PDA

View Full Version : Front subframes: NA vs NB vs V8 Roadster

The Driver
05-02-2014, 12:56 PM
Confession time: Last week, while driving like a hooligan, I hit a patch of residual magnesium chloride aka "salt". I lost control of the Miata, and hit a curb after regaining control, but over correcting.

The car is currently sitting at the best Miata shop in a 600+ mile radious. Right now they don't know if the front subframe is damaged. If it is, which of the three (and only those three options) would you consider, and why?

Andy
05-02-2014, 01:07 PM
Well the v8 would be the lightest and probably the most expensive.

MX5RACER
05-02-2014, 01:27 PM
If you go with the NB subframe, you will need a NB rack as well.

The Driver
05-02-2014, 01:34 PM
If you go with the NB subframe, you will need a NB rack as well.

Would there be any advantages to doing this? Meaning going with both the NB subframe & NB steering rack? Would I have to go with NB control arms?

Phatmiata
05-02-2014, 02:35 PM
Do the V8Roadsters subframe, its lighter than stock.

The Driver
05-02-2014, 02:47 PM
Do the V8Roadsters subframe, its lighter than stock.

It's also 8 times more expensive... You don't pay me enough, I'm still waiting for my 2012 performance bonus...

I may go with it, but I'll consider all the options!

Phatmiata
05-02-2014, 03:25 PM
It's also 8 times more expensive... You don't pay me enough, I'm still waiting for my 2012 performance bonus...

I may go with it, but I'll consider all the options!

sorry, atank beat you on the performance bonus :teehee: But I sent you a free MR 4th Gen Mystery T-Shirt as a consolation prize !! And you got the first batch of stickers ever produced!!! uber rare JDM fresh version type1 :bow: worth mad loot!! sell them quick while the market is high!!

Pfunk
05-02-2014, 03:38 PM
If you're going to go through the trouble of replacing, upgrade, I always say. The V8R plus, say, the Kiesler drop spindles, would be tasty...

The Driver
05-02-2014, 03:51 PM
If you're going to go through the trouble of replacing, upgrade, I always say. The V8R plus, say, the Kiesler drop spindles, would be tasty...

Yeah, that's not happening. Let's just say I'm not one of those guys who spends his entire paycheck in just one bucket, even if that bucket is my Miata.

John J
05-02-2014, 05:35 PM
I do not believe that you will need the front subframe. New control arms may be needed. A V8R control arm upgrade would make sense if they are required to repair the damage even if you required a front subframe replacement.

The Driver
05-02-2014, 05:38 PM
I do not believe that you will need the front subframe. New control arms may be needed. A V8R control arm upgrade would make sense if they are required to repair the damage even if you required a front subframe replacement.

The controll arms will be replaced next week along with ball joints and other parts (the coilover is another strong candidate for replacement). Then it goes to the aligment rack. If the car can't be aligned, y'all may be getting a call from me.

Pfunk
05-02-2014, 07:41 PM
Yeah, that's not happening. Let's just say I'm not one of those guys who spends his entire paycheck in just one bucket, even if that bucket is my Miata.

This is why we have multiple paychecks. ;)

miata2fast
05-02-2014, 11:04 PM
The room you get from the V8R subframe! It makes life much easier when creating exotic exhaust arrangements.

The Driver
05-02-2014, 11:51 PM
The room you get from the V8R subframe! It makes life much easier when creating exotic exhaust arrangements.

And that sounds nice, but it also make more room in my pockets, cause they'll be empty.

Pfunk
05-03-2014, 12:14 AM
Sooo... even less curb weight! ;)

Pfunk
05-03-2014, 12:15 AM
"With all these upgrades, I can't afford much more than lettuce and crackers, but my lap times are off the hook!"

John J
05-03-2014, 11:27 AM
If you check the V8R subframe out at Flyin Miata then I believe you will find that it saves 12 lbs. over the stock subframe weight. It does indeed provide a lot of options for using forced induction and exhaust options.

Satisaii
05-03-2014, 11:37 AM
We use the NB stuff in our race cars for the better suspension geometry. The V8R kit gets more camber adjustment. The drop spindles will help with bump steer if you are running a real low ride height.

