PDA

View Full Version : 25AE Miata has a secret under its hood

MRnewsBot
04-18-2014, 10:00 AM
Mazda’s new 25th Anniversary Miata has a secret under its hood

The hand-written swan song for the third-gen MX-5.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/cm/roadandtrack/images/aP/IMG_2457-sm.jpg

The next-generation MX-5 is still in gestation, but Mazda has arrived at the New York Auto Show with a special 2015 Miata 25th Anniversary Edition to whet our open-top appetite.

Options-wise, this limited-run roadster is similar in spec to its Club-model sibling. This means it has gunmetal 17-inch wheels wrapped in 205/45 Bridgestone Potenza RE050A rubber. A folding hardtop is standard, and the sole option is between an automatic or manual gearbox, both six-speeds, the latter of which comes with Bilstien dampers. The 2015 Miata 25th AE is the only production car to wear Mazda’s Soul Red metallic paint, which has thus far been reserved for show vehicles. It looks damn good on the show stand, but as it turns out, the real treasure is hidden underneath the hood.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/cm/roadandtrack/images/5a/IMG_2462-sm.jpg

A company spokesperson confirmed to us that the 25th AE Miata’s 2.0-liter MZR engine is a blueprinted unit, built with internal components hand-selected by engineers. While Mazda isn’t divulging the exact tolerances, we’re led to believe variance across the MZR’s four pistons may be as little as thousandths of a gram. With a production run of roughly 1000 cars (100 for the US and 100 for Canada, with the remainder headed to European markets), a rep from motorsports says full-on bespoke motor assembly wasn’t feasible, but that “some of the engine” has been hand-built.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/cm/roadandtrack/images/xe/IMG_2471-sm.jpg

As a final touch, Mazda told us that all 25th AE Miatas will be built-to-order when online pre-orders begin later this spring.

“If there are 99 orders with an automatic transmission and 1 with a manual gearbox, we’ll build 99 autos and 1 manual,” a rep told us.

Nice to know, but we somehow don’t foresee that happening.

source: http://www.roadandtrack.com/nyc/mazda-25th-anniversary-miata?src=spr_FBPAGE&spr_id=1459_53745502

JamieH
04-18-2014, 11:04 AM
It's a shame that even with a limited production run Mazda still gives the option for an automatic. I really hope that not many of the 25AEs are built with an auto.

Having a blueprinted engine should allow for a minor HP increase along with running smoother. I'm guessing it's the assembly of only the bottom end that'll be hand built.

kung fu jesus
04-18-2014, 12:22 PM
The PRHT ruins it for me.

Andy
04-18-2014, 12:46 PM
The red color ruins it for me. I am very anti red except maybe for a vintage Ferrari, but even then I would not be that happy.

I thinks a mazda white, blue or brg should be where it's at.
If the most common color for a miata is red shouldn't the limited run 25th anniversary not be red?

WASABI
04-18-2014, 01:16 PM
The red color ruins it for me...
If the most common color for a miata is red shouldn't the limited run 25th anniversary not be red?

Or is it an homage to the Miata in the most popular color... red!?

shane
04-18-2014, 01:18 PM
Why isn't it blue :(

Demon I Am
04-18-2014, 01:23 PM
It's a red that Mazda has never used on a production vehicle. I'd call that kind of rare.

theothersawyer
04-18-2014, 01:24 PM
Yeah! Red sucks! :p

Unk577
04-18-2014, 02:31 PM
It's a let down. The PRHT severely limits the car for track enthusiast. I agree, red really does suck. It should of been blue. Putting the Recaro seats in it would have been a nice thing for mazda to do, especially for the countries where they aren't an option. A different set of wheels would have been nice also.
Basically you're paying a premium for a Club with leather and a new color option. No thanks

Grumpy
04-18-2014, 04:37 PM
It's a red that Mazda has never used on a production vehicle. I'd call that kind of rare.

I think they mean never used on a production version of the MX5. My 2014 3s GT hatchback is soul red.

kung fu jesus
04-19-2014, 12:46 PM
Im sure some goober will buy one, squirrel it away in their garage, wiping it with diapers for the next 20 years. It will accumulate 2k miles where it will be offered for $50k and smell like old people.

Dmn2258
04-20-2014, 12:18 AM
should have been white with red interior.....