PDA

View Full Version : Miata radio wiring

JLBMX5
06-30-2014, 02:39 PM
On days where it is above 90 degrees my radio does not work nor does my cigarette lighter and found that my power mirrors wont move either. It is aftermarket radio installed by PO but was wired with a 93 miata radio wire adapter. Today when checking fuses I pulled radio fuse and it was fine. Plugged it back in and nothing. Then I pulled the interior light fuse and it was fine. Plugged it back in.radio came back on but everything was reset. I have pulled radio fuse before and it has never reset radio. It seems somehow the constant power wire is wired into the interior light fuse. The interior lights still work and have never stopped so even when radio is not working the interior lights still work. Is this the way its factory wired ? If anything else I will just run a new power wire from battery to 12v positive of the radio just incase its to much of. Strain on whatever fuse its going to.it has been doing this the past cpl of days and tomorrow morning when its cool outside it will work again so whats going on here ?

iKhanh
07-01-2014, 08:27 PM
interesting problem you have here. while i don't have an answer, i have a similar issue sometimes, and i wonder if it's at all related.

i have a '90 with the OEM radio. on cold days, power to the radio unit is on and shows the time, but i can't power on the radio so sound comes out. after driving for 10min or so, i can repeatedly press the power button until the radio turns on because the display starts to fluctuate between the time and the radio station i was last on.

i removed my cigarette lighter to refrain from using it because i plugged my phone charger in one time and it blew the fuse, thus knocking out my radio too. replaced the fuse, tried it again and it blew a second time. the third time i tried it, i didn't have my phone plugged into it, and all i did was plug in the charger and it still blew the fuse.

anyone know why i keep blowing the cigarette lighter fuse with a charger when my phone's not connected, or why my radio is stubborn to work on cold days for the first couple minutes?

JLBMX5
07-01-2014, 09:02 PM
I found my issue with radio and cig lighter cutting off. But I am still confused as to why the constant power is hooked up to the dome light fuse.

iKhanh
07-03-2014, 06:29 AM
Oh, what did you figure it was the issue?

JLBMX5
07-03-2014, 06:40 AM
My wire under console that runs acc power had loose connection

Andy
07-03-2014, 08:42 AM
interesting problem you have here. while i don't have an answer, i have a similar issue sometimes, and i wonder if it's at all related.

i have a '90 with the OEM radio. on cold days, power to the radio unit is on and shows the time, but i can't power on the radio so sound comes out. after driving for 10min or so, i can repeatedly press the power button until the radio turns on because the display starts to fluctuate between the time and the radio station i was last on.

i removed my cigarette lighter to refrain from using it because i plugged my phone charger in one time and it blew the fuse, thus knocking out my radio too. replaced the fuse, tried it again and it blew a second time. the third time i tried it, i didn't have my phone plugged into it, and all i did was plug in the charger and it still blew the fuse.

anyone know why i keep blowing the cigarette lighter fuse with a charger when my phone's not connected, or why my radio is stubborn to work on cold days for the first couple minutes?

Your radio problem is a common one with the oem ones. It has to do with the humidity in the ambient temperature and in the car. Generally sending it to Jeff Anderson, he can fix oem radios and make them work better than new, will fix your problem.

AS far as fuse problems, have you tried stepping it up a fuse number? Instead of 15 try a 20.

iKhanh
07-03-2014, 11:00 AM
Your radio problem is a common one with the oem ones. It has to do with the humidity in the ambient temperature and in the car. Generally sending it to Jeff Anderson, he can fix oem radios and make them work better than new, will fix your problem.

AS far as fuse problems, have you tried stepping it up a fuse number? Instead of 15 try a 20.
I've searched the interwebs for this problem and never find anything. Makes total sense, thanks! =)

I was thinking of trying a higher fuse number, but I didn't want to fry my wiring if it was still too much of an electrical load. Maybe after my differential swap this weekend and get my car all sorted out I'll try it. What's the worst thing that could happen; fry my radio and the cigarette lighter wiring? Cause if that happens, might as well remove it because race car right? Lol