We do have a complete (front and rear) early production version of the V8R kit that we are selling at our quarterly swap meets... I don't know what shipping would be like on it, or if we would even consider selling it other than at a swap meet.

The Driver
05-03-2014, 04:58 PM
We use the NB stuff in our race cars for the better suspension geometry. The V8R kit gets more camber adjustment. The drop spindles will help with bump steer if you are running a real low ride height.

We do have a complete (front and rear) early production version of the V8R kit that we are selling at our quarterly swap meets... I don't know what shipping would be like on it, or if we would even consider selling it other than at a swap meet.

About the NB subframe, besides the NB steering rack, will I need the NB control arms?

Satisaii
05-03-2014, 11:29 PM
You don't have to, but the NB ones are slightly better than the NA. I would not mix and match on parts... If you are going to do 1 lower control arm, do both. I think the NB spindles and tie rod ends are where you get the biggest gain in reduced bump steer. The NB lowers will be a bit stiffer and heavier. The really late NB uppers have an extra plate welded on them, but prior to that I don't think there is any difference.

The Driver
05-04-2014, 04:56 AM
You don't have to, but the NB ones are slightly better than the NA. I would not mix and match on parts... If you are going to do 1 lower control arm, do both. I think the NB spindles and tie rod ends are where you get the biggest gain in reduced bump steer. The NB lowers will be a bit stiffer and heavier. The really late NB uppers have an extra plate welded on them, but prior to that I don't think there is any difference.

This is some good info, thanks!

Phatmiata
05-08-2014, 09:47 PM
any updates on the Miata?

Oh and looky what is in my garage now :whistle: It's calling your name.......... :blaugh2:

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/09/apaqequs.jpg

The Driver
05-09-2014, 10:25 AM
any updates on the Miata?

Oh and looky what is in my garage now :whistle: It's calling your name.......... :blaugh2:

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/09/apaqequs.jpg

The new coilover has yet to arrive (and frankly the rims from Goodwin won't arrive until today or tomorrow), so the car has not been put on the alignment rack yet.

So no updates.

So is that pic representing my bonus pay?

Phatmiata
05-09-2014, 12:01 PM
hahahhaha, actually its currently renting space in my garage until Tim comes over to pick it up.

I just picked it up from Garage 102 last night where it has been sitting in a corner for the past 6 months :fp:

The Driver
05-09-2014, 12:49 PM
hahahhaha, actually its currently renting space in my garage until Tim comes over to pick it up.

I just picked it up from Garage 102 last night where it has been sitting in a corner for the past 6 months :fp:

I told him to call me last weekend, but he didn't. Oh well!

Phatmiata
05-09-2014, 01:45 PM
I told him to call me last weekend, but he didn't. Oh well!

He works weird hours now, hard to reach him unless you call after 9PM

The Driver
05-09-2014, 02:47 PM
He works weird hours now, hard to reach him unless you call after 9PM

Oh that's easy! That's 7 PM here!:wink:

The Driver
05-28-2014, 12:13 PM
Well it's done (or not done). The car was aligned, and the subframe was not damaged, so it won't be replaced. I still may replace it at later day, but more than likely I'll go with the NB set up, as opposed to the aftermarket stuff.

Guess y'all could say I'm a fiscally responsible individual.

MX5RACER
07-07-2014, 08:32 AM
Would there be any advantages to doing this? Meaning going with both the NB subframe & NB steering rack? Would I have to go with NB control arms?

Sorry for the delay in updating this. The NB subframes have different pick-up points for the control arms, but the control arms are the same other than the sway bar mounting tabs. The NB subframes have better geometry and better camber curves due to the pick-up points for the control arms being moved.

The Driver
07-07-2014, 09:43 AM
Sorry for the delay in updating this. The NB subframes have different pick-up points for the control arms, but the control arms are the same other than the sway bar mounting tabs. The NB subframes have better geometry and better camber curves due to the pick-up points for the control arms being moved.

All good, I'm forecasting on doing this in the summer of 2015!