PDA

View Full Version : Are NB2 Miatas that much better than NB1?

Roomba
07-11-2014, 09:32 PM
Ok so let me start off by saying that I am completely new to Miatas, I have been a euro guy for quite some time and had 2 MK4 GTI's before autocrossing one of em and realizing the Miatas are the way to go.
So now that that is out of the way, let me give ya a little bit of details regarding my car. I bought a 1999 Miata with 58k original miles from an older gentleman about a week ago, he had it for 11 years and was the second owner. My goal with the car is to make it a daily/autocross car. By that I mean, sway bar(s?), coilovers, wheels, rollbar, and perhaps an exhaust, all of this in the near future, all the other stuff will come in due time.

After buying this awesome Miata I realized that the 01+ Miatas had VVT which apparently is quite nice since I came across like 100 posts on google about people doing VVT swaps. I also know that the 01+ Miatas have a stiffer chassis, but I will eventually buy a butterfly brace and get that taken care of.

My friend who races for Spec Miata told me that the 99's are a bit more desirable because they are easier to work on, and easier to boost (which apparently isn't an issue anymore), so there's that.

Now, the question, is VVT that much more desirable than non-VVT engines? I know my NB has the torsen LSD and I know that's a great start for autocross and driving in general, but am I losing something BIG by not having a VVT engine or a 01+ Miata in general (minus the stuff stated above)?
Please be nice, this is my second post ever. Cheers.

Roomba
07-11-2014, 09:33 PM
*first post

kung fu jesus
07-11-2014, 10:21 PM
Not really. There are a few nice things about the NB2 I like; COP, tunable vvt (aftermarket), the body styling differences are subjective, as are a few interior creature comforts. Other than that, the NB1 is easier, as your friend mentioned.

atank
07-11-2014, 10:28 PM
I like them both, and I did love my 2005 MSM, but I also loved my 10th AE, I do not have a preference.........:?

Roomba
07-11-2014, 10:35 PM
Could any of you gents explain the body differences between NB1 and NB2? Is it just the bumper or...

Tkblazer
07-12-2014, 01:17 AM
Bumper, head and tail lights

TheGreatMica
07-12-2014, 03:05 AM
I've had my NB for about a year now and before that I had an NA. The only real difference between the two are the vvt and the few exterior differences explained as above. Check out my build thread on my NB, to get some ideas what you'll want to do. Its by far my favorite platform I have owned. Handles like a dream with the suspension/brake/tire upgrades i've done.

http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread.php?9556-Emma-The-Great-A-long-and-prosperous-journey-to-awesomeness

kung fu jesus
07-12-2014, 06:17 AM
The NA is more spirited driver because it is very basic, raw, the NB is more comfortable.

Except the body work and some interior bits, there is little that can't be transferred over between the NA and NB.

Pfunk
07-13-2014, 09:32 AM
I prefer the lines of the NB1; the motor can be made quite enjoyable with a well-planned build.

kung fu jesus
07-13-2014, 10:11 AM
...and a thick wallet.

DK Wolf
07-13-2014, 10:28 AM
Also NB2s have a noticeable power advantage over NAs.

revlimiter
07-13-2014, 02:16 PM
I've had an NB2 for 11 years. Here's my take.

Objective strengths of the NB2
-Better cup holders than the NB1.
-Better headlights (projector vs reflector) than NB1
-Better seats than NB1. The "surfboard" seats have full head support and really do feel great.
-More chassis bracing than NB1 as Mazda continually improved things.
-Standard fog lights, which I like.

Subjective weaknesses in the NB2
-NB1 nose with lip and fog lamp holes looks SO much better than the NB2.
-NB2 tupperware is silly huge. The NB1 side skirts and rear mud guards are much better.
-I'd rather not have VVT. It adds complexity without really adding power. So I'd rather work on an NB1.