PDA

View Full Version : Center console options: someone done took a screw driver to mine!

RuckkehrMiata
05-20-2014, 09:04 AM
So long story short, I don't lock my driver side door for a few bad reasons:

1. My lock is very tight, and bends my non-OEM key (haven't gotten another OEM one yet)
2. Soft top, that I really would rather have not knifed
3. I don't keep anything in my car, pretty much ever

However, it seems someone was convinced otherwise. I got in my car to go to work the other day, and the inside reeked of weed. Like, could get a contact high by putting your face in the back of the seat.
Also, my key no longer works in my center console armrest box thing.

I have a friend who is going to help me get it open with his locksmith skills, but post-mortem what are my options?

I have another center console in my shed, but it is in rough shape and the key wouldn't match. Can you even get these tumblers replaced? Would I just never be able to lock it ever again?

I was already considering one of the several center-console delete options, but am not entirely ready for the extra foot work needed for my car (don't want to lose cup holder, and I have electric windows + a few toggle switches in the center console box)

Any brainstorming would be appreciated from you brilliant and creative guys :D

Andy
05-20-2014, 09:17 AM
Have you tried squirting wd40 on all of your lock tumblers? It worked wonders for my car and now all of my lock magically work like new.

edit: wait did they take a screwdriver to your center console lock?

RuckkehrMiata
05-20-2014, 09:22 AM
Have you tried squirting wd40 on all of your lock tumblers? It worked wonders for my car and now all of my lock magically work like new.

edit: wait did they take a screwdriver to your center console lock?

I am under this impression that someone tried to open the lock in the arm rest center console.
It worked as early as when I installed my rollbar (~3 weeks ago) and suddenly not as of the day I smelled heavy pot lingering in my car.

It always moved very freely for me and worked great, not I can't get it to turn at all.

jnshk
05-21-2014, 11:01 PM
Suggestion: drill/cut (carefully) a hole into the console lid. You should be able to relatively inexpensively replace just the lid, but getting access through there will allow you to remove the console and get a better look at the lock cylinder and any other potential damage done to the console. If you're fortunate, the lock cylinder can be repaired and then you won't have to hassle with trying to find a replacement that works with your key (or having to carry multiple keys).

RuckkehrMiata
05-22-2014, 08:14 AM
Suggestion: drill/cut (carefully) a hole into the console lid. You should be able to relatively inexpensively replace just the lid, but getting access through there will allow you to remove the console and get a better look at the lock cylinder and any other potential damage done to the console. If you're fortunate, the lock cylinder can be repaired and then you won't have to hassle with trying to find a replacement that works with your key (or having to carry multiple keys).

The other day I actually got it to pop open without damaging anything. The lock is still engaged and jammed, but I was at the gas station on dead empty and *had* to get my fuel lid open. So I kinda wedged and twisted the armrest until the little pin came out of its slot in the rest and it came open without snapping/breaking/bending too much. Why couldn't the wannabe thieves have just done this?

I have to investigate what I am going to do now, I would like to repair it back to functionality. I might buy some graphite and see if that might help, it *might* still just be a mechanical failure.

In the mean time, I am still designing my center console delete :3

kung fu jesus
05-22-2014, 04:57 PM
Well, I am going to offer two solutions.

Rebuild the tumblers an install a new-used center console from PlanetMiata. Graphite is the right way to go. WD40 will attract dirt.

The other is to look at the carpeted center consoles from Garage Star. Very similar to the Nakamae centers with the cubby delete.

RuckkehrMiata
05-22-2014, 07:09 PM
Well, I am going to offer two solutions.

Rebuild the tumblers an install a new-used center console from PlanetMiata. Graphite is the right way to go. WD40 will attract dirt.

The other is to look at the carpeted center consoles from Garage Star. Very similar to the Nakamae centers with the cubby delete.

You basically summed up the two ideas I had. I want to restore the current center console either way, but I think more garage star purchases are in my future. Had already been planning my switch relocations and talking to adam from revlimiter about which high-end switches he uses. My friend is fairly skilled at locks in general, but I don't know if you can rebuild these tumblers.

kung fu jesus
05-23-2014, 09:53 PM
I don't know if the lock can be rebuilt either. I rebuilt the cylinder for the driver's door on my e30. It was actually pretty easy, just a lot of small parts. It wasn't that expensive either.

RuckkehrMiata
05-23-2014, 10:06 PM
I don't know if the lock can be rebuilt either. I rebuilt the cylinder for the driver's door on my e30. It was actually pretty easy, just a lot of small parts. It wasn't that expensive either.

I have rebuilt locks before, but they were ones that are designed to be "rekeyed" :\

kung fu jesus
05-23-2014, 10:21 PM
The lock kit on my E30 came with everything. When I disassembled the old one, I just had to write down the numbers stamped on the old tumblers sequetially and assemble the new ones in the same order. Tons of tumblers came with the kit, tumbler springs, cylinder cap and a revised detented stay and arm. A little tube of grease also. Maybe took me 30-45 minutes. The instructions were in German, but I was able to recognize enough to get the context.

Demon I Am
05-24-2014, 07:27 AM
Take it to a decent locksmith store. they can probably source you a barrel that fits, using the old one for size, and the key for pattern. I had to do this on a few occasions in the hot dog vending business.