PDA

View Full Version : 1999 10 AE, what suspension do I have?

Robert
07-29-2014, 12:14 PM
I'm new to Miatas, and I'am very happy with my 1999 10 AE. I'm thinking about
trying some auto crossing after having seen a good event locally. Can anyone tell me what
suspension I have, it being all stock up to now. I did notice I have Bilsteins all around, but
was wondering if there are areas where there is much to be gained. Does this model have
higher rated springs and anti-sway bars? I'm not looking to have an all out race car since
this is a DD. Thanks for any responses.

kung fu jesus
07-29-2014, 12:30 PM
The 10ae has the Sport suspension. They are factory spec Bilsteins and slightly stiffer springs, IIRC.

The area to be gained, in all honesty and with the MOST certainty, is YOU. Learn to drive on what you have. The biggest mistake people make is to go and modify the suspension without realizing their full potential within themselves. Take that money you planned to use on suspension upgrades and go get instruction. I am completely serious about this.

Martin
07-29-2014, 01:17 PM
10AE also has bigger anti-sway bars and a factory shock tower bar.

Rogue
07-29-2014, 01:23 PM
The area to be gained, in all honesty and with the MOST certainty, is YOU. Learn to drive on what you have. The biggest mistake people make is to go and modify the suspension without realizing their full potential within themselves. Take that money you planned to use on suspension upgrades and go get instruction. I am completely serious about this.

I agree 100%…….When I started AutoX and "old wheel" told me that "if you can't drive it stock, you'll won't be able to drive it modified."
He tightened my front sway and bumped my tire pressure and had me drive it like that for one season.
Then one mod at a time, so you'll know what works and what doesn't
I still run my factory Billies, and have a blast.

kung fu jesus
07-29-2014, 02:08 PM
I drove my stock NA6 in autocross a few times. Because I had 15x7 wheels, I was placed in CSP. That was the only "mod". After a couple of times, I was beating the 1.8 NAs with far more modifications and bolt ons. Not bragging, just sayin'.

Robert
07-29-2014, 07:45 PM
Thanks for all the input. Looks like I'll just have to put some time in and get some good instruction.
Was hoping to get a ride in with one of the instructors at the next event in Tampa.

Phatmiata
07-29-2014, 10:08 PM
Thanks for all the input. Looks like I'll just have to put some time in and get some good instruction.
Was hoping to get a ride in with one of the instructors at the next event in Tampa.

you need to ride with Loren, he is one of the best instructors out there, he has been doing autocross forever.

etikoner
07-29-2014, 10:51 PM
One good upgrade that *shouldn't* bump you into a different class would be changing out the oem bumpstops.

Rogue
07-30-2014, 06:45 AM
One good upgrade that *shouldn't* bump you into a different class would be changing out the oem bumpstops.

True Dat, I have had Fat Cat bumps on my NA since they came out and they transformed……not as crucial on a NB though.