PDA

View Full Version : *klunk* it says

Slampen
08-07-2014, 01:58 AM
Same experience as previous thread. Had the car on the track for the first time.

Did experience a sound in some of the turns. Not at the same time as my springs did hit the bottom.

Was like a *klunk* and only once in each turn. Like something changed side inside something.
Most often it was in the rear and sometimes in front.
Never experienced this when driving on public roads.

Any tip where and how to start searching?

kung fu jesus
08-07-2014, 06:19 AM
First, check your swaybar endlinks. Make sure they are tight and good, then move inboard to where the swaybays mount to the frame of the car. Look to see if the bushings have moved or have deteriorated. If you run a larger aftermarket front bar, are you running the swaybay braces? You want to look to see if the swaybar ends are hitting the shocks, too. You will see marks on the shoc bodies if they are.

After that, I would suspect the control arm bushings and/or bolts. On my wife's first '99 one of her front right upper control arm bushings went bad after ~4 years and the bolt was damaged. In a hard left turn, sometime under hard braking, it would 'clunk' and you could feel the steering geometry shift momentarily in the steering wheel. It felt very unusual.

Slampen
08-08-2014, 01:45 AM
KFJ u rock.

Thank you for the task list.