PDA

View Full Version : Do you drive with your headlights on/up during the day?

WASABI
08-28-2014, 04:27 PM
OK, I need to hear some other Miata driver's thoughts on this matter.

My wife has asked me on a number of occasions, to put my headlights on/up while I drive on the highway so I am more visible to other traffic. She feels the dark green car is harder to see as well.
I tell her that my driving lights are on, and that I don't like the looks of the barn doors being up when it's a beautiful sunny day (I do use my headlights in the daytime when it rains, or is foggy).

So, the question... What lengths do you take while driving the Miata to be safe, and where do you draw the line?

revlimiter
08-28-2014, 04:36 PM
Stripes.

Seriously. I like the stripes and couldn't imagine getting rid of them after 12 years, but I added the stripes for visibility. The car is nearly the color of the pavement without them. Adding some contrast makes it at least visible. And it's often pretty obvious when someone suddenly notices there's a car coming at them and they shouldn't pull out into the intersection.

But yeah, I too drive with lights on when it's rainy or very cloudy.

If I'm on the freeway on a long distance drive and it "feels" like no one is paying attention, I'll drive with the brights on. Seems to help.

Jeffbucc
08-29-2014, 01:05 AM
You can get ticketed in certain areas of Nevada and Idaho for not driving with your lights on. I feel really sorry for the people Rev is brighting. I accidently walked in front of my Moss Lopros with the brights on and it was like looking at the sun!

I think the problem is that no matter how safe you try to be by making yourself stand out, someone is always not paying attention. I'll use motorcycles as an example. You can make yourself brighter than a reflective banana, but you can still get hit.

When I drive in the city or on busy highway stretches, I tend to always leave 2-4 car lengths between me and the car in front of me. Also always checking my mirrors in case someone is riding my tail to closely, and always looking ahead to intersection coming up/parking lot exit, to see if someone is going to pull into my lane suddenly. I'd much rather be the one paying attention to my surroundings, than rely on someone I don't know, and may have questionable acuity.

Sadly, I don't have the problem of blending into the environment. I unintentionally made it so that my car screams, "LOOK AT ME".

Laguna Seca Blue is one loud LOUD blue.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c129/Jeffbucc/IMG_2801.jpg (http://s26.photobucket.com/user/Jeffbucc/media/IMG_2801.jpg.html)

BengtKardell
08-29-2014, 04:09 AM
In Sweden we have a law thats say you MUST have your lights on all the time, even during daylight.
All cars sold in Sweden have automatic day-light-running lights.
And as for motorcycles, for a few years ago, most motorcycles-driver use a safety vest for visibility.

theothersawyer
08-29-2014, 09:42 AM
I don't drive with my lights on, but that might explain why I get cut off all of the time! Last time I checked red is a bright color! I do have a loud horn though! People always honk back in rage after I honk at them for cutting me off. I don't get it!

KAL
08-29-2014, 10:18 AM
Lights always on, no reason not to.

theothersawyer
08-29-2014, 10:24 AM
I always feel like having the big barn doors up kills gas mileage, but I can't imagine it's very significant.

Hyper
08-29-2014, 11:01 AM
ha ha I drive with the Halos on, everybody chase me....
http://mazdaroadster.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=8178&d=1372868406

fwdtamiya
08-29-2014, 03:33 PM
I always feel like having the big barn doors up kills gas mileage, but I can't imagine it's very significant.
+1

They're off during the day. In parking structures I flip on my parking lights.

JLBMX5
08-29-2014, 03:36 PM
I have the jass low profile headlights and for the first couple of days I would turn them on during the day but now they stay down unless its dark outside.

JamieH
08-29-2014, 07:26 PM
At most I will turn the running lights on if it's starting to get dark or what have you. If it's raining, I will turn them on. It's NC State law for your headlights to be on if you're having to use your wipers. regardless of the time of day.

maharaj
08-29-2014, 10:39 PM
With my headlights up I feel like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2ichhWe7fQ

91BRG
08-30-2014, 02:50 AM
Yes certainly do. Why? Well, because the view from drivers seat is cool, seeing those 2 popups on the corners of your car. Also, the miata from front looks like it's saying 'hey come n play!' - such a friendly look.... oh and safety.

riefdaddy
08-30-2014, 05:43 AM
No headlights. I only put them up during periods of reduced visibility - as the law requires in Virginia. I will say I don't drive on the interstate too much. The main reason is I find no pleasure in driving in heavy traffic. It may take me an extra 10-15 minutes going on a state highway, but they are more fun as you have things to see and the roads have curves. I do run with my driving lights on, but not always.

