PDA

View Full Version : What are my exhaust options for 99 miata?

alexey
04-08-2014, 11:24 AM
Hey guys. I'm looking into updating my exhaust system on my 99, but I'm on budget. I ll be picking up used obx header this weakend. What are cheap options I have for midpipe and muffler. I was thinking about muffler shop custom, catless midpipe and oem mazdaspeed muffler. Any sugestions? I dont want the car to be loud as hell, just want to get mone pwr out of it and a little better deep sound, while staing as cheap as possible. Thank you for any input.

atank
04-08-2014, 11:46 AM
The MSM muffler and the catless midpipe will be a nice sound!!!!!!!! That would be a good modest $$ system! A fellow member here runs a MSM muffler, hit him up his user is "tsingson"

tsingson
04-08-2014, 11:49 AM
Thanks Anthony! I have the MSM rear section on mine with an 01 Manifold. This is the second NB that I have owned that had the same setup. I love the sound of it which is why I went with it the second go around.

Check out my build thread at the bottom of my post for more information and PM me if you have any questions.

alexey
04-08-2014, 12:13 PM
The MSM muffler and the catless midpipe will be a nice sound!!!!!!!! That would be a good modest $$ system! A fellow member here runs a MSM muffler, hit him up his user is "tsingson"

thank you for replying. That exactly what I wanted to hear))

alexey
04-08-2014, 12:16 PM
Thanks Anthony! I have the MSM rear section on mine with an 01 Manifold. This is the second NB that I have owned that had the same setup. I love the sound of it which is why I went with it the second go around.

Check out my build thread at the bottom of my post for more information and PM me if you have any questions.

Thank you. I'll read your thread first before I ask any questions ha ha.

kung fu jesus
04-08-2014, 01:27 PM
I removed the Cali header/cat off my '99 , used the freer flowing '01 OEM header and a custom 2.25 midpipe and cat made at a local exhaust shop. The'01 mani and heat shield were about 100, the custom mid and new cat was about $200-225. I already had a racing beat rear section. It really uncorked the engine a lot. Definitely worth it.

alexey
04-08-2014, 01:35 PM
I have an option of used obx header 130$, ebay hight flow cat (or no cat at all) muffler shop midpipe 150$ and 60$ mazdaspeed oem muffler. 350$ all together. Still not sure if I should put a resonator, or just make a straight pipe from header to muffler. Don't want to sound like beat up honda civic

wannafbody
04-08-2014, 07:00 PM
I have a racing beat header, custome sized test pipe and Bosal Spec Miata exhaust on my 1.8 swap, it's loud, I tamed it down with a Supertrapp endcap.

alexey
04-15-2014, 11:10 AM
Bought msm muffler yesterday, so far I like the sound. Same as stock at idle, but way deeper and a little louder under acceleration. Still have a stock header and pipes on the car. Will be installing obx header later this weak, and It should make the muffler a bit louder. So far, very happy with the result. Paid 130$ for obx header and 60$ for muffler. What are my midpipe options? Rs3 seem to be the best but, it is expensive, any other options?

alexey
04-24-2014, 05:18 PM
Installed my obx header on the car, but now I have an exhaust leak between header and midpipe. Which gasket should I buy? And what are the best ways to seel it properly?

alexey
05-15-2014, 07:55 PM
After installing, obx header, OEM mazdaspeed muffler, and getting rid of all exhaust leaks, I was pretty happy with the noize my miata makes. However, whoever was getting in the car were telling me that the car sounded just a little better than stock. Yesterday, I instalked 2.5 inch piping DIY CAI, and WOW, the car changed totally, I absolutelly love the sound it makes. Sound almoust as stock on Idle and if you rev it, a little louder than stock under acceleration, before 4k rpm, after 4k, here is where fun begins, the car opens up, and get lound and really deep exhaust note. The only thing I can compare it with, is my friends honda s2000, makes the same noize after vtec kicks in. Spend 1.5 hours gunning it through first 3 gears lol
Super happy with the result, never thought tha intake will make so much of a difference in exhaust sound, will recomend this set up to anyone who wants, cheap, nice sounding exhaust set up.