PDA

View Full Version : HAVE QUESTIONS ,we have answers

kung fu jesus
02-26-2014, 09:42 AM
At MazdaRoadster, we do not condone flaming, trolling or bullying. NONE.

We want to help, but you have to help us help you! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmlXU4uK5rA
(this is how I feel trying to answer a vague question...:p )

If you have a question, here are some tips to get the answers you need from the experienced membership here! :)

1 - There is no such thing as a stupid question

Everybody has to start somewhere, even the most Zen master Miata guru. There are easy questions to answer, often repetitive. We won't default to "search n00b!", but often the answer is a click or two away.

2 - Make the title relevant to the issue.

Vague titles usually get overlooked, so give the title some meaning. If you are having engine problems, say so in the title. "HELP!" or "Car is dead" doesn't really do it. Something like, "Engine stalls at a stoplight" will garner more attention. We know it can be frustrating, It is frustrating to US if we cannot understand what the issue is. :)

3 - Give us the basic information

It all starts with the basics. Year, mileage, modifications (if any). There are subtle differences between the years, even those with same engine. This is critical for us to help you faster. It can also eliminate possibilities that would lead everyone on a wild goose chase.

4 - Articulate the issue.

You have a problem or question, tell us some of the specifics. No detail is too small. Observations, instances, characteristics...they can all help us piece together the problem and put you on the right path. Take the time to tell us the story. You will get in return what you put into your post. If no one replies, it may be a lack of information or maybe the description is difficult to read. Keep calm, edit, articulate. Help will come!

5 - A picture is worth a thousand words

Smartphones are everywhere! There are also many sites that host videos and images, including social media, for free! Give us a few images, a simple video, something that helps us see or hear what you do. You would be surprised how often a good diagnosis can come from a few images or short video. This site is content-rich and we have features that make it easy to post this sort of media, use them.

Finally, be patient! We have people here from all over the world, so those people may not be on the site at that time. Don't panic. If you followed the guidelines above, help is on the way. There are a lot of members here who love helping others, so give us time, we will give you ours. :)

Phatmiata
02-26-2014, 10:28 AM
Great post, making this a sticky! Thanks given!!

Flyin 92
02-26-2014, 11:08 AM
It's about time KFJ made a useful post :P

MX5RACER
02-26-2014, 11:20 AM
"Help me... Help you"

Legendary
02-26-2014, 01:13 PM
I don't intend to flame, troll or bully, but I didn't know this site had changed its name! :D

At MiataRoadster, we do not condone flaming, trolling or bullying. NONE.

We want to help, but you have to help us help you! :)

tsingson
02-26-2014, 01:16 PM
Corrected.

Agent☣Orange
02-26-2014, 01:29 PM
Haha, I've done the same. At least MiataRoadster is a good company so no big foul.

I really agree with #2, making titles relevant. I hate seeing titles like "HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" and then the post is "What shift knobs fit a Miata?"

BAMBINO M
05-09-2015, 10:41 AM
I have 2001 NB that is automatic now. Need some tips or help to convert to a manual transmision. Decided not to sell the car and make it a keeper. Thanks

kung fu jesus
05-09-2015, 11:06 AM
Not 100%, but you will need the pedals, clutch hydraulics, transmission, clutch, ECU and matching key(s), some wiring finesse, and good juju.

BAMBINO M
05-09-2015, 12:50 PM
Thanks. Has any member done a conversion to manual trany?

kung fu jesus
05-09-2015, 03:26 PM
Yes. The tricky part for your case is the ECU. I don't think an auto ECU will play nice with a manual conversion. On top of that, the '01 has a security system integrated between the keys and ECU, IIRC. You may have to search around to confirm this discrepancy.

The people I know who did the conversion did so on earlier models.

BAMBINO M
05-10-2015, 12:34 AM
Thanks

Anthony007
01-11-2016, 10:34 AM
my end cap broke off the light and turn signal stem can I just replace the end cap or do I have to replace the whole stem? off a 1999 Miata I removed a stem off a Miata at the junk yard wow a lot of work lol thanks

Flyin 92
01-11-2016, 01:58 PM
my end cap broke off the light and turn signal stem can I just replace the end cap or do I have to replace the whole stem? off a 1999 Miata I removed a stem off a Miata at the junk yard wow a lot of work lol thanks

As far as I know it's all one piece and not supposed to come apart.

steamburn
02-18-2016, 09:04 PM
Big question: How can I get to make entries in the newbies introduction sub?

kung fu jesus
02-18-2016, 09:14 PM
Are you locked out or...?