PDA

View Full Version : Review: Sway Bars - Flyin Miata versus Racing Beat

Bummer
05-23-2014, 10:11 PM
I recently changed my front sway bar from Flyin' Miata adjustable to the Racing Beat hollow (1.125 Dia. x.125 wall thickness).

I was running the FM bar adjusted to the stiffest setting because I like the instant response. I was reasonably happy, but got an amazing deal on the RB bar, so I jumped on it.

The RB bar not being adjustable is not a big deal, as I have a lot of other adjustments available in my suspension. I haven't bought the mount braces, but I probably should as I run the car on 275 Hoosiers for autocross. The bar is connected with 949 Racing end links.

The car feels very much the same in most situations, but is noticeably flatter from both the driver seat and from outside the car. It is also quicker when compared to some other cars of near equal ability. In most cases the RB bar is a win. There is one down side I had never considered...

In situations where the road drops/banks toward the apex, the inside front tends to lift. The front brake on the inside locks much easier in these situations, and you have to be more careful to keep the car braking straight and balanced. This is not a problem at autocross, but can be on the twisty mountain roads.

Overall, I am satisfied with the change to the RB bar, but I am going to change my brake setup to get more rear bias. My NA6 (now VVT) never had great braking ability, but now it's worse.

Flyin' Miata front bar:

http://i544.photobucket.com/albums/hh356/appalachianmiatas/BKMiB1-1.jpg

Racing Beat front bar:

http://i544.photobucket.com/albums/hh356/appalachianmiatas/10298243_10152513549523140_2239486230911151887_o1_ zpsbabbbfde.jpg

Andy
05-23-2014, 10:15 PM
Thank you.

If you had to rate them which one for a daily did you like better and for autocross which is the superior one in your opinion?

Bummer
05-23-2014, 10:20 PM
Thank you.

If you had to rate them which one for a daily did you like better and for autocross which is the superior one in your opinion?

The Racing Beat is better everywhere but under braking in the situations described. I still have the FM bar, and haven't changed back, if that tells you anything.

Andy
05-23-2014, 10:37 PM
For the sake of the review what suspension are you running? Is it at all possible that to really get more benefit from the racing beat bar stronger spring rates could be used to push down the wheels more and give you better braking and handling characteristics on your xidas? I know Emilio has a golden dream team package that incorporates some fairly aggressive spring rates and the racing bear front bar.

Bummer
05-23-2014, 10:57 PM
Xida (AST) 700/400 with the dual spring. I do imagine the stiff bars keep the secondary spring from actually ever extending the shock except over crests etc, which licf the entire front of the car.

Andy
05-23-2014, 11:00 PM
In your particular scenario I would contact Emilio at 949 and pick his brain. On his website that is their claimed ideal setup.

Bummer
05-24-2014, 06:55 AM
There's really nothing wrong with this setup. It is ideal, except for a certain type of situation. The car is fast. It just takes a new approach to certain types of corners due to the unweighted inside tire. If I had ABS (or more rear bias, as planned) this would be almost a non-issue.

kung fu jesus
05-24-2014, 08:50 AM
If it works for you, good! Lifting an inside front wheel like that indicates too much front bar, not enough rear bar. I hope you run reinforcements on the inboard swaybar mounting points.

Rogue
05-24-2014, 09:39 AM
I hope you run reinforcements on the inboard swaybar mounting points.

True Dat…...He will, eventually with a Big Red!