PDA

View Full Version : Please help! major ground problem!

mastergrimm
04-20-2014, 10:20 PM
ok so I have a 92 miata. I have had a ground issue for a couple months now. it started with moving the battery to another spot in the trunk. I messed up and It wouldnt crank after that. so I have been push starting it for a while.

today I took the battery and moved it to were the winsheild wiper fluid box used to be. I shortened both cables. hoping it would finally crank over. or at least the gauges would stop twiching. so I bought new terminals and proped the car up so I could follow the cable and shorten it.

after doing so It seemed fine no more twitching gauges, but then I drove to auto zone and the gueges started flipping out again, but alittle worse than before. as I drove home the engine started to sound alittle off.

so I kept driving alittle to see if it got worse. it did. the guages went from the bottom to the top on and off, then when I out my foot on the gas nothing. no response but I take my foot off and it would go and idle.

so I crawled home and on the way when I tried to give it some gas I heard an electrical noise from somewere behind the cluster. almost like a sparking noise but not that. maybe a relay? if ou have any idea what my stupid ass messed up please lend a hand. any help would be greatly appreciated! thank you!

psulja
04-20-2014, 10:54 PM
is it doing something like this?

http://youtu.be/yad9kaIfCh8

The issue in that video was the ground terminal shorting out because the battery was moving. Is your battery securely tied down and did you make there there wasn't any exposed wiring anywhere that could be grounding out the car?

mastergrimm
04-21-2014, 02:34 PM
ok so the battery isn't secured down but it doesn't move, Im making a way to secure it. on the ground cable there is a section were the wire is exposed, but the wire is secure and only about 8' long. the car in that video is pretty close to how mine is acting, except I cant even get down the road. I'm uploading a video onto youtube of my car right now so you can get a better idea of the issue.

here is the video,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o05Z8_kKuOk&feature=youtu.be