PDA

View Full Version : NB gas fumes in cockpit!

kung fu jesus
07-29-2014, 01:22 PM
Timtim is having a reoccurring issues with his '00 Miata.

He gets strong fuel fumes in the cockpit coming from the rear bulkhead. We tested the evap system by pressurizing the fuel system through jumping the diagnostics port.

It is not charcoal canister related, as far as we can tell. The vent tube from the can dumps at the front right suspension, this is coming from the tank on the passenger side.

We removed the parcel shelf covers and he drove it around until the fumes came back. When I placed my hand on the fuel tank, it was hot to the touch. I could only stand to lay me hand on it for a few seconds at a time. The fuel cap does not seem to emit any audible pressure release when opened.

The only thing we could find was the resonator on the FM midpipe was about 4" in diameter, right below the fuel tank. I suspect the resonator is heating the fuel tank until the gas reaches a higher evaporation point and it exits somewhere near the rear bulk head.

Does anyone have a similar experience?

RotorNutFD3S
07-29-2014, 01:28 PM
Could be something like what Adam documented here: http://revlimiter.net/blog/2012/07/how-to-eliminate-miata-gas-fumes-i-hope/ Although it's normally on NAs or V8 cars, the aftermarket exhaust could definitely be responsible for it.

atank
07-29-2014, 01:29 PM
I had the same problem, I instead have a stripped interior, however when I replaced the K1 Racing catback I had for a Racing Beat setup, problem solved...........FWIW

kung fu jesus
07-29-2014, 02:04 PM
Midpipe or exhaust?

atank
07-29-2014, 02:38 PM
Midpipe or exhaust?

I changed it all from the cat back...........the K1 was too loud.......