PDA

View Full Version : 97 - Wiring headlights through ignition

ssstuckey
04-02-2014, 08:34 AM
Ok, so I had been driving a "fancy new car" lately where the lights turn on and off automatically. Now that I've got a miata, I'm intelligent enough to turn them on every time I get in, but apparently not intelligent enough to turn them off when I get out. So, I says to myself, in what case would I personally ever need the lights on when I don't have a key in the ignition!?!? Lets wire em through that! Specifically, I'd like the running lights on at all times. I can see the headlights up and can remember that, but I want a minimum of the running lights.

I would very much appreciate either being talked down from the ledge, or guidance from someone who has undergone this same treatment. Honestly, I haven't even looked under the dash and I don't have my manual yet (hurry up amazon!), so I have no idea what level of pain this is going to be.

Thx!

Martin
04-02-2014, 08:49 AM
Easiest thing to do would be to install a DRL module, like the Canadian cars use

http://parts.arlingtonmazda.com/products/UNIT%2CCONT.%252dRUNNING-L-%28NA07%252d67%252d750A%29.html

kung fu jesus
04-02-2014, 11:03 AM
A lot of German cars come like that from the factory. If I leave the lights on in my '88, the headlights turn off with the ignition. The marker lights stay on.

You would probably want to study the wiring harness for your car. Rather than the stock relay wired for hot, you would want to find that wire and make it switched off the ignition lead.

There was also a fix I found (can't remember the specifics thought), involved wiring a two-lead 12v buzzer into the fuse block in the cabin. One wire went in one particular fuse holder the other in another. If I switched off the car and the lights were on, the buzzer sounded.

ssstuckey
04-02-2014, 12:47 PM
Martin- Despite my wonky title, that fits the bill perfectly! Thanks!!

Martin
04-02-2014, 12:57 PM
I grew up in Sioux City so I speak Iowan :lol: