mustangs were my first love, and I would kill for a Boss!

Pfunk
02-04-2014, 05:01 AM
tiny houses (1,700 sq ft)

Or, as we say in both Hawai`i and Japan, huge houses. :lol: All relative! Glad you like the NC. I was at RS Aizawa's the other day and a friend/customer of theirs, who was the guy who brought Windows (PC) to Japan, was tuning his NC on the dyno. I/H/E, with ECU tuning, he hit 175rwhp, 150tq, the same I achieved on my crazy expensive N/A '99 build. Mine still looks better, of course. :mrgreen: Seriously, though, the NCs are solid platforms for performance.

The Driver
02-04-2014, 11:07 AM
Or, as we say in both Hawai`i and Japan, huge houses. :lol: All relative! Glad you like the NC. I was at RS Aizawa's the other day and a friend/customer of theirs, who was the guy who brought Windows (PC) to Japan, was tuning his NC on the dyno. I/H/E, with ECU tuning, he hit 175rwhp, 150tq, the same I achieved on my crazy expensive N/A '99 build. Mine still looks better, of course. :mrgreen: Seriously, though, the NCs are solid platforms for performance.

Yeah, I guess it's all relative, about the houses. But yes, the NC's have so much potential, it's kinda ridiculous to overlook them!

Phatmiata
02-04-2014, 11:20 AM
Yeah, I guess it's all relative, about the houses. But yes, the NC's have so much potential, it's kinda ridiculous to overlook them!

just wait for the ND to release and the NC prices will drop like crazy, there are already a ton of cheap NC finds on Craigslist

The Driver
02-04-2014, 11:39 AM
just wait for the ND to release and the NC prices will drop like crazy, there are already a ton of cheap NC finds on Craigslist

NC1's are cheap. Don't want 'em, don't care for them. I could work with an NC2, but it's the NC3 Club that has me drooling over. It will be a good two years, before I pull the trigger anyway. Time is my friend! :)

Unk577
02-04-2014, 03:17 PM
NC2's are coming down quite nicely also. Don't know why anyone would ever buy a NA or NB again:whistling:

The Driver
02-04-2014, 03:28 PM
Don't know why anyone would ever buy a NA or NB again:whistling:

BAN! :mad-new:

Unk577
02-04-2014, 04:05 PM
:triumphant:

BoBo
02-04-2014, 06:23 PM
The new Boss is a complete car with looks, handling, and power. However, the new miata still has potential. I mean it's a still a new car, so I'm pretty sure someone will come out with a new fabricated turbo or supercharger, other than the one's we have now. Just about anything can be done with money. I was checking out PRHT Club a while back, I dig the look but kind of pricey for being under 200hp. You could turn around and get a v6 or v8 pony for about the same price, but that's just me, I like both cars.

Thumper13
02-04-2014, 06:33 PM
I don't mean to poop on your thread, but please do some more reading on Tuning done rights NC3 miata with boost. I don't know everything in the world about turbos, but the turbo gurus at MT literally flipped their lid over this car and how bad it is. When they confronted him on his tune, he couldn't answer anything.

I know Jay personally and 3 of his satisfied customers. I ran MiB3 with Jay and one other turbo'd NC. Jay was literally abusing the hell out of his car to see what it could handle. The motor shot a rod out the side of the block,the motor had close to 50k miles on it,under boost when the failure occurred. Not too shabby for a test bed car that was being driven hard to see where it might grenade.

Bitch was he was 600 miles from home. The Black one is bad to the bone. I've been around my share of high performance cars both turbo/s.c/ and n.a 50K miles on a test mule is amazing and the crap re: MT is not exactly complete. Those guys wig out if you can't produce a wrapper from a tampon.

Methanol injection made a huge difference,I've seen the results first hand,and been blown away by that car while carving up The Snake.

I don't care much for the NC period but I would not hesitate going to Jay to build me a turbo'd model with stronger connecting rods if I was so inclined. You don't just add a turbo and go,the internals and support system do need some attention.

SM16RMSM
02-04-2014, 08:08 PM
I like the Club Edition NC. Would consider trading the MSM for one but I really like the MSM too. Kinda want both. :cry2:

The Driver
02-04-2014, 08:32 PM

Txs for the heads up!

