PDA

View Full Version : 14x7 vs 15x7 rim size?

mx54life
03-05-2014, 10:51 PM
Sorry but I can't find a specific answer to this question. Which one would be a better choice for a Miata NA 14x7 or 15x7 rims. The reason being is that I have a choice of snagging either an Enkei RPF1 14x7 et 19 or a Panasport 15x7 et 25, both used and at same price. Unfortunately I can only pick one per wife's blessing LOL. Thanks.

Ihatecars
03-05-2014, 11:10 PM
Get the Enkei RPF1s.
The Panasports are great wheels, but the Enkeis are literally made to fit a Miata. The build quality is superb, they look great, and they're easily replaceable if something happens to them while driving around.

Tkblazer
03-05-2014, 11:23 PM
More tire choices in going with a 15" wheel

revlimiter
03-05-2014, 11:27 PM
Enkei 14" RPF1s are the ultimate Miata street wheel. I'll never let my set go.

That said, tire choice is shitty. If you can live with only a couple performance options or if all seasons don't bother you, then don't give the Panasports another thought.

JamieH
03-05-2014, 11:28 PM
I think it's a style/taste choice you have here. Two great wheel choices that will give your Miata two different looks. I'd go with the Panasports, but being that I have Chaparrals, I'm biased.

You've also got two different offsets. But I'm not sure how much difference 6mm is going to make. I'm inclined to think the Panasports will give that little bit of extra room for tire choices.

There's plenty of images out there of Miatas with both sets of wheels. I say go for the set that you like the style of the most. Either way, you can't go wrong here.

mx54life
03-05-2014, 11:41 PM
Thanks guys. Now can someone chime on the weight difference as to how it would affect driving performance? The Panasport weights 17 lbs while RPF1 is about 8+ lbs. Is the difference significant?

JamieH
03-05-2014, 11:59 PM
Very. Car may feel a bit slug-ish with 17lbs wheels. Where as the 8lbs RPF1s will make the car seem nimbler. All has to do with unsprung rotational mass. If performance is a concern, the Panasports aren't really an option.

Pfunk
03-06-2014, 05:43 AM
That difference in weight is substantial; what others have said about tire choice is quite valid, however. BBKs generally also require the space a 15" wheel allows, should that be something you're considering.

atank
03-06-2014, 06:01 AM
You will not regret the Enkei RPF1 !!!!!!!!!!!!

mx54life
03-06-2014, 07:25 AM
^^^Loud and clear gentlemen. Thank you.

Phatmiata
03-06-2014, 07:40 AM
15" has better tire options, and you can get into some of the big brake kits later on, 14" not so much.

jux
03-06-2014, 10:10 AM
Yeah, with the 14" RPF1s, you get to stick with 1.6 brakes, 1.8 non-sport brakes, or the FM little big brake kit...and that's about it.
Street feel of the lighter wheels is impressive.

etikoner
03-06-2014, 11:29 AM
1.8 non sport brakes work just fine as long as your rotors pads, lines, and fluid are all up to date.

The feeling of switching to a lighter wheel is as good as it gets. Get grippy tires while you're at it.

tsingson
03-06-2014, 11:33 AM
I had Drag DR19s on my car and switched to the lighter Konig Wideopens and honestly didn't notice any change. The only change was with people pointing and giving me the thumbs up. I remember someone posting up an article somewhere on lighter wheels vs heavy wheels and there wasn't much of a difference in lap times. Maybe just it being lighter to put on and off of the car is a good thing?

Personally, I like the look of the RPF1s but the 15" gives you a lot more choices in many aspects just like Randy had said.

But you can't go wrong with either wheel. I love both looks.

mx54life
03-06-2014, 12:47 PM
I had Drag DR19s on my car and switched to the lighter Konig Wideopens and honestly didn't notice any change. The only change was with people pointing and giving me the thumbs up. I remember someone posting up an article somewhere on lighter wheels vs heavy wheels and there wasn't much of a difference in lap times. Maybe just it being lighter to put on and off of the car is a good thing?

Personally, I like the look of the RPF1s but the 15" gives you a lot more choices in many aspects just like Randy had said.

But you can't go wrong with either wheel. I love both looks.

Funny you mentioned this but I do have a Konig Wideopen and yes from a 16x7 20 pounder to a 13 lbs rims did not really made a big difference maybe because of my supercharger?

