PDA

View Full Version : New Here...Looking to Buy a Miata

shb5007
05-01-2014, 11:42 AM
Quick post...hope this is the right spot...PLEASE HELP!

Quick background...I currently own a 2004 SVT Focus as my daily driver, but it is about to blow up (might be running on 2 cylinders still...) and I am looking for a fun daily driver...thinking about a Gen 3 Miata.

I have a background in sports cars and a little racing...various Focus and Mustangs...also own a 2003 Cobra that I open track and autocross.

I am thinking about looking at a 2009 MX-5 Sport (is this a real edition?) at a dealer tonight...right around 50,000 miles and right around $15,000. Is this normal pricing?

I just need some quick tips...is there anything specific I need to check out? Anything I shoulder expect? Should I look at a different year (other than 2009)?

Here is the link: http://www.tysinger.com/used-Hampton...NC25F790204166

I am just starting my professional career and need a car that will last me around 5 years...will this car do the trick? How is the overall maintenance? I take good care of my cars...

Sorry for the short and choppy 1st post...I am at work right now and I am trying not to get in trouble...I am also a little stressed (as you can imagine).

PLEASE HELP!

atank
05-01-2014, 11:59 AM
The 2009 Mazda MX-5 Miata was available in four trim levels: SV, Sport, Touring and Grand Touring. The SV is the least expensive Miata, including a 5-speed manual transmission, 16-inch wheels, power windows and mirrors, and a CD player. For 2009, an auxiliary input jack is standard, too. The Miata Sport adds a leather-wrapped steering wheel and air conditioning. Touring models include fog lights; cruise control; remote keyless entry; CD changer; audio and cruise control buttons on the steering wheel; 6-speed manual transmission with a leather-wrapped shift knob; and larger 17-inch wheels. An auto-dimming mirror with HomeLink, trip computer and premium interior finishes are now standard on the Touring for 2009.

These cars last for a good long time with regular maintenance, 50k is not even broken in well.

http://i.imgur.com/x1m7Nqc.jpg

Phatmiata
05-01-2014, 12:08 PM
welcome to the site!! where are you from? The prices here local in Florida seem to be cheaper than that.

shb5007
05-01-2014, 12:37 PM
I am in Virginia.

The price does seem high (at least $2k)...I figured this was because of this time of year (after cold winter).

I am working up a price to offer...we will negotiate.

I found a checklist online of things to look through / for.

So is it 60,000 miles for the timing belt? How much is a replacement on this usually?

Thanks for the help!!

kung fu jesus
05-01-2014, 07:49 PM
If it is sold by a Mazda dealer, ask for maintenance records. '09 + is the NC to buy because of the mechanical improvements and styling refresh. Lack of maintenance records is a bargaining chip, and I would still have it inspected by a third party.

$15k is high. 12-13k seems about right.

VA can be an odd place to buy a used car because of its proximity to the rust belt. Personally, I won't buy a car that was registered anywhere that has harsh winters were the roads are salted for months at a time. It ALWAYS makes future repairs a true PITA.

3MiataFamily
05-03-2014, 06:23 PM
The NC does not have a timing belt...it is a chain...

Getting a NC is pretty much like any late model used car...the NC is a great car...but the NA is a better Miata...you have to be around these cars a LOT to understand that...

wannafbody
05-03-2014, 06:56 PM
The NC is for posers pretending to be Miata enthusiasts:teehee: