PDA

View Full Version : Converting my 92 to power windows?

Andy
05-12-2014, 07:12 PM
I know that the topic of converting a na8 to power windows has been covered pretty well. I would need the switch and both regulators. Sadly I have a na6 that does not appear to be in any way wired for power windows yet. I want to do this as oem as possible so the wolf kit is out of the question. What I want to know is what do I need?

Do I need the dash harness?
I know I need to door harnesses, regulators, and power window switch.
does the dash need to be pulled?

I know this is going to be rather extensive but I am up for it.

BoBo
05-12-2014, 09:25 PM
I'm looking to do this in the future as well. I think you have everything covered. Harness, regulators, and switches. Since my doors are full of dings, I will just buy two power doors in the future.

kung fu jesus
05-13-2014, 08:12 AM
I don't know, first hand, but if you want an OE install I would start by looking at the factory wiring diagrams. It should tell you where to look for the wire connectors and what the circuit is comprised of. This way, you can see if your car has the basics already installed in your wiring harness. If it is, you will know what to look for when buying the pieces you need and where to plug it in. A lot of times the standard wiring harness will come with all sorts of plugs/connectors already on it, then options like PW are easily connected to it at the factory. That is what I would look for.

Another option would be to remove the door card and see if there is a wiring harness already in the door for them. They are pretty thick wires, so you would be looking for an unconnected plug inside the door. '92s didn't have a power mirror or power door lock option, so the only other wires in there would be for the speakers. If it isn't in there, running the wires through the door-to-body grommet will be a bit fiddly, as space is cramped.

I would also look your door sheet metal, behind the card, and compare it to one with power windows to make sure all the bolting/connection points are there to install the window motors and accouterments.

Andy
05-13-2014, 02:55 PM
Kung Fu. My car did not even come from the factory with a radio. I verified that there is no pigtail to connect the power window switch in the radio cubby area or under the center console.

kung fu jesus
05-13-2014, 05:11 PM
Wow!

It shouldn't be too difficult of a circuit to make. If you don't have those options, and you want a REALLY clean install, you could make a new circuit off the fuse panel. Like I mentioned, the window motor wires are pretty high current, almost like the ignition wires on the steering column. Fusible link, relays, OEM switches and motors. I think REv may have a diagram of the OE switch polarity.

Andy
05-13-2014, 08:31 PM
Kung Fu I think that is going to be more work than it is worth. I have been asking around and calling some people and so far it seems like the best easiest alternative would be to yank out the dash and replace the dash harness that goes to the ecu with one that is for a 1.6 with power window connections and then add on the power window connection for each door to it. Ill keep everyone posted.

revlimiter
05-13-2014, 08:53 PM
The dash isn't very hard to pull. I'm not trying to sound cool when I say it's an hour of work. It really is very simple.

Putting it back in... that takes a bit longer. But really not much. It's a morning project. Swapping the harness might take an hour or more as well. Certainly all of this could be done in a Saturday.

Andy
05-13-2014, 09:23 PM
Well thanks for raising my spirits Adam. If I get into a snag which I will and the miata.net guide can not help I guess you are my life line.

I just got a new to me dslr so I will be extensively documenting the entire process for everyone's benefit although I think I am the first person to want to do this and probably the last.

ssstuckey
05-13-2014, 09:33 PM
I think I am the first person to want to do this
Probably not the first to *want* to, but maybe the first with the gumption to give it a shot :)

and probably the last.
...well that depends on how tough it turns out to be and how bad you make it look/sound ;).

My 97 wants power windows soooo bad but this owner barely has time to keep the dang thing washed. If you have success you'll give me hope that I can find a few spare moments to do mine (which is reportedly pretty easy). I'm so sick of having to lean across the console to roll down that pesky passenger window.

Andy
05-13-2014, 09:54 PM
You have it easy in comparison.

If all goes well revlimiter will be a slightly richer man as I am doing primarily so I can run how power window switches. They are just so pretty and long to be in my car.

Andy
05-21-2014, 10:18 PM
Does anyone know if the dash harness on a 1.6 and a 1.8 are the same? I am having a tough time figuring it out.

Edit: 1.6 and obd1 1.8.

Andy
05-21-2014, 11:01 PM
Could a miata guru help me figure out if this harness has all the connections for power windows?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191123977702?item=191123977702&viewitem=&vxp=mtr

Andy
05-22-2014, 05:33 PM
Well after some extensive research I have some bad news. The necessary harnesses are not connected to the dash harness, rather they are connected to the engine/ chassis harness. I really do not want to replace those so it looks like I will have to just get all the connectors I need and a wire it myself.

kung fu jesus
05-22-2014, 09:10 PM
Document a DIY, take some pics and I'll sticky that SOB for ya.

Andy
05-22-2014, 09:25 PM
Will do.

WASABI
05-22-2014, 09:30 PM
Will do.

I look forward to this!!! Good luck with this install.

Andy
04-14-2015, 09:38 PM
Well this idea has bounced around my head for long enough. It is time to bring it to fruition. I currently have both regulators and the switch from a 94 that was parted out. Now I am waiting on the connectors that I bought from a different part out car and some 14 gauge wiring from amazon. Ill take photos every step of the way. This should be fun. The only thing I don't know what to do about is the gaping hole that will be in my door panel for the window crank. I don't want to replace my door panels yet because what I ultimately want won't be cheap and I don't want to throw away money. So I need to fabricate a temporary solution.

Phatmiata
04-14-2015, 09:56 PM
you should not need any extra wiring, the Miatas came prewired for power windows, the connectors are either zip tied to the the inside of the door, or under the dash near the door. Its been 10+ years since I did this swap but on my 96 all the wires were there, it was all plug an play, and mine started off as a non-power base model.

Andy
04-14-2015, 10:03 PM
While that is true for 94+ that is not true for my 92. There is absolutely no wiring in place for power windows. In fact my car didn't even have a radio when we bought it. It had a blanking plate. I had to dig behind the fusebox under the dash to find the pigtail that would have the connectors for both the speakers and power windows and only the wires for speakers were present. I can tell you with 100% certainty that my car is not wired for power windows or else this project would have been done many many years ago.

Phatmiata
04-14-2015, 10:16 PM
nevermind me then, like I said it was 10+ years ago when I did the power windows upgrade. carry on

Andy
04-14-2015, 10:17 PM
No worries. It should be a fun project with some other goodies I plan on doing.