Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "The Butcher's 96 M Build"

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! TheButcher's Avatar
    Drives
    1996 M-Edition
    Thanks Given
    Just picked up these. Should look good with the vent on the hood.

Got lots more done on the rear suspension. No pictures but ill post some tomorrow. The entire rear will be done tomorrow. Crazy. Now on to the front.

Drives
    1996 M-Edition
    Thanks Given
    Rear is done and damn what a bitch. Lol. The front will be so much easier and faster. Thats why I did the rear first. Still need to put the axles in but they havent arrived yet so I will slap them in once they do.

I also powdercoated the differential brackets just because. No one but the alignment guy will see them but thats ok.

Im surprised by the lack of any rust at all. Even the bolts are rust free. Its a nice change.

I have these to still do but I think ill wait until I do the interior.

Im starting the front later and will update as stuff happens. Cheers!

Drives
    1996 M-Edition
    Thanks Given
    It has been a couple weeks since I worked on it. But I got the front drivers side done and the passenger side started. Its a long process and school was tough for a biy there. But im in the home stretch now. All new brakes also.

Before --

After --

Its all still a mess....but once I get the suspension done...we move on to paint.

Its messy --

My bushing collection is getting rather large. Lol

More coming later. Not sure if ill post tomorrow but lots will get done. Cheers.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheButcher For This Useful Post:

atank (11-05-2014),Dandy (11-02-2014)

Drives
    1996 M-Edition
    Thanks Given
    All the suspension is done! All bushings are changed and everything is powder coated and back together. What a beast of a project. Ill post some pics later. I still have frame rails to do and body work before paint. I will post pics and the typical bullshit as it goes on. Im welding up a new muffler also.

Yea....fuck bushings!!!!

Drives
    1994 LB / 2014 MX5CE / 91 SD Italia
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,712 Times in 1,646 Posts
    Good painstaking work!!!!!!!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to atank For This Useful Post:

TheButcher (11-05-2014)

Drives
    1996 M-Edition
    Thanks Given
    Thank you

Drives
    1996 M-Edition
    Thanks Given
    Ok, the chassis is done! Came out great and im really happy. I have the brakes, bushings, powder coating, grease fittings, diff oil, trans oil, all new seals, muffler, sway bars and frame rails finished. I am really happy with the way it came out. Lots of work though.

I custom made brackets to hold the fuel lines like factory. I didn't want any rattling or rubbing.

I started to mount the flares and finished one today. I figure if i do one a day it will go fast.

Well, its on a roll now. Im not sure if the seats i got will fit easily or if the torch will have to come out. We will see here soon.

Seacrest Out!

Drives
    1996 M-Edition
    Thanks Given
    Finished all the fender flares. Just couldn't leave them undone. I love the look and im sure they will look nice with the paint. Starting heavy body work this weekend. Have to take a break. Been working on it too much recently.

Looks good. Fit and finish were not that bad. Had to "work" the fit on them but im happy with them overall.

[IMG] http://s4.postimg.org/opu3ef4cd/20141110_200722.jpg[IMG]

Its coming along....

Drives
    1996 M-Edition
    Thanks Given
    Ok so its on its way now. Things sent crazy and i took a break for awhile. But, its back on track.

The racing seats I bought were too wide. So I had to modify the transmission tunnel and floor pan to fit them.

I didn't take pictures of it but because I modified the transmission tunnel so much I had to remove the catalytic converter and run a test pipe. my biggest concern was making sure the seat did not touch the door when I closed it. Really can't see from the picture but I had to move the transmission tunnel over about three and a half inches. This also left a huge gap in the floor that I had to rebuild also.

But it all came together and I could complete the body work and get ready for paint.

Drives
    1996 M-Edition
    Thanks Given
    So now I went through and primered the whole car.

When i was doing the body work i made sure all the panels fit correctly. I mean if your going to paint a car you might as well do it right.

And now to get ready for paint.

Drives
    1996 M-Edition
    Thanks Given
    The worst part about painting the car is cleaning up your ridiculous mess after working on the car for 5 months. I didn't realize how many metal shavings there where and just random shit everywhere around the garage. So I vacuumed the floor, put all the tools away ( actually for real this time not just in a big pile on my workbench....lol).

Then came the long process of putting her back together. but, if you've ever taken a Miata apart for paint......its really not that big a deal to put it back together.

Toward the end I just got so tired I stopped taking pictures and worked on the car. But as you can see the seat is now in. I have 2 Sparcos but my daughter rides with me and she's too short for the harnesses to fit properly. So I left the passenger seat factory and when she grows a little bit more I will put the other seat in.

It was like 3 o'clock in the morning in this picture and I had to work the next day but I couldn't stop. I was almost there.

Drives
    1996 M-Edition
    Thanks Given
    She is actually on the floor for the first time in 6 months. I can't believe it for some reason I thought the whole car was going to break when it touched the floor. But something funny happened when I was taking it off jack stands I think the car was tired of being up in the air for so long. because the car is so low I have to set it on blocks before I can let it down all the way. immediately when I took the jack out from under the blocks it rolled off the blocks onto the floor.

Scare the shit out of me. I'm not sure how that happened because my garage is flat. I think she was just really excited to be on the floor.

BOOM....there she is. Sits well. Love it. she looks very aggressive with the flares and the tires. I'm really happy the way it came out and actually drove pretty well the first time to. I was worried about the alignment but it actually drove pretty well.

I put a new top on the car too. I didn't take any pictures of that process but you can find it all online. It actually wasn't hard to put a new top on the hardest part was leaving it out in the Sun so its would be more flexible.

I'm going to make a splitter for the front and do some other stuff. I'll update it as it goes along. But there we go.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Sean5294's Avatar
    Drives
    Red 2002 Miata LS
    Thanks Given
    I really like it.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Sean5294 For This Useful Post:

TheButcher (04-02-2015)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift Demon I Am's Avatar
    Drives
    No-ata
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,396 Times in 850 Posts
    You did a wonderful job

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Demon I Am For This Useful Post:

TheButcher (04-02-2015)

Drives
    1996 M-Edition
    Thanks Given
    Thank you everyone.

So i was asked to take a picture of the vent in my hood. I guess I kind of forgot to post that process.

Here you go.

It worked out really well. It's kind of old school looking down in there and seeing the intake.

Also, here is the clearence between my door and seat.

Fits well and even though I'm six feet tall I am now 3 inches under the roll bar. With the stock seat I was one inch above the roll bar. not really much of a point of having a roll bar then lol.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to TheButcher For This Useful Post:

Paul B (06-05-2017)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast