PDA

View Full Version : 96 miata

nasblack3
07-19-2014, 02:55 PM
My son has a 96 miata that has sat for a year and a half after being in an accident, small fender bender, was running fine. The battery died and I replaced it and it still will not start. The airbags went off in the accident and they took out that steering wheel and replaced it and cut out the airbag on the passenger side. Thinking that had something to do with it not starting I disconnected the airbag orange and blue clips if you will but nothing. I went ahead a put new oil and filter and spark plugs. I also notice that the spark plug will not spark when contact with the block. Most of what I have tried is from this site or youtube. My next step is to replace the fuel pump and or fuel filter. Do not know much about cars let alone a miata, but I need to get this thing back on the road. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks
Larry (nasblack3@aol.com)

kung fu jesus
07-19-2014, 08:46 PM
Check the fuses in the master fuse block under the hood. To be clear, it ran fine after the accident?

nasblack3
07-19-2014, 10:02 PM
Thanks for the reply. The car ran fine before the accident. Once the accident occured it was not restarted mainly because the airbags deployed, so we had it towed to the house and it was parked for months before we tried to start it and it would not even turn over...there was nothing. Put a new battery in it and now it turns over but wont start.

kung fu jesus
07-20-2014, 06:25 PM
You need to start series of tests to find out if the fuel or spark systems are not operating. It seems you described the spark isn't present, not sure why you would replace the fuel pump, you know? Is there something omitted in the description?

The main fuses and relays could be damaged in an accident or a roughly jumped car to try to start it.

Anyways, you asked about the fuel pump, so this may be helpful...

For fuel pump testing:

If you switch the ignition key to "on", not start, you should hear the fuel pump whirring away behind you for a few seconds while sitting in the driver's seat. It is under the parcel shelf, behind the seats.

I am not too familiar with the 96-97 OBD2 cars, but in the engine bay you will find the data link connection port. It's a little black box with a hinged lid. You can jump the F/P and GND to test the fuel pump circuit with a small piece of jumper wire or paper clip (double check this to be certain). You would hear the pump priming just like i mentioned above.

If you don't hear that, you may have a bad fuel system relay. Don't quote me here, but I *think* there are one or two. I have heard of them sticking before, or just going bad and failing. You may need to read up on where the relay(s) are located to test them. Sorry I can't be much more help, perhaps someone more NA OBD2 savvy will chime in.

JLBMX5
07-20-2014, 06:27 PM
Pull a fuse on the power antenna. Its tough to hear that fuel pump over the antenna going up and down.

nasblack3
07-20-2014, 07:53 PM
the antennae doesnt work anyway, but thanks, never would have thought of that.

nasblack3
07-20-2014, 07:57 PM
I have tried everything you mentioned with the fuel pump and its silent. The fuses both in the car and under the hood are good. I am trying all the easy cheap stuff first before buying the new fuel pump. I have pretty much eliminated the idea that the airbag is somehow involved in this, especially since the fuel pump is making no noise.

kung fu jesus
07-20-2014, 08:02 PM
Yeah, I checked to see if your model had an inertia switch and it doesn't.

I would check fuel system electrical relays and test them.

I would also look to see if the factory service manual is available online. It typically has great step by step diagnostic tests to help you isolate issues like this. I had one that came with my '99 and it was awesome in helping test various issues so I knew exactly what the problem was instead of throwing parts at it.

Changing a fuel pump isn't difficult, but it is nervous work because of the fumes. I prefer to do that job by getting a used assembly and rebuilding it so the exposure of an open fuel tank is minimized. Of course, you could also drain the tank, too. There is a petcock on the bottom, under the car.

nasblack3
07-20-2014, 08:56 PM
I am not worried about replacing the fuel pump at all, just a little costly. However I will try the online manual and see what I can find. That is the one thing I have not done that I know of...which isnt saying much. I understand the fuel relays are right on top of the fuel tank or the one inside, so it may be easier to just replace it all from what I have seen in videos of this job
Thanks for the help kung fu jesus.

kung fu jesus
07-20-2014, 09:29 PM
You're welcome! Sorry I can't offer much help.

If you do replace the pump, just a few things or caveats I learned from doing it:

The rubber-like isolation straps that hold the pump to the assembly usually lose their elasticity. I sleeved my new pump (not OEM) in a piece of hose and ziptied it to the assembly.

The screws that attach the plate at the bottom of the assembly are those soft, phillips head bastards Mazda uses on other assemblies, like the ones that attach the ISC to the throttle body. Use a small pair of vice grips on the screw heads AND the right sized screwdriver to get them off without stripping them.

Spend a few extra bucks to replace the duck foot filter on the end of the pump assembly. The one in there could probably stand replacing. It uses one of those press-fit type washers that don't like to be reused to attach to a little plastic tab on the pump. You'll know what I mean when you see it. :)

Please keep us up to date on your progress!

nasblack3
07-20-2014, 10:03 PM
Don't be sorry, thats more help than I have had in awhile. The only other person helping I cant get a hold of and he has a miata also. Trust me what you know is more than I do so its appreciated. Thankyou for the detailed description of what to look for and from what I have seen in the videos either everything you said to get comes together now or they just did not say they purchased them separately.

nasblack3
07-25-2014, 10:00 PM
Quick update, the miata is running. There was a large cluster of wires under the hood on the passenger side between the fender and the main fuse box that had been partially chewed through by some rat or something. Well anyway we got that fixed up and she started right up. Now we just need an alignment and smog and she will be good to go again.