PDA

View Full Version : What pressure washer should I get?

Agent☣Orange
04-27-2014, 12:15 PM
More and more, I realize I'm in need of a pressure washer. I need to wash off a mild case of mold on exterior walls, hardened dust on high up windows, mud dauber nests and cobwebs along with a couple of oil stains and harder mold on the driveway. I would also like to be able to wash cars, parts, engine bays, calipers and wheel insides.

I see pressure washers from $150 electric 1700psi to $400 gas powered 3800psi version but I don't know how much washer I actually need for the tasks listed above. I'm not even sure if successful cleaning is more due to the pre-treatment chemicals more than the pressure.

I don't think I need 3800psi nor the cost and size of a machine that big but I don't know if the electric, 1700psi is a joke. I want the power to get rid of tough mold on the driveway but don't want enough pressure to blast the paint off my car.

What do you guys think? Any other important features I currently don't know what to look for?

kung fu jesus
04-27-2014, 12:54 PM
I'm sure someone knows light years ahead of me about these, but this is my experience...

I had one of the Karcher self-contained PW from Lowes or HD. It was electric, had decent wand options, plastic, and a detergent reservoir. I handled about 80-90% of the jobs I needed it for. The only drawback was the range and power. I had a two-story house that, like you, I needed to wash the siding. I could get to the first floor, but the second floor - no way. I had to get close to the side to really do damage on the mold, practically on top of it. Same for cleaning the red clay/mud staining the concrete around the house. It worked, it just didn't have the power to do it quickly.

I was also a little concerned about using an electrical high-current machine...with water... that sprays everywhere.

My buddy here bought a gas-powered unit from HD. It was a floor model, so he got a really great price on it. Honda motor, lots of nozzles, etc. He has a brick home with lots of shade, so there is moss or mildew growing on those shaded areas up high. This thing had enough kick to use one of the supplied nozzles while standing on the ground to blast it off the eaves near the roof. Used a different nozzle and powerwashed his deck in no time flat. I soooo want to remove the carpet from my e30 and go use his PW on it.

I don't like using power washers on cars except maybe to clean undercarriages or greasy parts. Never on the paint, unless something stupid happened. like I drove through tar or fresh street paint.

If I ever buy another, I would certainly look at a gas-powered one. I think more PSI is beneficial, especially if you can alter it with the nozzles, attachements or valving.

Agent☣Orange
04-28-2014, 08:37 AM
Thanks for the thorough response KFJ. It didn't occur to me I'd have to drag around an extension cord with the electric version.

kung fu jesus
04-28-2014, 11:35 AM
Re-read. Just wanted to be clear... Range and power, I had to get on a 12' ladder to really use the PW on the house above the first story. Even then, I sprayed the upper parts with cleaner, used a broom in a half-assed attempt to loosen the mold, then sprayed it off. Sort of hilarious and disappointing at the same time. On the garage, I got the PW too close to the painted eaves and blasted big chunks of paint off, which I had to go back and repaint.

There are some nuanced techniques with a PW, but a higher PSI can give you a better range without having to stand precariously on ladders and such. :)

Agent☣Orange
04-28-2014, 09:21 PM
I think you have me convinced to just go ahead with the higher psi, gas-powered washer here:

http://www.craftsman.com/craftsman-3000-psi-gas-pressure-washer-w-quiet/p-07175488000P?prdNo=4&blockNo=4&blockType=G4

I like this one because of its high psi and gpm flow rate. Also, if you let go of the trigger, it deccelerates the motor. It comes with a 5-in-1 head so I wouldn't have to change tips. Not included but available is a 50ft high pressure hose and long wand extension so theoretically, I'd be able to leave the machine in one area and just walk along with the long hose and with the wand extension, I won't need a ladder.

I only have a single story house but cathedral cielings and high roof line. Spiders and mud daubers have made a mess of the high entry way. The garden hose didn't do a thing except bunch all the webs together into a thicker mess that won't come down. Looks like the entrance of a haunted house. The driveway is a moldy mess.

As for car work, I'd really like to be able to blast clean the wheel barrels, calipers and motor but probably not the exterior paint. I used to do Miata carpets clipped to the wall of the local car wash and they came out like new, even the tan ones. I'd like to do that at home now. It's amazing how much dirt comes out of even black carpeting.

wannafbody
04-30-2014, 10:42 PM
Always err on the side of overkill if you can afford it.