The new Boss is a complete car with looks, handling, and power. However, the new miata still has potential. I mean it's a still a new car, so I'm pretty sure someone will come out with a new fabricated turbo or supercharger, other than the one's we have now. Just about anything can be done with money. I was checking out PRHT Club a while back, I dig the look but kind of pricey for being under 200hp. You could turn around and get a v6 or v8 pony for about the same price, but that's just me, I like both cars.
The biggest engined car I've owned were my two Jeep Cherokees and my current 2002 Tacoma. Other than two volvo 5 cyl turbos, everything has been 4 cyl for me. About the turbo... That was on the first post!

I know Jay personally and 3 of his satisfied customers. I ran MiB3 with Jay and one other turbo'd NC. Jay was literally abusing the hell out of his car to see what it could handle. The motor shot a rod out the side of the block,the motor had close to 50k miles on it,under boost when the failure occurred. Not too shabby for a test bed car that was being driven hard to see where it might grenade.

Bitch was he was 600 miles from home. The Black one is bad to the bone. I've been around my share of high performance cars both turbo/s.c/ and n.a 50K miles on a test mule is amazing and the crap re: MT is not exactly complete. Those guys wig out if you can't produce a wrapper from a tampon.

Methanol injection made a huge difference,I've seen the results first hand,and been blown away by that car while carving up The Snake.

I don't care much for the NC period but I would not hesitate going to Jay to build me a turbo'd model with stronger connecting rods if I was so inclined. You don't just add a turbo and go,the internals and support system do need some attention.

NC2's and NC3's have factory installed forged internals. No need to "upgrade" on them, unless you looking for 400 bhp @ the wheels. I know that 335 bhp is more than enough!

BoBo
02-05-2014, 01:56 AM
The biggest engined car I've owned were my two Jeep Cherokees and my current 2002 Tacoma. Other than two volvo 5 cyl turbos, everything has been 4 cyl for me. About the turbo... That was on the first post!

What I meant was, there's always gonna be more people making turbos for these new cars as time go on. The tuner link you showed seems pretty good, and I'm pretty sure there will be more support for this car as time goes by.Just boost your NA!... I would be more than happy if a miata had somewhere between 200-250 at the wheels, that's more than enough for this little car.

BoBo
02-05-2014, 02:06 AM
I like the Club Edition NC. Would consider trading the MSM for one but I really like the MSM too. Kinda want both. :cry2:

I would keep that MSM. I wish I had one, it's a fantastic car to begin with, just jack up the boost. I knew a guy from SoCal many years ago, he had an MSM with FM built motor and turbo and that thing was fast. Mazda should come out with a turbocharged NC.

Ciotti
02-05-2014, 02:49 AM
I drove Jay's car at MiB 3 and 4, it's insane, absolutely insane. Power comes on hard at 3,000 and it just keeps charging hard all through the rev band, VERY impressive. I've driven a lot of turbo cars and the only thing I can compare it to is a 550 bhp Noble that I've spent a decent amount of seat time in over the years.

Jay's a great guy too, he's the type of person that would go WAY out of his way to help a fellow car guy whether he was a close friend or someone he just met.

His car is at 1:58...

http://youtu.be/mGS__K1VVhs?t=1m58s

http://youtu.be/mGS__K1VVhs?t=1m58s

Malibu Q
02-05-2014, 03:50 AM
Where I live, fun driving on the road is all about corners.

I'd choose an NC3 over a new Mustang.

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2821/12317728095_8bb54a6b6c_o.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7430/12317999913_3b6972419b_o.jpg

The Driver
02-05-2014, 12:49 PM
^The new Mustang is sweet, and frankly so is the 2012 BOSS 302. It really is a matter of disposable income, and how much I'm I willing to dispose on a depreciating asset.

theothersawyer
02-05-2014, 12:53 PM
The new Mustang can certainly corner. Now it has IRS, and I can't wait to see what it can do on the track! Ford had 911's as the benchmark for the new Mustang. Should be a great car! I want one!