Slampen
08-30-2014, 08:08 AM
Main reason for using headlights during the day is not for visibility, but to be seen.

For me that is very importent when driving a small car as the Miata/mx5.

Rogue
08-30-2014, 10:46 AM
No, barn doors down until dark 30, and certainly don't park with them up.
I put clear bulbs in the turn signals and use them as DRLs.
I also painted the headlight shrouds red on my 93LE, so I can use "Flash to Pass" if I am unsure that someone doesn't see me.
Been driving that 93 for 12 years, and its worked so far.
I also have a full set (4) horns from an old "Coupe de Ville", just in case.

On my ex95M I have a real DRL box since no significant shrouds on the Lo-pros.

Twistietweaker
11-16-2014, 02:48 PM
I drive with them up per the law. If my wife is along I'll use them, or in shaded areas. But I'm with revlimiter, stripes will do the trick. Thinking about some neon yellow stripes to go with my Montego paint! :shocked:

Joelioooo
11-16-2014, 03:17 PM
Never have them up, I used to love them but they ruin the lines of the car for me. But I do drive with my fog lights on constantly up until dusk where the headlights take over (because the yellow OEM fogs are way cooler and I strive for the old car feel) ^_^

Dandy
11-16-2014, 03:51 PM
I have never felt like I couldn't see or be seen during normal daylight hours. I only pop the lights on when there is reduced visibility due to weather or darkness.

Willywongka
11-17-2014, 05:01 AM
I usually run my headlights when it is overcast or I don't really trust the drivers around me on the highway (which is most of the time).

atank
11-17-2014, 06:29 AM
http://i.imgur.com/OfjP8PA.jpg

& no hood..........:twisted:

6y mazda
11-17-2014, 07:48 AM
I will turn on the parking lights (I have white LED switchbacks with my TSI's) if it's foggy or starting to get dark, or early in the morning when it's still a little dark. Sometimes I drive with the lights popped up (but not on) if I wanna show off the angry eyes. But most of the time the lights are down during the day.

Flyin 92
11-17-2014, 01:25 PM
I will turn on the parking lights (I have white LED switchbacks with my TSI's) if it's foggy or starting to get dark, or early in the morning when it's still a little dark. Sometimes I drive with the lights popped up (but not on) if I wanna show off the angry eyes. But most of the time the lights are down during the day.

+1

Since I recently retired the miata from DD duty I rarely drive at night. If I'm doing canyon runs I'll turn on my parking lights. Most of the roads I drive on are tree lined/heavily shaded and it's hard to see cars, even in broad daylight.

BoBo
11-17-2014, 08:48 PM
I usually use the headlights at night or anytime when it's hard for me to see. The Miata is a small car, so having an aftermarket exhaust also helps, especially on my sport bike. Having fog lights on the miata would be nice as well, especially on the super foggy days.

imperfekt
11-18-2014, 01:41 AM
driving lights are more than enough, this way if someone is behind you your tail lights are illuminated without the barn doors open. If you are concerned with someone crossing the yellow line or making a left in front of you then maybe fog lights would be the maximum lengths I would go to... but running lights seem plenty to me, and I have a pitcrew haha, so if I get in an accident I'm killing someone....

Martin
11-18-2014, 10:52 AM
... and I have a pitcrew haha, so if I get in an accident I'm killing someone....
I can sympathize

Malibu Q
01-07-2015, 09:34 AM
When I had stock front park lights I would often use them in low light conditions and in the evening right up until the time when I knew that I must have headlights or risk being booked by the plod.
I am now using Jass TSI's similar to Atank's shown above, but in black. I don't like the look of the Jass LED parks and would run no lights until absolutely necessary until I made a new park harness with a relay and a couple of diodes. Now my parks only work on the park setting and turn off when the headlights are on. I run headlights in low light now.

Phatmiata
01-07-2015, 09:39 AM
I drive with all the lights on with any of my cars, too many folks pull out in front of me, I want them to see me coming!

iRoadster
01-09-2015, 12:55 AM
I basically always have the running lights on. I like the look.
Headlights come on if it's foggy, raining, dark, snow etc.

I still hate that someone nearly hits every single time I drive.

mazdarati1
01-11-2015, 03:57 PM
If you look closely at the top of MiMi's grille opening, I have installed 2 slim DRLs. Took about 2 hours and they are running off the aux. power plug under the hood so they are on when she's running. Very bright, seems to help in traffic. Oh yeah they were cheap too, hope they hold up, have a couple months running
time at this point.