PDA

View Full Version : Type 2 Torsen Diff

Meow
01-12-2012, 08:34 PM
Been looking at this post on craigslist for a while (been for sale since Nov), and i've been wanting to do the 1.8 swap in my 1990 for awhile, and i know what all i need for the swap. My question is does this price sound right or is it reasonable? I know this Diff is used in the 1996+ miatas and is more biased for deceleration.

Craigslist link:
http://charlotte.craigslist.org/pts/2785946916.html

I'm not knowledgable on prices for diffs, although i know brand new they run pretty high.

Thanks for any info guys

edit: I haven't got pictures from the email yet, im just trying to see the price range for one in the said condition

The Driver
01-12-2012, 08:42 PM
I say it's a VERY good price. Do you have anyone that can check it's condition for ya?

adamvanxxx
01-12-2012, 08:42 PM
It is a fair price, do you already have a 1.8 car?

If not you will need axles too.

Meow
01-12-2012, 08:44 PM
I say it's a VERY good price. Do you have anyone that can check it's condition for ya?

My Buddy is a really good mechanic and knows a lot more about diffs than myself

It is a fair price, do you already have a 1.8 car?

If not you will need axles too.

Nope i was planning on doing the swap, but i know i got a long list of things i need to switch out for it to work.

Thanks for the quick replies guys

stormin'norman
01-14-2012, 03:27 PM

Torsens do not "wear" per say. They either function or are broken/exploded.

I'd pick it up if you can confirm it is a Torsen. Replace your trans output seal, axel seals, and get new axel nuts. Also if he doesn't provide the hardware you will need 1.8 driveshaft bolts, washers, and nuts. Yes, they are quite specific and likely not something you can find at a hardware store.

Meow
01-15-2012, 02:20 AM
good info. Thanks i'll keep that in mind, and will if (the hardware isn't provided) order some direct from mazda.

3MiataFamily
01-16-2012, 02:58 PM
Does that price include anything besides the actual diff?..like the housing?...you will need that...along with axles and driveshaft from a 1.8 car...and the driveshaft bolts...those you can probably get from one of the recyclers for pretty cheap. Ordering nuts and bolts from Mazda is an expensive proposition.

The Driver
01-16-2012, 03:17 PM
Torsens do not "wear" per say. They either function or are broken/exploded.

I'd pick it up if you can confirm it is a Torsen. Replace your trans output seal, axel seals, and get new axel nuts. Also if he doesn't provide the hardware you will need 1.8 driveshaft bolts, washers, and nuts. Yes, they are quite specific and likely not something you can find at a hardware store.

I know that, but if it has been sitting exposed to the elements, or blown apart...

cjsafski
01-16-2012, 11:34 PM
I got a whole rear end with torsen for 350 back when they cost 700 or so on the forums. Just need to know a little trick. Go on carpart.com and search for a miata open diff. Find one at a nearby yard and call and get the vin of the car it came of off. Then call mazda with the vin and ask if it had a torsen. If they say it does go and pick it up. Check before you buy that you can see through where the half shafts connect. If its an open you will se something blocking it. This works because the torsen fails the test for rotating the rear wheels of a car with it in the air.

The Driver
01-16-2012, 11:57 PM
I got a whole rear end with torsen for 350 back when they cost 700 or so on the forums. Just need to know a little trick. Go on carpart.com and search for a miata open diff. Find one at a nearby yard and call and get the vin of the car it came of off. Then call mazda with the vin and ask if it had a torsen. If they say it does go and pick it up. Check before you buy that you can see through where the half shafts connect. If its an open you will se something blocking it. This works because the torsen fails the test for rotating the rear wheels of a car with it in the air.

Car-Parts.com is such a GODsend!

Meow
01-31-2012, 04:07 AM
I had my buddy check out the lsd this weekend, and well it wasn't a torsen. it was an OBX lsd. so the search still continues.

Car-Parts.com is awesome, but NC has little to offer when it comes to salvage yards especially for miata parts

stormin'norman
01-31-2012, 12:17 PM
I had my buddy check out the lsd this weekend, and well it wasn't a torsen. it was an OBX lsd. so the search still continues.

Car-Parts.com is awesome, but NC has little to offer when it comes to salvage yards especially for miata parts

Just for kicks.. you should check out the obx helical lsd thread on Miataturbo.

Meow
01-31-2012, 11:08 PM
yeah I saw that surprisingly on youtube in about a 7 1/2 minute video and the guy seemed to love it. But i can pick up a a brand new OBX for less than $550 so if i chose that option it we be new at least.