Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Exhaust for my M45 Miata

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power mx54life's Avatar
    Drives
    1999 10th AE
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Greasemonkey2000 View Post
    mx54life: Full details on exhaust? (header type, cat type, resonated or non resonated midpipe, power pulse, twin tip or dual outlet RB muffler) I hope mine doesn't drone but different components definitely have a bearing on this I'm sure.

Have no idea why someone would think a s/c would muffle the exhaust as it is on the intake side of the equation and increases air flow/volume thus increasing exhaust volume/flow.

This is why(s/c is still on the table) i want a rather quiet aftermarket exhaust and chose a Racing Beat dual outlet muffler, although i would think the Power Pulse would be quieter option i like the symmetry of the dual outlet. Still have to get a midpipe but finally have a used RB resonated midpipe lined up. Also have a Raceland header but can't decide still if i want a 'high flow' cat or oem type...obviously the oem type would be quieter but how much of a difference i dunno. I know what may be quiet n/a could be too loud, imo, with a s/c increasing volume/flow.
    JR header, Carb legal Magnavox Cat, RB power Pulse cat back and the sound IMHO is what is appropriate for the street, zero highway drone with the HT on, Cali street legal and I can't imagine it to be illegal in any other state or county.

The sound of any exhaust is relative to the owner. A friend of mine who has IMO one of the most obnoxious sounding exhaust hears his exhaust as a V8 with a straight pipe lol. What I like about the set I got is that it has a quiet idle but when you rip it the loudness is steady and not annoying. You definitely could hear it that it is not OEM down there. It's the sound that one can feel rather than necessarily hear. Again this is purely relative. I am not deaf and I am not seeking attention. The RB is a bit heavier that other comparable set up but that extra poundage ensures a solid system free of drone and a sound no more than 95 decibels exhaust system. Again I am an older miata owner living in California lol.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mx54life For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (11-02-2015)

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! bada55mofo's Avatar
    Drives
    1990 Mariner NA
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by mx54life View Post
    JR header, Carb legal Magnavox Cat, RB power Pulse cat back and the sound IMHO is what is appropriate for the street, zero highway drone with the HT on, Cali street legal and I can't imagine it to be illegal in any other state or county.

The sound of any exhaust is relative to the owner. A friend of mine who has IMO one of the most obnoxious sounding exhaust hears his exhaust as a V8 with a straight pipe lol. What I like about the set I got is that it has a quiet idle but when you rip it the loudness is steady and not annoying. You definitely could hear it that it is not OEM down there. It's the sound that one can feel rather than necessarily hear. Again this is purely relative. I am not deaf and I am not seeking attention. The RB is a bit heavier that other comparable set up but that extra poundage ensures a solid system free of drone and a sound no more than 95 decibels exhaust system. Again I am an older miata owner living in California lol.
    That actually sounds pretty nice, listening to it of course in my Miata lol, but I'm just worried how loud it'll be with the m45...had a bad experience with my previous Miata with a turbo exhaust and a supercharger...it was horrible. Plus the Isis just looks so damn sexy. Plus I'm still thinking a snail could be in my Miata's future!

Drives
    1999 10th AE
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by bada55mofo View Post
    That actually sounds pretty nice, listening to it of course in my Miata lol, but I'm just worried how loud it'll be with the m45...had a bad experience with my previous Miata with a turbo exhaust and a supercharger...it was horrible. Plus the Isis just looks so damn sexy. Plus I'm still thinking a snail could be in my Miata's future!
    That is with an M45 in my engine bay lol.

Drives
    1990 Mariner NA
    Thanks Given
    Ohh...well damn that could be a possibility for me...just the Isis is so damn pretty...I wish someone had a M45 and an Isis so I could compare the to..I like the way yours sounds...can you still hear it whine?

Drives
    1999 10th AE
    Thanks Given
    Ohh...well damn that could be a possibility for me...just the Isis is so damn pretty...I wish someone had a M45 and an Isis so I could compare the to..I like the way yours sounds...can you still hear it whine?
    Yes that's probably the plus if you want the SC whining. Once it's down there you won't see it. But wait the RB system is a beauty too.....then again out of sight most of the time.

Drives
    1990 Mariner NA
    Thanks Given
    Most definitely don't want it droning, I do a lot of highway runs at around 80-90 for about 45 mins.

Drives
    93 LE
    Thanks Given
    Really leaning towards the ISIS now, I want a RSR but don't want to spend that much on a used exhaust!
    You are now looking at the wrong exhausts if you want quiet. Remember you want a 2.25" pipe for naturally aspirated or a supercharger. A supercharger is not going to significantly increase and will NOT decrease or muffle the exhaust sound if you go with a larger than 2.25" pipe. A 2.5" or larger exhaust will be louder and will decrease the performance of a supercharger. The m45 needs a bit of back-pressure to perform efficiently.

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! Greasemonkey2000's Avatar
    Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,233 Posts
    Far too many times people put too large of an exhaust pipe size for their application and most exhaust parts manufacturers say it is better to error on the low side. In the end the size is more or less determined by hp and the number i found was 2.2cfm flow per hp.

A square inch of straight pipe being able to flow 115cfm so with those numbers you can figure the proper size based on hp. So here are sizes to hp(estimated):
    2.00"<144hp
    2.25"<185hp
    2.50"<232hp
    2.75"<283hp
    3.00"<339hp

Info from: http://www.exhaustvideos.com/faq/how...pipe-diameter/

This is similar to the numbers i have seen in magazines, articles, etc over the years but still on the lower/conservative with a difference of around 50hp.

There are so many variables in making a proper exhaust system so i definitely say read up.

I'm certainly no expert but try to read up any time a situation/opportunity presents itself and have always subscribed to various popular automobile performance magazines for the last 15 years including Super Chevy, Hot Rod, Fast Fords, 5.0, Mopar, Super Street, Modified, Grassroots Motorsports and others.

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone RustRat's Avatar
    Drives
    Red NA8C 1.6L
    Thanks Given
    Useful info right here, Greasemonkey. I take it these numbers work for turbo applications, too, right?

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! Greasemonkey2000's Avatar
    Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,233 Posts
    Rustrat: As far as the size yes but again there are many factors like having a resonator(typically a must have for n/a or supercharger if you want to keep the decibels down) or not, muffler type/size and even exhaust tips when you are talking about sound/tone.

Again definitely not claiming to be an expert, just passing on what i have read/learned over the years. I was reading a article the other day that REALLY went into depth about exhaust systems, i think it was in super chevy or hot rod...can't recall but it was online.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123