The Driver
02-05-2014, 01:39 PM
Ever seen/read the 2012 BOSS 302 coments, from track racers? It can CORNER. The issue is not the vehicles abilities, or lack thereoff. Cost, that is the issue.

theothersawyer
02-05-2014, 04:51 PM
Yeah, everything I have read says that Ford really dialed in the live rear axle! My comment was more geared towards "Malibu Q" , but money is a big factor. The NC3 Club's are pretty damn expensive IMO. I was at a Mazda dealer a few months ago and the Mazdaspeed 3 was cheaper than the Club.

The Driver
02-05-2014, 06:29 PM
Yeah, everything I have read says that Ford really dialed in the live rear axle! My comment was more geared towards "Malibu Q" , but money is a big factor. The NC3 Club's are pretty damn expensive IMO. I was at a Mazda dealer a few months ago and the Mazdaspeed 3 was cheaper than the Club.

Time is on my side. The problem with the BOSS 302, is that horders are already buying them, and the car after some depreciation, is already apreciating. No way to tell in two years time, where BOSS prices will be, but word on the street is that they will remain the same, or go up. NC3 prices will take a hit, as soon as the ND is released or the MX5 is all scrapped.

Bummer
02-05-2014, 09:40 PM
Like Ciotti, I've actually driven Jay's car, too. In both 93 octane and e85 tunes, the car was incredible. The I could drive the car on rough roads and in twisties like a race car, and through town it had the manners of my wife's Fusion. The car runs crisp and clean at all rpms, and in all situations. You can read that post on MT all you want, but Jay's tuning works very well (even for daily driving), and you can't argue with his numbers or the durability. He beats the car, he lets everyone else beat the car, and it still went 50k miles on a used NC1 engine with 380whp, and a myriad of experiments. When I move to an NC, I will be buying his stuff. He's proven himself to me. He tests, he understands, he improves, he's available day or night, and he backs his shit up. There is no risk to you. So, shy away if you want, it's your loss.

Hyper
02-06-2014, 07:37 AM
2015 Mustangs start at 22,510!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQjpMqmnVeo

Malibu Q
02-06-2014, 08:40 AM
I'm certainly not dissing the Mustang. They are a similar size and spec to Australian Ford Falcons. Falcons have V8s and IRS, handle very well and are a fantastic car to cover long distances. Falcons sometimes come as limited edition Boss versions too. If I travelled extensively in mainland Australia, the Mustang would probably be a better choice than the NC.
Most Tasmanian roads are narrow one lane each way style, and wind up and down hills and mountains. A mile long straight is a long straight here.
Small light cars are easier to position on the narrow roads, change direction more quickly and suit local roads better.

The Driver
02-06-2014, 09:47 AM
2015 Mustangs start at 22,510!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQjpMqmnVeo
Start, not end...

I'm certainly not dissing the Mustang. They are a similar size and spec to Australian Ford Falcons. Falcons have V8s and IRS, handle very well and are a fantastic car to cover long distances. Falcons sometimes come as limited edition Boss versions too. If I travelled extensively in mainland Australia, the Mustang would probably be a better choice than the NC.
Most Tasmanian roads are narrow one lane each way style, and wind up and down hills and mountains. A mile long straight is a long straight here.
Small light cars are easier to position on the narrow roads, change direction more quickly and suit local roads better.

Ha, that's cool. Puerto Rico, where I was born (and partly raised) has narrow roads like that.

kung fu jesus
02-06-2014, 01:08 PM
I have often wondered how much fun a properly sorted chassis on an NC would be with an engine that had gone full-retard with the Cosworth catalog bolted to it, naturally aspirated.

The NCs are growing on me. Had an interesting conversation with a friend about only having ONE car to DD (highway runs, commuting) and for fun stuff like an occasional track day for $9k or less. I was surprised to hear the words "NC Miata" come from my mouth.

Unk577
02-06-2014, 05:01 PM
I have often wondered how much fun a properly sorted chassis on an NC would be with an engine that had gone full-retard with the Cosworth catalog bolted to it, naturally aspirated.

The NCs are growing on me. Had an interesting conversation with a friend about only having ONE car to DD (highway runs, commuting) and for fun stuff like an occasional track day for $9k or less. I was surprised to hear the words "NC Miata" come from my mouth.

Don't fight it, come to the dark side and realize how much better it is....

