PDA

View Full Version : What aftermarket Alarm System would you recommend?

mx54life
03-15-2014, 11:04 PM
I have a 1994 with an aftermarket power door locks (installed but not wired yet) and a factory power windows. I am wanting to install an alarm system. What would you guys recommend and also can someone send me a link to an install guide please?

BoBo
03-16-2014, 05:13 AM
Viper: NO ONE DARES COME CLOSE!

I had viper alarms on 3 different cars before, and I would say it's worth the money. One lasted forever on my mr2 Turbo, the second viper alarm was on my 92 miata and it was the key less entry with pager...pretty sick but the pager went out, but I got a free replacement. My third one is on my 96 right now. I got the basic alarm with key less entry, I love the range of the receiver and it's pretty reliable so far.

Hyper
03-16-2014, 02:18 PM
A simple external battery hook up to the antena and chasis will ground the car and fry your alarm in a minute

Consider this.

1. Buy a Works Bell or NRG quick release steering wheel kit
2. Buy a Battery cut off switch
3. Remove the 30mp Fuel injection fuse every time you park your car. your car will never start, period.

ibid
03-16-2014, 02:36 PM
Hidden battery cutoff switch along with quick release steering wheel always worked for me FWIW.

mx54life
03-16-2014, 04:33 PM
I have no external FM antenna, I have installed a wireless antenna instead and the antenna hole has been capped.

So you guys are saying an alarm is useless?

JLBMX5
03-16-2014, 04:51 PM
I have a cheap 30 dollar eBay alarm. I purchased it along with two door lock actuators .so now my car at least has power door locks .

BoBo
03-16-2014, 07:46 PM
I have no external FM antenna, I have installed a wireless antenna instead and the antenna hole has been capped.

Alarm is definitely use full especially if you have a hardtop, anybody can make a battery cut off to keep the car from starting, but you want something that will deter thieves. The sound alone will discourage most thieves, and look for an easier target, it simple because the sound of the alarm alone will attract unwanted attention. I had a few of my cars broken into before but none after the alarm install, thank GOD.

Thieves can disable the sound of your alarm by cutting the alarm horn, but that takes time depending on location which would already attract negative attention on the thief. Adding a club or removing your steering wheel with quick release and adding hardtop security is also a plus,depending on the type of neighborhood you have. An alarm will never give you 100% security, however, every little bit helps . Don't keep valuables inside your car,remove your face plate, change your timing & routine and you should be better than before. A car with an alarm inside a garage is even better though.

mx54life
03-16-2014, 08:33 PM
Alarm is definitely use full especially if you have a hardtop, anybody can make a battery cut off to keep the car from starting, but you want something that will deter thieves. The sound alone will discourage most thieves, and look for an easier target, it simple because the sound of the alarm alone will attract unwanted attention. I had a few of my cars broken into before but none after the alarm install, thank GOD.

Thieves can disable the sound of your alarm by cutting the alarm horn, but that takes time depending on location which would already attract negative attention on the thief. Adding a club or removing your steering wheel with quick release and adding hardtop security is also a plus,depending on the type of neighborhood you have. An alarm will never give you 100% security, however, every little bit helps . Don't keep valuables inside your car,remove your face plate, change your timing & routine and you should be better than before. A car with an alarm inside a garage is even better though.

Thanks, makes sense. Who installed your alarm? It looks like you close to Sac.

BoBo
03-16-2014, 09:45 PM
Best Buy, you can buy the viper alarms there and it's free installation.

twiztog43
03-17-2014, 02:03 AM
A simple external battery hook up to the antena and chasis will ground the car and fry your alarm in a minute

Consider this.

1. Buy a Works Bell or NRG quick release steering wheel kit
2. Buy a Battery cut off switch
3. Remove the 30mp Fuel injection fuse every time you park your car. your car will never start, period.

1. Many thieves will probably already have a quick release anyway, so they will just pop their wheel on.
2. Not really practical unless you like to program your radio everything time.
3. Won't stop them from stealing your car. (Such as pushing or towing it)

An alarm is your best option. It won't stop the pros, however the typical person would be warned away. It's to keep "honest" people honest.

Also make sure your installer puts the siren in a difficult place to reach, not under the hood, since that's where they would probably look. You can also disconnect the trunk release cable and put an electric trunk popper which is what I did so they can't disconnect the battery. And most importantly go with a two-way alarm. That way if someone does set off your alarm, you will know and be able to check out anything suicious, versus the alarm blaring for hours and annoying the neighborhood.

mx54life
03-17-2014, 02:20 AM
1. Many thieves will probably already have a quick release anyway, so they will just pop their wheel on.
2. Not really practical unless you like to program your radio everything time.
3. Won't stop them from stealing your car. (Such as pushing or towing it)

An alarm is your best option. It won't stop the pros, however the typical person would be warned away. It's to keep "honest" people honest.

Also make sure your installer puts the siren in a difficult place to reach, not under the hood, since that's where they would probably look. You can also disconnect the trunk release cable and put an electric trunk popper which is what I did so they can't disconnect the battery. And most importantly go with a two-way alarm. That way if someone does set off your alarm, you will know and be able to check out anything suicious, versus the alarm blaring for hours and annoying the neighborhood.

Now sir this is why I thought of the alarm in the first place. Thanks.

Hyper
03-17-2014, 09:06 AM
Now sir this is why I thought of the alarm in the first place. Thanks.

No big deal. NRG also sells a quick release steering wheel lock kit.

you can also remove the trunk release cable install the battery cut off switch, take the removing nut that comes with the kit with you every night. The thief will have find a way to open the trunk to re-install a negative pole in place in order to start the car.

http://image.modified.com/f/projectcars/modp-1104-project-dc2-spring-cleaning/30769226/modp-1104-09-o%2Bproject-dc2%2Bnrg-lock.jpg

Phatmiata
03-17-2014, 09:18 AM
When my car was parked on the street (prior to having a garage) I would unplug random fuses, as well as disconnect the battery. If you are really worried I would get a LoJack installed. And don't leave your car were its an open target.

HELLIONMX5
03-17-2014, 09:19 AM

yeah, so about that wireless antennae? more info please. also great for minds to brainstorm. yes I thought about the steering wheel lock, alarm with tilt, tint, what about a back up battery???

mx54life
03-17-2014, 10:17 AM
When my car was parked on the street (prior to having a garage) I would unplug random fuses, as well as disconnect the battery. If you are really worried I would get a LoJack installed. And don't leave your car were its an open target.

At one point we had an M5 with a lojack that got stolen in NJ, got recovered 1 month later in SC. The problem they trashed the car. From where I work employees have to park underground and the lot becomes unguarded at night (night shift worker lol). So at the moment I can't bring the miata to work constantly.

So I think "twiztog43 is spot on with a 2 way alarm. Will discourage the non-pro. Now 'Hyper" that steering wheel lock is awesome but I can't find one app for my motolita steering wheel combo, there is a quick release I can buy thru lifeline but they have nothing similar to that NRG lock you posted.