View Full Version : Custom gauge glass

vote4pedro
06-19-2014, 11:35 AM
I have some gauge rings that came with plastic lenses for them. I'm thinking that the plastic might get scratched from cleaning, change color due to excessive heat/age, etc.
I have searched the web, but I cannot find a source that can make custom glass lenses for the gauge rings. Even tempered glass (if possible in the small diameters) for safety reasons would be cool.
Does anyone know where I could get a custom set made?

pacman 99
06-19-2014, 11:58 AM
I've been wanting to upgrade mine too. THE AWD lenses with the purple tint looked so good.

I know KG Works sells some but I don't know the size.

http://www.kgworks.co.jp/4-c-00.htm

mini_fd
06-19-2014, 12:06 PM
Jeanne and I would be interested in getting a set so we can take off our plastic cover and enjoy the gauge panel

Phatmiata
06-19-2014, 12:09 PM
If you can find a local shop that maybe has the name "Custom Glass & Mirror" I am sure they could probably get something cut for you, I would bet it would be $100 easy. I work with a lot of glass contractors that do storefront glass, window replacement, and custom glass repairs, I will ask one of them next time they are on the shop if it is something they do?

mini_fd
06-19-2014, 12:28 PM
Could they specifically have that purple tint? It's just so beautiful

ScratchNSniff
06-19-2014, 12:46 PM
The custom glass place near me did a blue tinted replacement glass for the KGWORKS mirror I had that arrived broken...spot on...

Phatmiata
06-19-2014, 01:52 PM
Could they specifically have that purple tint? It's just so beautiful

Its just glass, I am sure they can do whatever you want for the right price. :blaugh2:

ScratchNSniff
06-19-2014, 01:59 PM
^^^Pretty much agree...it is their specialty...

George
06-19-2014, 02:07 PM
I had my independent gauge lenses for 3 or 4 years now and the lenses are still the same. I've contacted many shops regarding glass lenses but they had problems with cutting the smaller lenses and/or did a terrible job

revlimiter
06-19-2014, 02:46 PM
Museum / anti-glare glass pretty much has that purple tint in certain light. Most of the time, like all glass, it'll be clear. But with the correct product photography, it'll have a purple tint like in the AWD pix.

I could probably get some glass cut, Joel. I've already discussed this with my waterjet shop. They claim they can easily cut glass just like anything else (including 12" thick stone, which is pretty awesome to see get cut). Send me the dimensions of your plastic lenses and I'll see what I can do.

Pfunk
06-19-2014, 04:11 PM
Adam, if that works out, let me know. I want the same anti-glare for my SG gauges--without it, the reflections are awful. I will happily pay for custom glass.

vote4pedro
06-19-2014, 06:59 PM
I've been wanting to upgrade mine too. THE AWD lenses with the purple tint looked so good.

I know KG Works sells some but I don't know the size.

http://www.kgworks.co.jp/4-c-00.htm

Thanks, I saw these, but I am unsure if they would work with my gauge rings - I think they are thicker, and I do not want to spend the ¥ to find out.

vote4pedro
06-19-2014, 07:01 PM
Museum / anti-glare glass pretty much has that purple tint in certain light. Most of the time, like all glass, it'll be clear. But with the correct product photography, it'll have a purple tint like in the AWD pix.

I could probably get some glass cut, Joel. I've already discussed this with my waterjet shop. They claim they can easily cut glass just like anything else (including 12" thick stone, which is pretty awesome to see get cut). Send me the dimensions of your plastic lenses and I'll see what I can do.

Coming thru again, eh? I PM'd you.

revlimiter
06-19-2014, 09:52 PM
Adam, if that works out, let me know. I want the same anti-glare for my SG gauges--without it, the reflections are awful. I will happily pay for custom glass.

I'll definitely post about it if I can get something to work. I'd also rather like anti-glare glass for my KGW cluster.

Everyone: please don't go crazy requesting glass be cut until I know I can have it done. Also realize, each cluster style will likely have unique measurements required.

mini_fd
06-20-2014, 08:20 AM
Adam, if you start a limited run of the museum glass, I will purchase 2 sets for jeanne and I. Itll look great with the custom led warbirds and rsmeter/kgworks meter gauges we have.

kung fu jesus
06-20-2014, 12:49 PM
Just a thought, something machinable and already tinted, like polycarbonate, acrylic, even some more expensive brand names like 3form. This would allow you to do something trick, like a beveled/chamfered edge that you can leave raw or polished, depending on how you want the light to transmit. Picture of an expample: http://www.imago.co.uk/files/6913/6014/6081/Lit-Edge-Boxes.jpg

Adam, if you need help or some conceptual ideas of how this may look, let me know.

A good fab/prototype shop would have the facilities to do this sort of small-batch, secondary operation work on a full sheet of this stuff.

Glass is a little tricky to work with in these precision oriented pieces. That glass looks tempered in the link above, which is good, safety wise. It's all about yield and demand for a full set.

Even a local sheet plastic manufacturer will have the translucent plastics and colors you may desire. If they have seconds, you could get some cheap and makes these yourself.

Pfunk
06-21-2014, 01:59 AM
For me it's the anti-glare properties I need. The AWD set I had (well, still have, but don't use) had anti-glare coating, and, with the off-white faces, made nearly no reflection. MY SH gauges which have no AGC, and black faces, have seriously bad reflections.

Pfunk
06-21-2014, 02:03 AM
Hmmm... http://www.tspinc.com/duravue-anti-glare-coatings/