Phatmiata
02-07-2014, 08:42 AM
Ever seen/read the 2012 BOSS 302 coments, from track racers? It can CORNER. The issue is not the vehicles abilities, or lack thereoff. Cost, that is the issue.

:teehee: Mustang can CORNER ??

http://img.techpowerup.org/110205/mustang%20confused.jpg

The Driver
02-07-2014, 12:18 PM
Haters will H8...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OE4AH4DZtEI

BoBo
02-07-2014, 10:55 PM
I gotta say, the new Boss 302 is hard to find right now, and it isn't getting any cheaper. My neighbor is trying to get rid of his E55 to get a 302 ,however, no luck in finding a blue one for sale. Those 302's are no joke in the tracks.

brontosaurus
02-07-2014, 11:45 PM
I don't care how great of a people person Jay is, anyone who designs a manifold with a runner flowing into another in the opposing direction isn't anyone I'd want working on my car, ever.

The Driver
02-08-2014, 02:23 AM
I don't care how great of a people person Jay is, anyone who designs a manifold with a runner flowing into another in the opposing direction isn't anyone I'd want working on my car, ever.

Care to expand? Inquiring minds want to know!

Unk577
02-08-2014, 02:04 PM

Pics of the manifold you're referring to?

brontosaurus
02-14-2014, 02:33 AM
http://i.imgur.com/XgrfAzg.jpg

Nevermind the fact that the turbo is tack welded to the manifold. Anyone who thought this was a good idea should never touch a car. Anyone who thinks that an naturally aspirated Miata needs an AFR in the low 11s, bordering on high 10s at WOT should never touch a car.

Martin
02-14-2014, 10:02 AM
I'm far from an expert, but that doesn't look right to me.

maharaj
02-14-2014, 11:39 AM
Nice paperweight

Unk577
02-14-2014, 01:45 PM
Is that the production manifold that is being sold with the kits?

brontosaurus
02-14-2014, 02:53 PM
Is that the production manifold that is being sold with the kits?
After pretty much everyone from MT.net explained why the "design" was a joke, he went and changed it. I believe a couple unfortunate beta testers have these though.

Unk577
02-14-2014, 04:23 PM
Built the runners in the wrong order. Should have built #'s 1&4 first so they would point down into the flange and then 2&3 into those. Hopefully that is the way it is now.
Everybody makes mistakes. As long as they learn from those mistakes is what matters

Bummer
02-14-2014, 05:13 PM
That was a mock-up to give to his fabricator to show packaging requirements. As we all know, production parts look different than rough drafts. Below is what the production unit (with proper fabrication equipment rather than garage mock-up) looked like. Even if any feedback from MT led to changes, that would just tell me that Jay is capable of accepting criticism and building off of it. 414 Dynojet horsepower and 430 torque out of a dead reliable 2 liter plug-n-play production kit is pretty impressive. If anyone knows better, they should go into business and bless us all with their production and tuning prowess.

http://i544.photobucket.com/albums/hh356/appalachianmiatas/1518691_680121512038045_1196294877_o_zps5fd0914f.j pg

brontosaurus
02-15-2014, 01:08 AM
That was a mock-up to give to his fabricator to show packaging requirements. As we all know, production parts look different than rough drafts. Below is what the production unit (with proper fabrication equipment rather than garage mock-up) looked like. Even if any feedback from MT led to changes, that would just tell me that Jay is capable of accepting criticism and building off of it. 414 Dynojet horsepower and 430 torque out of a dead reliable 2 liter plug-n-play production kit is pretty impressive. If anyone knows better, they should go into business and bless us all with their production and tuning prowess.

http://i544.photobucket.com/albums/hh356/appalachianmiatas/1518691_680121512038045_1196294877_o_zps5fd0914f.j pg
I'm glad they finally made a manifold that might be decent, hard to tell without seeing the back side of that collector. For the sake of being complete though, what you wrote isn't entirely true. The manifold I posted is indeed, a test manifold that they did initially think was a reasonable piece of work. After criticism they came up with this, which isn't much better either (http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=472354 for reference).

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-f9eLWLxz4a0/UC74rwbtIrI/AAAAAAAAANs/mKZBENsw38E/s800/edited%25202.jpg

I didn't know about the newest design, it certainly does look more promising. Looks like the finally hired someone decent.