PDA

View Full Version : Ever think about selling your Miata?

Cxmoney
07-11-2014, 01:27 PM
I don't know what it is, but sometimes I just feel like selling my car and moving on to something different. I feel like there is very little left to do to my car without spending several thousand dollars on a V8 swap. before I bought a bike my Miata was my daily driver, day in and day out. now I ride my bike 90% of the time. before I got my bike, I would even get tired of driving my car. I don't know if it is because it is so small or what.

just sometimes I want something different. am I the only one to think like this, or are there others out there? maybe I am crazy. or maybe I just need another car to play around with.

Andy
07-11-2014, 01:36 PM
When I get to the point of being bored with my car I re asses what I want from the car. Sometimes the answer changes and I now have a different path to do.

Phatmiata
07-11-2014, 01:42 PM
I can relate to this thread, once you have it mostly complete you get kinda bored, and you might even sell it for a new project.

However you will most likely be kicking yourself later on for selling such a sweet ride. Ask me how I know? :fp:

Dandy
07-11-2014, 01:44 PM
I've been there. My first Miata was a daily driver for most of its time with me. When I was no longer modding, and strictly maintaining, I got bored with it. I was dreaming of V8 swaps and the like before I finally gave it up. Once I got away from it for a few years I eventually began to miss it. Not needing it as a daily driver has made a difference in my level of enjoyment.

tsingson
07-11-2014, 01:45 PM
I completely agree. It almost always comes down to a chat with KFJ (read: kick in the nuts) for me to realize what I have and why I should keep it.

Phatmiata
07-11-2014, 01:46 PM
I think the only way to do it would be to sell it and go into another make / model, Peter sold his Pitcrew and got a Vintage Mini Cooper. That is probably what I should have done, but I stayed in the Miata game and still kick myself for selling mine. So if you are to do it (and I am not telling you to) but if you do, then you have to move on and don't look back, kinda like and old girlfriend, you have to get her outta your head.

Cxmoney
07-11-2014, 01:48 PM
so then I do need another car for a daily! lol.

I was planning on getting something simple like a civic or something like that in march when I move back to GA and start working at the police department. but maybe I should get something fun that I can start modifying. maybe a NC?

I think if I got another daily my car's fun-ness and purity will come back to me. just like when I got my bike, I was in love with my car again because I was not forced to drive it every single day. but moving back home where it rains a lot and has cold winters, I wont be able to ride my bike as often

mx54life
07-11-2014, 01:51 PM
Do not doubt yourself. That is life. We know what we like but it is human not to be liking what you love at all times and vice versa. Just step back running away will result some regrets later.

RuckkehrMiata
07-11-2014, 01:53 PM
I have a buddy who compulsively sells things when he gets bored for a bit, he has regretted it almost every single time.

The miata is the first thing he has kept longer than a year or two.

BlitzWing
07-11-2014, 01:54 PM
It happens. Originally I was looking at an S14 a few years ago before I got into MX5's but the drift tax put them out of my reach but I still find myself drawn to them. I've told myself a few times if I ever find a clean S30 or S130 the NA is gone (lucky that will never happen)

After my first NA was stolen I was very tempted to move on. I didn't even want another project I was just tempted to get some crappy hatch. Luckily I didn't go down that path in the end.

Phatmiata
07-11-2014, 01:55 PM
Get an NC Miata !!!! :slayer:

RuckkehrMiata
07-11-2014, 01:56 PM
Get an NC Miata !!!! :slayer:

Wait and get an ND

Andy
07-11-2014, 02:06 PM
I 100% agree that having a dedicated comfy daily made the miata 100% more fun to drive. I can now enjoy driving it instead of dreading when it rains and I just want to go home.

RuckkehrMiata
07-11-2014, 02:24 PM
I think my dedicated daily would still be a miata tho.

I have such a hard time driving my wifes car after having a manual steering rack and manual.
Her car lies to me all the time about the road, where it is, and how fast it is going!

theothersawyer
07-11-2014, 02:28 PM
I am currently in the same boat. Kind of bored of the car but still love it and can't see myself selling it. At the same time I'm dying for a project. I am saving up for a daily so I don't have to drive the Miata all the time. It becomes a device that gets me from point A to B, when it really is a machine at its soul to hit the streets in. I spent some time with the car detailing the interior and that helped some. I just want another project. The Miata is at the point of dumping major money into it and that's not what I want/can afford to do right now.

