PDA

View Full Version : Drivetrain noise-94 with torsen

Smokinfastlegend
06-20-2014, 05:44 PM
Hey guys, First time really venturing out of the diecast section here.

Ive been having a noise coming from my drivetrain that happens when torque from the engine is engaged and disengaged via the clutch. It resonates from the rear end of the car as if the diff has severe backlash. I checked the axle and it appeared to be fine. So i tried turning the driveshaft with the ebrake pulled, and i heard the exact knocking noise. Through all my searching, no one has described a similar problem so I have not been able to get a clear answer, but I found a video with someone having the same problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPOMFVSK7S4

Now my real question is, is this basically a backlash issue requiring the diff to be R&Red? Or could it be something else?

THanks!

kung fu jesus
06-20-2014, 09:56 PM
The knocking isn't good, but some play is expected.

Is the differential singing or howling? You also want to try unbolting the driveshaft from the diff, don't remove the from the trans, and check the u-joint for notchiness, binding or slop.

Pyr0monk3y
06-20-2014, 10:00 PM
The play does seem a bit more than normal. How does your fluid look?

Smokinfastlegend
06-20-2014, 10:32 PM
The knocking isn't good, but some play is expected.

Is the differential singing or howling? You also want to try unbolting the driveshaft from the diff, don't remove the from the trans, and check the u-joint for notchiness, binding or slop.

The diff doesn't make any noise except I get a resonance of something between 2750-3k rpm. I do have poly bushings in the diff carrier but no increase in whine has occurred.

The play does seem a bit more than normal. How does your fluid look?
I haven't checked fluid, but it was changed roughly 4k miles ago and the fluid then came out pretty unremarkable.

Smokinfastlegend
06-20-2014, 10:52 PM
You know, I never thought to put 2+2 together.... My car makes a noise similar to a bad end link in the rear end and I never thought it could be the differential, but I'm starting to think that might be it. The only thing I didn't replace in the rear end has been bushings. Guess I'll look for another diff and see if I can "try before I buy" per say.

Rogue
06-20-2014, 11:08 PM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31U9Oa6ww%2BL.jpg

Smokinfastlegend
06-20-2014, 11:56 PM
Tried a stethoscope with the car in the air and wheels rotating, but the lack of load and resistance made it difficult to hear anything. The only thing we didnt do while it was in the air was have someone increase/decrease speed, it was only going on engine idle.