Ok so I read that a wider rim with higher offset ( say a 15x9 w/ +36 offset) will yield better cornering result as long as it is not extremely heavy. Any truth to this?

ibid
03-06-2014, 04:03 PM
I'd avoid anything 14" for the miata like the plague because of the extremely limited tire selection (just how it is!)

I'd also NOT get the heavy 17 pound wheels.. no way!

My suggestion is to wait for a better 15x7 wheel that you like better!

WASABI
03-06-2014, 04:46 PM
OK, so if you have to get this past your wife, you have to use "fuzzy logic". Explain that you need two sets of wheels. The Panasport for vintage car shows, and another set for daily/spirited driving. Tell here there is no way around it. You wish there was, but you just need two sets of wheels... then tell her how pretty she looks!

P.S. I'll send you the info you asked for tonight.

jux
03-06-2014, 09:16 PM
Went from an 8" 6UL w/ rs2 to the 14" +19 RPF1 w/ T1R. That dropped 8-9lbs per corner. Believe me, it's pretty noticeable. If only the sidewalls were stiffer...
As to 9" wheels having more grip, yes. If you autox or hit the track, the added grip will negate any weight gain associated with the wheel/tire combo.

mx54life
03-06-2014, 09:29 PM
OK, so if you have to get this past your wife, you have to use "fuzzy logic". Explain that you need two sets of wheels. The Panasport for vintage car shows, and another set for daily/spirited driving. Tell here there is no way around it. You wish there was, but you just need two sets of wheels... then tell her how pretty she looks!

P.S. I'll send you the info you asked for tonight.

Lol that fuzzy logic worked that is why I got 1 running miata that is getting the LE interior, 1 going to be BRG and 1 donor. Now the sudden recent accumulation of parts somehow cleared out the fuzziness. I have to slow down and do some quick, accurately low expenditures or else the silent treatment will become deafening lol. I also have to start putting these parts together to make sense or else I may lose major spousal sponsorship. And the damn work schedule is not helping......

WASABI
03-07-2014, 02:18 PM
Well, here are the pictures I promised. Sorry it took so long, it's been in the teens temperature wise (wind chill in the negative numbers) for the last couple weeks, and these were out in the garage.

Outside wheel measurement 16.25" (roughly)
http://www.fagerquist.com/miata/build/panasport-1.jpg

Inside wheel measurement 14.50" (roughly)
http://www.fagerquist.com/miata/build/panasport-2.jpg

Inside wheel depth, to mounting face 5.50" (roughly)
http://www.fagerquist.com/miata/build/panasport-3.jpg

Wheel width 8" (roughly)
http://www.fagerquist.com/miata/build/panasport-4.jpg

The cast type on the front of the wheel
http://www.fagerquist.com/miata/build/panasport-5.jpg

Weight is 16 pounds a wheel.

Martin
03-07-2014, 02:56 PM
16lbs and yet they are called Ultra Lights :fp:

I still love mine

WASABI
03-07-2014, 03:03 PM
16lbs and yet they are called Ultra Lights :fp:

You gotta weigh... if you wanna play!

kung fu jesus
03-08-2014, 06:09 AM
In an NA, wheel weight make a considerable difference, IMO.

I have run the gamut. Generally, I like to keep my wheel weight size UNDER 14#, but this is just my preference. The car I had ranged from 18# 15x7 Compomotive wheels to 8# 14" Watanabes. I also had a set of SSR Type C @ 10.2# at 15x7.5, 15x7 RPF1, Konig Wideopens, and a set of Rota C8s. Over 15#, the car begins to crash over bumps, frost heaves, and large cracks in the roads surface. Lighter wheels make the handling feel lighter, more agile, but it may only be a placebo.

Fourteen inch wheels sizing stinks, I moved away from the Wats primarily because of that.

16# is not that bad if you consider the stock 14" steelies are about that same weight and some 16" NB wheels are about the same. Buy what you like and enjoy it. :)

ibid
03-08-2014, 12:41 PM
I guess I'm just spoiled by 13lb 15x7 wheels (which can be had for $94 a piece from TireRack - TRM C1)

WASABI
03-08-2014, 09:49 PM
I guess I'm just spoiled by 13lb 15x7 wheels (which can be had for $94 a piece from TireRack - TRM C1)

From what I understand, the OP needs the rims to accommodate a big brake kit. I don't think you can fit Wilwood brakes in a 13" wheel. I would even think a 14" might be too small (depending on the rim).