Hammerhead
07-11-2014, 02:39 PM
NO. NEVER. EVER. But, I tend to buy more Miatas rather than sell them.

That being said, I do sometimes get tired of fixing this or that or tinkering, but I always come back around. My Miatas have always been daily drivers until I started having more than one - then I daily drive only one of them.

Don't get me wrong, I like other cars and Rovers (which I will buying another soon), but I can't find anything I MUST have. The Audi R8 is about the only car I would consider, but I am loathed to spend the money.

I have been looking around at purchasing some older sports cars that I couldn't afford when I was younger, but I would always keep at least one Miata around.

Rogue
07-11-2014, 02:49 PM
After driving my 93LE for 12 years I got a bit tired of it, so I picked up a nice 95M project.
That way I can build it and not have to daily drive it.
I don't know how y'all do that.
I also don't stockpile parts (like some :P )…..I only buy parts going on my car.
I went in with a vision and pretty well sticking to it.

Not being a bike person, I also have a Hot Rod.
So that takes some energy too.

BlitzWing
07-11-2014, 02:54 PM
I'm beginning to think mine being a daily it taking the fun out of it. I cant really have my car off the road for more then a weekend so anything big requires a stupid level of planning as I cant just leave things standing and I cant have any mistakes.

kung fu jesus
07-11-2014, 02:56 PM
I put mine up for sale, shot high on the price and I was surprised how many bit on the price. I declined, then offered it to a very close friend and he bought it. It's great peace of mind because he loves the hell out it and I still get to see it and drive it from time to time, but it's hard on me. I miss it, but have grown to love the e30 that replaced it. My buddy wants to sell it back to me when he moves cross-country in about 18 mos. I can either buy it or straight-trade for my e30. :p

Still, it has been nice to take a step back from the Miata for a while, let it be used by a true enthusiast who really enjoys it for what it is. The 'time off' has allowed me to reset my automotive priorities. It's nice to get groceries and not worry about fitting it all in the e30 like I did in the Miata. The e30 is nicer on longer drives, too, but nowhere near as much fun on the track or back roads.

theothersawyer
07-11-2014, 03:01 PM
I lust over your old car at every JZilla trackday! Such a nice car!

The Driver
07-11-2014, 04:09 PM
No, NEVER. Then again, I do a good job of not OVERSPENDING on it, so that I don't lose my shirt over it either. For a while I thought that I was going to compliment the NA with a BOSS 302 Mustang, but that NC3 Club with a "Blacktone" turbo kit, may scratch the itch!

BTW, ever since college, I've owned two cars at once. Here in the North Pole by the Rockies, having a Miata for a daily driver is almost suicidal. For snow duty, I have an Extra Cab 2002 Tacoma 4WD TRD.

Cxmoney
07-11-2014, 04:35 PM
Wait and get an ND

That would be awesome, however I don't really want to buy anything BRAND new. The most expensive vehicle I have bought was my wife's 2013 focus for $17,000. It was new with 6k miles, but not BRAND new. Brand new vehicles are just so expensive. I personally like to keep it under the 10k range, unless I find something I REALLY like, then ill probably spend up to 15k. Only reason I spent so much on my wife's car was because everything she's had has been crappy. Something was always wrong and she doesn't know anything about cars. So with me going on deployments, I figured it would be best for her to have something relatively new that we don't have to worry about for a few years.

But TL;DR - A ND would be around the 25k range I am guessing. I would rather spend $15k or less on a NC with under 50k miles since I will be modifying it anyways.

titch
07-11-2014, 04:50 PM
I'd built my old MX5 to a standard where all I needed to do was boost it and then abuse more tracks, but I kept having urges to sell to buy a Honda (don't ask), I ended up swapping it for one, and although it had its problems, it was a great setup car, but i instantly regretted getting rid of the MX5. Offered the guy a swap back, and in the end broke the Honda for parts a little over 6 month after buying it.

So in answer to the OP, no, my current one will stay with me for a while yet.

Golden Stallion
07-11-2014, 05:10 PM
As I have only had a miata in my life since January, i cant say i have gone to the extreme of even thinking of selling but i can say that, as a daily driver, you tend to forget about how awesome they are. when I finally fixed my buick century, i was leaving tire squeals everywhere for the first couple of days because i had to re-train myself how to drive normal cars that can't take corners like a champ. I went to the beach with family without my car for a week and when i came back, It didn't feel familiar but it felt great. Just another thing of you don't know what you have till its gone. I like how revlimiter has done it, sharka is his project with all his money and time goes but then he has bucky, which is mostly stock, as his trusty DD.

I<3flippyheadlights
07-11-2014, 05:23 PM
I have thought about it and then realize that no one would buy my crap. Its too far gone for someone to buy. I would have to part it all out, figure out how to explain the green/red thing, etc. After thinking of all the work, I get on with it, and keep the Miata.

Now if I get a great job, I'll pick up another project car.

Dandy
07-11-2014, 06:35 PM
Cxmoney, you also have the burden of having a nearly iconic status car - an award winner, immortalized in the annual RevLimiter calendar (I've been enjoying looking at it this month), etc. It's not easy to let a car like that go and not regret it. Please don't let it become another Blue Potato! Consider moving the car into non-daily driver status if you can swing it and I think you will be happy in the future that you did.

Golden Stallion
07-11-2014, 06:57 PM
^ yes. Sucks what happened to the blue potato. Like people have said, get another dd(doesn't have to be great) and you will appreciate what you have more than now. If you have your car where you want it, just enjoy it and worry about the tiny details

atank
07-11-2014, 07:21 PM
I buy and sell Miata's all the time, I have three to sell now.................never gets boring:lol:

ScratchNSniff
07-11-2014, 07:45 PM
I buy and sell Miata's all the time, I have three to sell now.................never gets boring:lol:

Exactly how I keep entertained...worst thing I ever did was become connected to a car...because when something bad happens to it, then it absolutely SUCKS!!!

kung fu jesus
07-11-2014, 08:32 PM
The Miata, yes?

Yancey loves that car, Joel is taking cues from it and has set his up very similar.

mini_fd
07-11-2014, 09:36 PM
I ha en thought of selling or trading with cash on top to a fd rx7. Only thing I would do.

kung fu jesus
07-11-2014, 10:17 PM
A well-done LSx FD is one of my dream cars. One with AC, PS, CC, all turn key. I will take it in white, please.

Hammerhead
07-11-2014, 10:41 PM
I have thought about it and then realize that no one would buy my crap. Its too far gone for someone to buy. I would have to part it all out, figure out how to explain the green/red thing, etc. After thinking of all the work, I get on with it, and keep the Miata.

Now if I get a great job, I'll pick up another project car.
Agreed. Your car is that ugly green color...:shocked:

I<3flippyheadlights
07-11-2014, 11:02 PM
Agreed. Your car is that ugly green color...:shocked:

Exactly. At least its fast now

The Driver
07-11-2014, 11:08 PM
Exactly. At least its fast now

I like your watermelon Miata. If I didn't tell ya last week @ beef o bradys, I'm telling you now. I'd like it more if it had a 1.8...

Satisaii
07-11-2014, 11:33 PM
I am close to working from home again and will have to decide if I really want a car anymore. The 91 DD is easy, it will be up for sale as soon as the project car is driveable. The other one is harder. I sunk way too much into it (both $$$ and hours).

Cxmoney
07-12-2014, 03:26 AM
I ve been off and on about selling it for the pst 2 years. But I don't think I'll ever have the heart to do it. Even if I did, I refuse for it to ever walk the same path as the blue potato. I will take it apart and turn it back stock before I even think of selling it whole, just so nobody ruins all my hard work.

But I am pretty sure ill never sell it(I have entirely too much money in it anyways, that I will never ever get back), just sometimes I wish I had something else to drive and play with.

Yep, I need me a NC. Or even a 68-72 vette project. Haha. I'll get something....

bootz
07-12-2014, 03:35 AM
When I thinkk that she only makes 150hp I do, otherwise I would never sell her.

Madaboutmx5s
07-12-2014, 03:51 AM
I can relate to this thread, once you have it mostly complete you get kinda bored, and you might even sell it for a new project.

However you will most likely be kicking yourself later on for selling such a sweet ride. Ask me how I know? :fp:

I've done this before when bored after completing a project and often sold a nice mx5 for another car (Lotus Elise, FD RX7).

However I've been lucky to buy one project back (my white roadster).

Right now I've lost count of the number of fives I've owned but its 50 plus. The standard models I don't miss but I do miss those that had my styling takes at the time (black roadster turbo, white roadster turbo, creme white pitcrew, red pitcrew) and a couple of the tidy limited edition models I had like the white r limited (super rare and I never appreciated it) and rs limited.

kung fu jesus
07-12-2014, 06:10 AM
I am close to working from home again and will have to decide if I really want a car anymore. The 91 DD is easy, it will be up for sale as soon as the project car is driveable. The other one is harder. I sunk way too much into it (both $$$ and hours).

This is one of the reasons I parted with my Miata. Working from home, it was a little silly to show up to client meetings in a partially caged Miata. Though, the BMW is probably a little louder, it still seats 4-5 and is a little more respectable. I can teal off 300 mile trips and get out without looking like a hot mess. I am approaching 1 year with the e30 and I have put less than 6k on it.

JLBMX5
07-12-2014, 06:19 AM
Ive put in 3 times what the car is worth making it extremely hard to sell it for two reasons . First reason I will never see a positive return on money invested. Reason number 2 ive spent all this money making the miata my car so I dont want to sell it lol.

Malibu Q
07-12-2014, 09:33 AM
I like how your car looks now CX, but maybe you could consider a new set of wheels, which will change it's style and the way it drives.
When I had chromies on my car they made it feel not so nice to drive.

revlimiter
07-12-2014, 10:59 AM
I thought about selling Sharka once. That was around 2005. It was a dark year.

Cxmoney
07-12-2014, 04:24 PM
I like how your car looks now CX, but maybe you could consider a new set of wheels, which will change it's style and the way it drives.
When I had chromies on my car they made it feel not so nice to drive.

I love my chromies. I have completely forgotten what it is like to drive on lighter weight wheels. haha.

I am seriously considering getting a set of rota RKRs in silver. and if possible, I am thinking about getting them professionally polished to a mirror like finish(if that is even possible. I honestly do not know)

my wife loves the chromies too. she doesn't want me to get rid of them at all. haha.

Rogue
07-12-2014, 06:28 PM
Neat thing about wheels is you can swap them easily and it can totally change the look of the car.

Driftdevil
07-12-2014, 07:56 PM
I am seriously considering getting a set of rota RKRs in silver. and if possible, I am thinking about getting them professionally polished to a mirror like finish(if that is even possible. I honestly do not know).

12131 ;)

Rogue
07-12-2014, 09:39 PM
Meh, they look better in person. ;)

Cxmoney
07-13-2014, 03:30 AM
12131 ;)

Yeah I know about these. But not sure if they will look good or not with the vintage/retro theme I've got going on, which is why I was going to get silver and find out if they can be polished or not

Malibu Q
07-13-2014, 07:32 AM
I am seriously considering getting a set of rota RKRs, polished to a mirror like finish.

I remember you posting that idea in another thread. Sounds great!
They will polish up but it may be expensive if you're going to do the spokes.
Keep your chromies though, you'll probably regret it if you sold them and it's very unlikely you'll ever find another set.
The ones I see in Japan these days are very rusty.

Pfunk
07-13-2014, 09:39 AM
Never been tempted; hope to drive my NB until I croak! If I lived somewhere other than Japan, I'd have a second car.

kung fu jesus
07-13-2014, 10:09 AM
I remember you posting that idea in another thread. Sounds great!
They will polish up but it may be expensive if you're going to do the spokes.
Keep your chromies though, you'll probably regret it if you sold them and it's very unlikely you'll ever find another set.
The ones I see in Japan these days are very rusty.

SOCAL is the perfect place to find shops to do custom wheel work like this. There are a large number of them.

DK Wolf
07-13-2014, 10:38 AM
Lots of reasons make me want to sell this thing.. that it's brutally slow, like... there are some simple stock cars that blow my doors off at the track. It's old so lots of things randomly break (Alternator tensioner decided to fall off during my last track day), and these cars aren't really that pretty or sound that great.

The only reason I'm keeping it is because it's the most budget friendly track car ever and I want to savage my ego by feeling like I'm slow and suck at driving at the track so for when I eventually move onto a faster vehicle I'll hopefully just be naturally faster.

But it's really hard to tell if you're improving at each track day in a Miata if there are NBs that are capable of creeping away from you and that's about the only fair competition since even people in Mustang GTs (4.6) are capable of ruining your day.

If I could get 8k for this car.. I'd sell it instantly. But I won't so no need to worry.