PDA

View Full Version : car stalls when I put it in gear to move it

JLBMX5
06-14-2014, 01:02 PM
This morning I replaced spark plugs. Wires. O2 sensor. Air filter and fuel filter. The car had alittle hesitation before so I figured time to do a tune up. Well after everything was done I took the car around the block a few times and it choked up and shut off. Had to call my brother who lives with me to come pull my miata home. After letting it sit for awhile and having to hold gas pedal to the floor I finally got it to start again. It idles perfectly. Be when I drive it arond the block its fine in first gear to kinda just make the wheels move but when I give it gas and shift to second and give it more gas it chokes up and stalls out. This doesent happen every single time but I would say 5 times out of 10 it does. I have tried swapping back to old plugs and wires having same issue. Is it possibe I have a bad fuel filter or im allowing air into fuel system and just not leaking fuel. I am lost at what is going on. So im here asking for little help before I start messing around and really screw something up.

EDIT : forgot to mention. This is a manual 1993 miata with a 1994 1.8 I put in last year.

JLBMX5
06-14-2014, 04:58 PM
Ok after an hour I went outside. Took fuel filter off again. This time I purchased new hose and hose clamps because when I took it off this morning I had to cut hose off the filter and kinda stretch the hose to put it back on. Thats all cleaned out. Reprimed the system started car idled for 10 minutes while I put up tools and took a few puffs off my e-cigg. Got in car put it in gear moved two feet and it died again. Started it up and moved another two feet and it died again. So I got to thinking maybe the new o2 is causing a problem. Hell I dont know I can take parts off and put them back on I just dont know what they do. Well when I went to pull the o2 wire soon as I touched it the car died. So I looked around for a few and grabbed those 4 cas wires you have to exyend on a motor swap and one of the connectors were loose. It came apart as soon as I touched it. Got my crimp tool out installed a new but connector. Started car again. Moved it 2 foot and it did not stall. Gave it a few trips around my block. Did not stall. Then I took it out to a road beside my subdivision and gave the miata a swift kick in the ass to see if it would stumble and fall on its face again. It did not it kept asking for more gas so car is all fixed now.

JLBMX5
06-14-2014, 05:01 PM
This morning when I pulled the o2 wire to put on a new one I must of pulled on that cas wire. Thats what I am thinking happened.

fwdtamiya
06-14-2014, 05:38 PM
Glad you figured it out and bandaged it. I hope you realize now that you need to solder important wires. :whistle:

JLBMX5
06-14-2014, 05:55 PM
Cant get in there with a soldering iron wires are right at the main harness

kung fu jesus
06-14-2014, 10:28 PM
Boom!

http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/details/0710574;jsessionid=cv29TdSbTnxx1gl39D3SbMwP1wvLDhT LvGxMbx00TM3GNc3QgZZh!133282077!1063195835?isPunch out=false

kung fu jesus
06-14-2014, 10:57 PM
James, those connectors linked above are crimp connectors you also heat. The heat melts the solder inside plus seals the ends. $1.38 may seem a little steep for each one, but these are the strongest, most assured way I know to reconnect spliced wires in your situation. It is excellent.

kung fu jesus
06-14-2014, 11:03 PM
Another way would be to feed new lengths of wire through the firewall if the stockers are too short. Find the pinout diagram for the CAS and their corresponding terminations, splice in the newer, longer wires with solder and shrink tube, wrap, tuck into the factory harness.